Notices

Book recommendations???

Old 12-15-2009, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Scars,Souvineers we never lose

Post Book recommendations???

I am sure this has been posted on this site quite a bit before, but i have been gone a few years but I am back, not sober, but figuring out how to get there b/c I am on the type of stuff you just cant stop without getting really ill and I have gone further this time in my using than I ever though I would so i need to have a plan to get sober other than just quit b/c I know I will get very sick. However that is not the point of my post right now althugh any and all feedback is always welcome in regards to my addiction and how to get out of it, but for now I am planning a quick trip to the library in a little bit and would really like some recommendations on books of recovery, I am a big reader, used to do a lot more reading when I wasnt drunk or high but now the only thing I know to go eight bakc to doing besides that to be happy in my life is to read. I have read quite a few books already and for me right now would prefer non-fiction autobiographies, hopefully not to trigger but that will inspire and give me ideas on looking into my own addiction. I have read the big book, 12steps 12 traditions, the NA book (sorry cant remember the name offhandf which prob. means I need to read it again a million little pieces, my friend leonard, scar tissue, and a few other just to give you an idea of those I liked.

I appreciate all of your suggestions. I am off to run some errands but will pop back in in a while to see if I have any recommendations before I head to the library.

THANK YOU!
Old 12-15-2009, 07:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is the last one that I read on addiction. Rising Above The Influence: A True Story about Alcohol, Drugs and Recovery by Stephen J. Della Valle. I enjoyed it, but it all depends on what you like.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good Reads

Hi,
I was never been a reader but now that I'm sober I have become one. I've read a couple good autobiographies on recovering alcoholics. "Drinking" is one by Caroline Knapp, thats good. "Living Sober" is also very good...very informative. Another one I have read is "Smashed".
If anybody has read anything else I would love to know too.
Sherie
Old 12-15-2009, 07:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"Dry" by Augusten Burroughs... Way good NonFiction Autobiography... Just what I think you are looking for.

Mark
Old 12-15-2009, 07:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Scars,Souvineers we never lose

Yep

I have read dry and all the rest of his books, that was a good one, thank you, he is a great writer!
Old 12-15-2009, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"Scissors"

Do you suggest reading "scissors" first?
Old 12-15-2009, 08:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, "Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp is my favourite.

I especially enjoy books about women who were alcoholics.

Mary Tyler Moore "After All"

Ali MacGraw "Moving Pictures"

Melissa Gilbert "Prairie Tale: A Memoir"

Ann-Margaret "My Story"

Betty Ford "A Glad Awakening"
Old 12-15-2009, 08:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the list Anna....I haven't read any of those. I'm ordering a couple now!
Old 12-15-2009, 10:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have to join the crowd who loves Augusten Burroughs..."Dry" is about my favorite book of all time, and I read it even before I'd started drinking and developed a drinking problem. (Read it again after starting AA - loved it the second time, too.)

I don't think you have to read "Running With Scissors" first, but you probably would enjoy it if you did. You could easily read them out of order, as well, and get just as much from them both. Burroughs has a couple of books of short stories, also, that are great. He's often described as a "darker, hipper David Sedaris" which is spot on.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Scissors was almost too close for comfort for me... while there are some important differences... I too grew up way too fast, my parents had their significant issues and my dad's best friend was a psych... Almost could have been me...

Mark
Old 12-15-2009, 09:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Here are some previous threads:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ighlight=books

A couple of other books of which I have heard the authors interviewed recently on the radio (NPR— you can look up the radio stream on their site) but haven't read; both are autobiographies:

Lit by Mary Karr
Thank Heaven by Leslie Caron (Gigi)

I just heard Dominick Dunne's son interviewed on the radio today, I guess he was in recovery as well. I don't know if he wrote about it though.