Notices

August sobriety group

Old 08-18-2009, 12:25 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

checking in

Still sober but so tired. Maybe it's the hypoglycemia? I heard 40% of alcoholics have hypoglycemia. I can't check with our family doctor, because he doesn't know that I have a problem. I guess that's why we are all craving ice cream and sweets. I wonder when I'll stop being tired. VC, are we still on the same day?
Old 08-18-2009, 12:43 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR, Auden
You've found a great group here.

Effortjoy, I really urge you to confide in yr doctor - I understand your reluctance but some things are more important than public image I think. JMHO.

D
Old 08-18-2009, 02:56 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Heartwarming but sad reading some posts, to all of you that are winning the daily battle, you are surely in the right place, to those of you who are struggling, stay strong, as i do not know how i will fare yet..
To all new members like myself ,and all of you..
If you followed my thread, i did not drink last night for the first time in.cant remember... i am sitting here with my second cup of nettle tea, i am sweating profusely, is this normal, also some of you say you crave sweet things? i crave savoury up until now? will i gain weight also.. Yes! i am on day two... thanks a million folks.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:59 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by millieveronika View Post
Hi Everyone and Auden, This is day one for me, my last drink was last night around 6. This morning sucked! I'm feeling better but tired and not realizing how dangerous it was to detox on my own. I really want to be sober and enjoy this fall without sleeping through it and waking up sad and sick.
Good luck Millie, we are all here for you, fill your day, go for a walk plan a nice treat for supper.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:20 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

:ghug3
Originally Posted by BuddhaBear View Post
ust checking in. Heading into day 7 and still lurking here. Just using pure willpower to keep going with the mantra "I don't drink anymore." I still make my wife about three martinis (3 oz each) every night, and have my scotch bottle sitting on the bar - but untouched. Toughest thing right now is my wife. I never noticed how she was after three martinis because I had already had about 5 or 6 scotches by then. I averaged about a pint of scotch a day for years. Unbelievable.

BreakFree - I can relate. It is/was my wife that engendered so much of the stress. The issue though is not the person that causes the stress, its how you dal with stress. if not your husband, it will be something else that will cause stress at some time or another. We need to find other ways of dealing with stress - and not just try to remove the cause of the stress. Other stresses always come up.

aasharon - thanks for your great post!

Richard - congratulations!

ViciousCycle - have you ever thought of changing your screen name? It seems to me that your screen name is almost a self-fulfilling prophecy. Why not "CycleBreaker"?

bdiddy - You go - do it now. You know you can, even as tough as it is. I feel bad I didn't meet you sober after the weekend. But I'm confident I will next weekend. Do anything, do everything - there are no limits to what you can and should do to avoid drinking. There are drugs your doctor can give to help as well.

Sphalarite - wow - I can relate to much of what you are saying. I started at the age 12 (with scotch while living in Europe). 46 years later I got to a point of downing a 1.75 litre bottle every other day. I was scared to death of withdrawals. I was so scared that it became the most stressful thing in my life - a great excuse for not quitting. I have had a heart attack and heart disease - even more of an excuse to not stress my body with withdrawals, the potential life-threatening seizures, etc. Talk to your doctor and then just do it. Read everything you can on the internet about what alcohol does to you, what will happen when you quit - and then keep coming here for support. And you know what? Now is the time t be self-centered!! This is your life we are talking about here. this is your deal - and no one else's.

Good luck to all... don't stop trying...
Iadmire you greatly for just looking at that scotch bottle amazing willpower stay strong, it stands between you and the rest of your life, each evening you are empowering yourself even more.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:26 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BreakFree View Post
Hello All

16 strong and growing by the day! WHOO-HOO! Please let me know if I have missed anyone or added anyone in error! I hope this list is helpful in supporting and inspiring one another to further this journey toward a life free from alcohol addiction.

Listed in alphabetical order:

bdiddy5522
bohemianzen
box3
BreakFree
BuddhaBear
chrisfire
effortjoy
groggles55
Hanker
Jeb18
KindBird
layemstr8r
Richard54
sphalerite
traderjane
ViciousCycle

Sweet Dreams Everyone!
Hi Melissa, you need to update am hugging you and smiling. (cant add them, already too many.)
Old 08-18-2009, 03:35 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sphalerite View Post
Sphalerite here. I'm hoping this is my month. Thank you for the PM BreakFree. As I do not have five posts yet I cannot send a PM back in reply to yours, but it meant a lot to me. :-)

I have my Dr. appt tomorrow, and am very nervous about it...Haven't been to the OB/GYN since the follow up appointment after my (now) 4 year old was born.

