Notices

Alcoholism or Alcohol abuse?

Old 09-06-2009, 09:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism or Alcohol abuse?

Hello there. I'm new here and wanted to say hello. Last week I threw out a big garbage bag from my closet that had about 50 empty beer cans in it. The bag is full again and I'm a little worried.

I've been drunk everyday for about three weeks now and I find that as soon as I get into my car after work I'm plotting a way to get beer, hide it in my room, and then get drunk.

I've used alcohol to ease my anxiety in social situations or to numb the emotional emptiness I feel for as long as I can remember, but over the last 6 months I've had some real blackout experiences where I'm outside myself and acting real dumb.

Mostly now I drink by myself to be able to be by myself. I can sense a mounting doom with it and I'm afraid that I'll do something I'll regret- let alone the eventless slow decay of my life. I've detached myself from basically everyone I know due to the emptiness I feel- why would they want me in their lives, etc? I've been rationalizing it for a while now but I know I've got a problem- I'm just not sure what it is and I don't know what to do.

I honestly can't imagine a social life without alcohol. I stopped drinking a year ago for about 6 months and had zero social activity since I wanted to avoid the temptation but it was miserable and boring.

I bought a 6 pack yesterday early afternoo, drank it and then went to the bar. I drank more, met a group of random people and ended up at some party until 2 in the morning. The sad part is that it was a great time- I felt free and fun as I do when I drink. Everyone thinks I'm the life of the party. But waking up this morning I knew I was completely lifeless.

I don't really know why I'm here or what I'm asking. I guess specifically does this sound like alcoholism or alcohol abuse? There seems to be a difference but I don't know what it is...

Anyway, sorry for going on here on my first visit. Having read a lot of the posts there seems to be some similar tales- a lot of which I could see myself in.

Thanks for now, guys....
B
Old 09-06-2009, 10:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Golf Ball

I don't think any layman can really diagnose someone else in respect of alcoholism - and certainly not on the basis of one post.

There are 20 questions things you can take...search '20 questions alcoholic' on the net and take your pic....but does it really matter?

You know you have a problem no matter what you call it.
The really important question here is what are you going to do about it?

This is one of the best places to help you decide both questions anyway - it certainly helped me.

Welcome to SR, B

D
Old 09-06-2009, 11:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Red face

..you said you felt a mounting 'doom'..

..that was always the '1st' warning for me..

..keep posting..tell some more and most important...welcome..Oz..
Old 09-06-2009, 11:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Welcome, GolfBall...

Like the above posters said, it comes down to whether you feel you have a problem or not. If you feel you do, and you want to do something about it, well, here is a good place for you.

Either way, welcome!
Old 09-06-2009, 11:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My preferred description is "problem drinking"...it ain't working for me whether it is alcoholism or just a bad habit.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

After all these years sober I still like the description in the Big Book of AA, in the first paragraph of Chapter 4:

If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if, when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic.
Once I read that, I had no doubts left.

When I was a few months sober I took the 20 questions, and ended up answering all 20 YES. Was just further proof for me:

Here are 20 Questions designed to help you determine how alcohol
has affected your life.
1. Do you lose time from work due to drinking?
2. Is drinking making your home life unhappy?
3. Do you drink because you are shy with other people?
4. Is drinking affecting your reputation?
5. Have you ever felt remorse after drinking?
6. Have you got into financial difficulties as a result of drinking?
7. Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking?
8. Does your drinking make you careless of your family's welfare?
9. Has your ambition decreased since drinking?
10. Do you crave a drink at a definite time daily?
11. Do you want a drink the next morning?
12. Does drinking cause you to have difficulty sleeping?
13. Has your efficiency decreased since drinking?
14. Is drinking jeopardizing your job or business?
15. Do you drink to escape from worries or trouble?
16. Do you drink alone?
17. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking?
18. Has your physician ever treated you for drinking?
19. Do you drink to build up your self-confidence?
20. Have you ever been to a hospital or institution on account of drinking?

If you have answered YES to any of the questions, there is a definite
warning that you may be alcoholic.

If you have answered YES to any 2, the chances are that you are an
alcoholic.

If you have answered YES to 3 or more, you are definitely an alcoholic.

How many questions did YOU answer YES to?
Hope that helps.

Love and hugs,
Old 09-07-2009, 12:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Personally I don't subscribe to labels and questions. I could answer 'yes' to a heck of a lot but I could also answer 'no' to 'do I miss alcohol?' I won't mention what I was doing last night but here I sit with a mug of tea and shortly beginning work.
My point is this: I don't 'feel' myself with a problem. The fact that you seem to think you do have a problem suggests you did well to come here and be open. I wish you the best.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

It doesn't matter what you call it.

Do you want to change it?

