View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 04:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lionheart
20/12/09

Thumbs up First Time Sharing

Hey Everyone

Well, its Day 16 and I am through it. Another day sober

I went to the meeting I first went to after looking up AA and found that I was not the only female in the room (after 2 previous meetings of it being full of men).

I havent expected to share since I started as I was new and had no idea what to say. I was asked last Wed and declined - it was my 1st time at that group and just wasnt up for it.

I dont really know what expectation goes with sharing or ettiquette or anything, only what I have heard others share.

I was called upon tonight and shared for the first time. Wow, how exhilarating is that! I started talking and couldnt shut up, had to laugh at myself, FINALLY my non stop chatter was useful somewhere. So I talked about how today I started to write down my history of drinking and when it started and events that have taken place.

I want to look back in my life and work out how I got to where I did. I spoke for some time about that and how by listening at meetings and identifying I had come to the realisation I was in the right place. The smile that come upon each group member was priceless. There were alot of people who had many many years of sobriety and some with little. And they were all happy to hear me talk about how I have found home, how I appreciate and am grateful for a place that makes me feel comfortable in speaking about something that has scared me for so long.

I spoke of how warm and generous the people are and how the welcoming smile and introduction encourages me to come back and how in 16 short days I feel I have learnt so much and am slowly starting to put some of those things into my life every day.

I am here today, grateful to have found AA but also this website. This website gave me the strength to go to the meeting, to make a start!

I am fairly good at being able to write things, well have the confidence to do it but face to face is alot harder and tonight, I overcame that and wow, I feel so different - almost.....liberated.

Thanks for reading
Rach