I am an alcohol-obsessed self-centred, daily drinking alcoholic.

It has got to stop (so easy to say)...
"I am an alcohol-obsessed self -centred daily drinking alcoholic" Sphalerite you just admitted to it, first big step on your journey, stay strong we are all here for you.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:16 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  
grateful to be here

sitting here waiting to get picked up to go to my class.
the first day after my big bender (to those who don't know i got a dui) i was soaked all the next day sweating it out. so yes it happened to me also.
to the new peoples and ev1 starting over again.....best wishes and please post--every thread makes our august rope stronger. everyone helping everyone and we are all in it together sure does help me. i'm still going strong so far. hope u guys have a great tuesday
Old 08-18-2009, 04:44 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Tuesday Morning Roll Call! :)

Good Morning and Happy Tuesday! :)

25 strong and growing by the day! WHOO-HOO! :) Please let me know if I have missed anyone or added anyone in error! I hope this list is helpful in supporting and inspiring one another to further this journey we've begun together.

auden67
bdiddy5522
bohemianzen
box3
BreakFree
BuddhaBear
chrisfire
effortjoy
groggles55
Hanker
Jackstone
Jeb18
KindBird
lastthird
Midton
PurpleCat
Richard54
sphalerite
tallcactus
thirtybubba
TooMuchRum
traderjane
ViciousCycle
white horses
wildrover080209
Old 08-18-2009, 05:04 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Welcome again to Auden and Milliever.......also nice work whitehorses.......all of you for standing firm.

Effort, I think we are if memory serves. We are on day 11 today, yes? I would never have believed it a few short weeks ago! I had my 3rd good night's sleep but yet I am still tired. Funny tho, I am not really craving the sweets although I have been drinking juice........I get alot of exercise with work and last night really hit the bike trail hard. I wonder if that levels some things out. You will know if you are hypoglycemic......I dated a diabetic for a long time. He almost got sick......very shaky, very weak.....just awful. I think everyone that quits goes thru the sugar thing........look at all we have been pumping into ourselves! I was lucky enough to burn most of it off everyday (work again.)
Keep an eye on it......some is normal......but if it makes you feel awful, go get checked out as Dee suggested......this of course is just my opinion.....for what it's worth.

So Bdiddy and Richard are out of the starting gate........stay strong you guys, it's gonna suck but it will turn that corner and start getting good again, I promise!!!!!!! We are all here for you, let's do it this time!!!!!!!! Dig deep within......you want this!

I am off to work, but have a strong day peeps........and remember to mix up that routine today!!!!!!!!

Hugs.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:23 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Tuesday Roll Call...Take TWO!

Good Morning and Happy Tuesday!

26 strong and growing by the day! WHOO-HOO! Please let me know if I have missed anyone or added anyone in error! I hope this list is helpful in supporting and inspiring one another to further this journey we've begun together.

auden67
bdiddy5522
bohemianzen
box3
BreakFree
BuddhaBear
chrisfire
effortjoy
groggles55
Hanker
Jackstone
Jeb18
KindBird
lastthird
Midton
millieveronika
PurpleCat
Richard54
sphalerite
tallcactus
thirtybubba
TooMuchRum
traderjane
ViciousCycle
white horses
wildrover080209

NOTE: I KNEW something was off! So sorry! :O
Old 08-18-2009, 05:27 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Might as well take me off the list... Maybe in a few days. Right now I can't deal with anything. Don't have a clue what happened.

I mean, aside from the obvious. I'm not shirking responsibility, I'm just out of my league here.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:32 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don't write yrself off Bubba - still half of August to go yet
Don't lose yourself in despair - mark it up, rule it off and start again...

try and work out what did go wrong...was it not getting the transport to go to the meeting, or something deeper?