If so, you're in the right place and we can help.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I honestly can't imagine a social life without alcohol
i couldn't either golfball, even when i started posting here... i also wondered whether i was a 'problem drinker' rather than an ' alcoholic'

when i read the same literature that Laurie6781 has posted for you i realised it didnt matter what i thought... i wanted to get back in control... and feel better

now i am just beginning to think about the rest of my life without alcohol, as despite how much i miss having the drink.... and how often i still crave......the way i am feeling is WAY better

My point is this: I don't 'feel' myself with a problem. The fact that you seem to think you do have a problem suggests you did well to come here and be open. I wish you the best.
sikkisirus;;;;well put, golfball this is a good place to be if you want to change your habits

cheers
k

ke
Old 09-07-2009, 06:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. The first thing that struck me about you post is how well it's articulated. It's obvious that a lot of thought has gone into your post. The fact that you've gone to the trouble to create an account here, and then post something so concise should be telling you something. Call it abuse, call it alcoholism -- whatever it is, it seems to be bothering you. Is it bothering you enough to do something about it? Please, stick around here and continue to read posts here. It will open your eyes to alot and the people here will give you tons of support.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome! I can relate a LOT to your post. For me my life, while fun sometimes, was just NOT fulfilling in the way I wanted it to be. I felt like there was something more out there that until I quit drinking I was not going to know what "it" was.

I knew what the other option was...I have been doing it for 15 years...I know what my life would look like that way.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 09-07-2009, 07:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"I don't really know why I'm here or what I'm asking. I guess specifically does this sound like alcoholism or alcohol abuse? There seems to be a difference but I don't know what it is..."

It appears to be a problem... under any alias.

Keep coming back.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The literature clearly states that alcoholism is the prolonged use of alcohol over an extended period of time. Alcohol abuse is usually the beginnings of alcoholism, when an individual uses alcohol over and over during an intense short period. Frequently, alcohol abuse morphs into alcoholism. Often, this is because the subject is unaware of the true pitfalls of using alcohol. Honestly, nip the abuse in the bud and stop drinking. Stop so that you remember what being alcohol-free is like. This is what most alcoholics forget, and they are forced to "remake" themselves, because alcoholism becomes such a huge part of their life.

Consult a doctor, and get help.

Good luck!
Old 09-07-2009, 07:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome.. of course we can't 'diagnose' you, even though 'alcoholism' isn't a diagnosis anyways.

My doctor called it alcohol abuse. My psychologist called it alcohol dependence. AA called it alcoholism. I've never called it a 'bad habit' but I guess there's that too, but I find it hard to associate something that was killing every part of my life to something like biting my fingernails or not using my turn signal.

The bottom line is, it sounds like you're living in hell.. mostly surrounded by an obsession with/dependence on, addiction to, alcohol. Regardless of what you call it, from reading your post it sounds also like stopping drinking would be the only way to clear the air enough to then see what else might be going on that is making you feel so horrible about yourself. I drank a lot of times to be with myself too.. I know exactly what you mean.

I haven't drank in around 9 months, and it's been the best thing I have ever done for myself. I love being with myself And I love life again. I was merely surviving every day (barely), and just getting through to the next, obsessed with when I could start drinking again. I wasted many years of my life, my marriage, my work.. everything, just to get drunk. It's no way to live, I don't care if you call it a made up word of your own. Do you want things to change? What are you prepared to do?
Old 09-07-2009, 07:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Call it what you want....and I think you already know what to call it.

Welcome to SR. Hope you stay...and read....and post!
Old 09-07-2009, 08:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....

Please read this link It's from the book that opened my eyes
about alcoholism and where I was on the downhill journey

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

You mentioned social activity?
In early sobriety I joined an AA
group of mostly singles.
We did all sorts of interesting fun things
outside of meetings....it was a blast.

Hope you find your way into a better lifestyle
I certainly have....so can you....
Old 09-07-2009, 08:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well it is obviously alcohol abuse, we can start there. And it's not a good idea to try to categorize your alcohol abuse between alcoholic or non-alcoholic. I tried that too and in retrospect, I was looking to be convinced that I was not an alcoholic, simply so I didn't have to worry about my drinkin! The longer I went trying to figure out whether or not I was an alcoholic, the more I drank and the closer I got anyway. I don't worry about it now. Even if I'm not an alcoholic in terms of the physical disease (and I probably am), I honestly can't handle alcohol or any drug. I abuse, I screw up, and I waste time. I couldn't even moderate alcohol from the first few times I got drunk. That's why I can't drink. It's effect on my mind and my life.

Don't bother looking at labels, because you can't put yourself in a box. Those are just words that are too easy to play with. You have a problem that you need to solve. If you can't handle alcohol, if you can't picture a functional life without it (or social life, love life, work life, etc.) then you need to stop drinking and LEARN not to use a crutch than is only destroying you and preventing you from addressing that emptiness in a healthy and sensible way.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I hope I hit the correct reply button for this thread! Should I have used the quick reply button?

A collective thanks to you all for responding! I was sort of nervous checking in here to see the reactions but the great energy from you all is quite a thing. Thanks to each of you..

It seems clear from what you say that the difference in terminology is secondary to the reality of what's going on. I took one of those question tests a few months ago and the one question that has stuck with me was: have you ever decided not to drink for a week and been unable to do it... answering yes to that I knew that something was up.

I'll dig around here and follow the links suggested and get a feel for things. I didn't drink yesterday so that's a good thing! I guess checking in here was some sort of step.

Cheers for now,
B

ps.. it seems odd that I'm signing of an email about my drinking problem to an alcohol abuse forum with a 'cheers', but from where I come from it's a simple thanks! It kind of made me laugh though....
Old 09-07-2009, 09:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmmm...

Sobriety is an exciteing adventure

I'm cheering for you too...
Old 09-08-2009, 04:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Cheers for now,
B
lol..... i sign off like that as well.. but never made the connection

glad your feeling good energy.. it really is a very helpful friendly site....

bye

k