Don't give up
D
Old 08-18-2009, 05:46 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

tallcactus...Way to beat those voices! :)

(((thirtybubba)))...Stay strong! You can do this...we both know you can. I can relate to what you posted and the frustration that comes with it all is enough to send us running, but we are standing firm this time! NO MORE! I have a challenge for you today...should you choose to accept it...do all of your laundry and come back and post that it is done! :)

Jackstone...Way to go pushing through Day 2! Welcome to Day 3! :) :) :) I have been feeling this very same thing...
I need to just go to bed and be done with it for today.
(((bdiddy)))...That stinks that you have a cold on top of withdrawal! :( I am not familiar with what kind of help is out there beyond AA so I feel like I don't have any good advice :( From what you've told us, the physical withdrawal that you experience is pretty bad and if you could get some help with that, it might not take such a toll on you emotionally. Just a thought...I really don't know.

(((auden67)))...Welcome to our "home away from home" here at SR! :) I am SO glad you are here with us! :) My heart aches for your loss. What a beautiful way to honor A's memory. I drank to relieve stress as well and my addiction formed over time. The biggest thing I have learned this time around is to expect that when the alcohol is out of my system, that the problems will still be there. I'm trying to train myself to let go and remember that I can only control myself (which really makes me MAD...but the fact remains...not matter how angry that makes me). As the days go by, I find myself becoming calmer and calmer...more able to deal with the stress and anxiety of life. It still stinks, but I am in control, have no guilt to add to it all and am not hungover each day. Another thing I realized is that I've been trying to start each day hungover and so I was operating with only half of my potential...if that :( We are SO HERE FOR YOU and I believe that every person in this group, if they really want to rid their lives of alcohol, CAN DO IT and WILL! :) :) :)

(((millieveronika)))...Welcome! :) I am with you! No more wasting precious time! I am SO GLAD you are here! :)

effortjoy...I am right there with you, my friend! I am SO TIRED :( I haven't started exercising yet, but I'm hoping it will help...sugar is evil too and I'm thinking it's got to go...this ice-cream every night thing has got to stop...hang in there...you are doing so well! I'm following right behind you! :) :) :)

(((Dee74)))

whitehorses...WAY TO GO! :) :) :) I enjoyed reading your posts :) I was going to post or blog about this today regarding the sweets. I have had many weak attempts at giving up alcohol and everytime I suffered from insomnia. It is only Day 5 for me, but I have had no insomnia...very unusual for me. The only thing different this time is that I am eating ice-cream every night! Not so much because I am craving the sweets (I could *always* indulge, truth be told), but because it's been hot here for the first time this summer and the kids have been asking for it! Anyway...not sure if there if there is a connection between sugar and sleeping...I know that alcohol is very high in sugar and when you stop drinking, your body is also detoxing/withdrawing from sugar...could there be a link between sugar detox and insomnia? Hmmm...

bohemianzen...I love this...
please post--every thread makes our august rope stronger.
That should be motto! Something like...
"August Class 2009: Where every thread makes our rope that much stronger."

VC...You are doing SO AWESOME! :) I am so happy reading your posts and reports! Keep up the great work! You inspire and motivate me greatly! :)

Let's keep moving forward and make this a great day everyone! :) :) :)
Old 08-18-2009, 05:53 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

(((thirtybubba)))...NO!!! NO! NO! NO! You are not off the list and you cannot take a few days...you have to stop now. Today. Go take a shower, go for a walk and then do your laundry. Drink water with lemon. Forgive yourself and let it go. Let it go. Stop thinking. You needed that meeting last night, didn't you? Go back and read your posts through the last few days. You can do this! YOU CAN! YOU have to want to more than the part of you that doesn't...Be strong thirtybubba...you know it's in there!
Old 08-18-2009, 06:06 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Hi folks, just been looking at some natural remedies to help with anxiety, sleeplessness etc, anyone tried Valerian? just google it sounds just the thing i am off to get some, also the nettle tea is good for detox, purifys the blood, and is a mild diuretic, i take mine with a spoonful of unrefined sugar, you could try lemon juice,have to say i found it pleasant, even 1st thing in morning, refreshes the palate.
Pleas google Valerian, i know some of you take Xalac... hope that is right word, Valerian helps you come off that too.:ghug2
Old 08-18-2009, 06:10 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thirtybubba View Post
Might as well take me off the list... Maybe in a few days. Right now I can't deal with anything. Don't have a clue what happened.

I mean, aside from the obvious. I'm not shirking responsibility, I'm just out of my league here.
bub, please stay, i dont know any of you personally but be sure you are IN your league! I have never confronted my demon before , she was a dirty secret from friends, the devil in my family, but being her i can say Hey demon, name and shame!
Old 08-18-2009, 06:18 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Welcome Auden and the new people. Glad you are all here. Well, I am home from work today with a killer cold. Thinking it may be a good thing since alcohol is the last thing on my mind when I feel this crappy. Here's to day 2. Let's do this people!!!!
Old 08-18-2009, 06:20 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Okay thirty, I went back and read your last post...let's break it down...let us help you...we care and we are here for you!

I'm glad to see so many people getting to that point where they're taking care of old business that they let slide. That's something I got to get into.
So let's do this...

I just wish so many of my problems are so totally beyond my current ability to resolve. With that mountain range right there, the little foothills seem unclimbable too, and then I don't get anything done at all.
I'd like to recommend a book...just what you need...another book, huh? It's called Getting Things Done by David Allen...you can have a look here:
Amazon.com: Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity (9780142000281): David Allen: Books

This book really helped me. Basically, you right out EVERYTHING that is in your mind. Anything that is going to take just a few minutes, you put on a TO-DO list and you just do them. Then you take the bigger items and label them in order of importance. Once you have done that, you begin to list all the small steps you need to take to complete/fix the item. You write down how long it will take to complete the steps. Again, those items that will only take a few minutes go onto a TO-DO list and get done immediately. Items requiring more time, get placed on a calendar. You keep a master sheet and check off the items as they are completed. The list gets smaller and you begin to feel a great sense of accomplishment and self-worth.

Like laundry. I really need to do laundry, and I don't know what's stopping me.
You are stopping you! Just like I stop me! Get yourself a timer. That's what I do. I set a timer for 5-10 minutes and tell myself I'm just going to get up and get moving for 5-10 minutes...the next thing I know, I mustered up some energy and I keep going! :) Someone that has really helped me stop what she calls "Stinkin' thinkin" and strive to lose my perfectionist attitude is FlyLady. You can find her at FlyLady.net: Your personal online coach to help you gain control of your house and home. She's awesome :)

I was supposed to go to a AA meeting tonight (according to my 'team'--don't know what else to call them) but the transportation didn't work out. On the other hand, I had the planning meeting for the student association, so it's really starting to feel like the fall semester is here. Fall will be busier, I'll be more involved with more classes and clubs and whatnot. Ought to cut down on the boredom/free time. I hope.
It has got to be hard not having transportation :( It sounds like you really, really need a good group/team. How did you like this particular one that you visited the other day? Is there any way you could get a list of people to call to ensure you have a ride to the meetings? Sort of a back up plan? How far is the meeting place from you dorm? Is there a bus? Is it a safe area? Do you have a bike? Arrrrgh...I wish we could help! If riding a bike is an option (distance, safety, bike storage) that might be the best scenario. Do you have a bike? If not, have you ever heard of Freecycle? This might be a great resource for you being in college...especially since your roommate left with so much:
The Freecycle Network

I hope this helps a little thirtybubba...please let us know if there is any way we can help :) It's got to be hard being there by yourself. If there are any things on that list that you need some ideas for how to take care of, please let us help! :)

Much love and hugs! :)
Old 08-18-2009, 06:20 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

G'day another beauty day here in the northwest. A good inspiration for me...not to sit out in the shop with a bottle. So far so good...another one day down and still lovin it. Hey BreakFree have to say your bubbly attitude is a bit infectious and helpful. I'm just a day behind you and I hope it stays that way for both our sakes. I'm looking at a full work day and a few apologies that are necessary. It helps in staying focused on things ahead I need to make ammends to some people for some things done or not done over the last few months of my on again off again sobriety....seems like the off again has a much larger impact on ones life than the short times of the on again sobers. I have to say that the backslides have goten shorter in duration since I started my first real attempt in Feb. I'm hoping that's a good sign and not just some stupid rational for getting a little bit more control of this thing that brought us all here and being able to handle the drink. I'm truly enjoying the clarity of mind that seems to grow each day of staying sober...got a ways to go, but each days things do get a bit clearer and my recall gets a bit more accurate as to what really happened the day or week before. Ok time to get out there and knock another day down. Keep kickin ass at the staying sober thing since it helps not just you but the ones around you as well as the folks in this bunch that are on the same the journey....I know I get strength from a lot of the words here!!