Notices

Why does AA make me so nervous?

Old 07-26-2009, 04:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Red face

My old ideas got me in alot of trouble and didn't allow me to look outside myself for the answers. I could write a one-thousand page dialectical on how I tried to make AA suit me but the bottom line is: my old way of attempting to control my drinking did not work for me so I admitted a personal defeat and was willing to begin engagement with a program that I to rebelled against. I am not drinking today and I actually feel fine. It does Work!!!!
Old 07-26-2009, 05:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hello, A long time since I've been on this site.
My view on AA. Without it I dont think I'd be around today. I use AA to get and stay sober, I've never believed in a higher power but have respect for those that do and expect respect in return. I get involved in service, made tea after 3 months, literature after 6 months and then the most rewarding thing I've ever done is phone service.
Most people call for info on meetings or first timers needing help, but I also got calls from people who just wanted to blame AA for them not being sober, they would complain about the higher power, the slogans, the people at the meetings not calling them, AA was a cult (even though you dont have to go), the only thing these people didnt blame was themselves.
AA is not a magic wand you wave over drunks to get them sober, it is a group of people trying to help people like them get better, but if you want it you are going to have to work hard at it and keep working.
Dont make excuses not to go to AA, that's the easy option.
The one slogan than for me says it all is 'It works if you work it' so work it

Neil
sober Oct 27, 2003
Old 07-26-2009, 05:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmmm....
I don't try to convince anyone about the AA program.
For me.....
It's an awesome adventure in living a positive
healthy sober life...with purpose and joy....

If that is not true in your life....
I sincerely hope you will find whatever makes that happen.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi -

I think many people new to sobriety think the rest of their lives is going to be spent with every muscle tensed, pushing with all their might against the urge to drink.
Kinda like *I* feel every time I quit smoking.

The important thing to know is - that's not how it is.

Whether you 'do' AA or not.

That feeling passes.

In the beginning, I was kinda bummed out about not being 'able' to hang with people I usually hung out with, that I'd be restricted...
I came to learn that in the Fellowship of AA,
I've never met more cool people.
And there's NEVER been an occasion for me to respect so many
under the same roof all at one time.

You know how the people in AA say that
once they got in - and got into it -
their lives became more than they ever imagined was possible?
I used to listen to them say that, too -
until about five months ago....
I realized that -
my OWN life has become so much more than anything I'd imagined possible.

Can't blame me for wishing that for you as well.

There's so much in this world better to focus one's life on than alcohol and being high.

I hope you find that.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:47 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

After reading my post back I think its souns quite bad in some ways.
The urge to not drink does get easier and easier to the point where I dont think much about it. What I meant by you have to keep working is that you can never take your sobriety for granted and let you guard drop, not that you will spend the rest of you life on edge (which is how I sounded)
AA will help get your life back if you let it, I found the most help was people knew the problems you may encounter and could give advice sometimes before they happened.
I'm sorry my first post was a bit crap and hope this clears it up a bit
Old 07-27-2009, 04:16 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by barb dwyer View Post
hi -

I think many people new to sobriety think the rest of their lives is going to be spent with every muscle tensed, pushing with all their might against the urge to drink.
Kinda like *I* feel every time I quit smoking.

The important thing to know is - that's not how it is.

Whether you 'do' AA or not.

That feeling passes.

You know how the people in AA say that
once they got in - and got into it -
their lives became more than they ever imagined was possible?
I used to listen to them say that, too -
until about five months ago....
I realized that -
my OWN life has become so much more than anything I'd imagined possible.
That's just about the best reply I could have asked for! Thank you
Old 07-27-2009, 06:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Hey Hudstar welcome to SR.

My name is Martin and I am an alcoholic.

I bolded Martin, because that is me, an individual and I bolded alcoholic because that is a part of Martin.

Before I got sober and got into AA I was no longer an individual, I was a drunk that alcohol controled.

Thanks to getting sober and then staying sober using the steps and fellowship of AA I have become B]Martin[/B], an individual, there is no other like me (Many are thankful for that LOL).

Nothing owns me, nothing tells me what to do, I am free of the bonds of my alcoholism and today am free to choose all things in my life sanely, sober, and of my own free will. All of this freedom and individualism I owe to the program and fellowship of AA.

I chose to follow suggestions from folks in AA because I had determined that my way of staying sober was a complete failure and since they were alcoholics and were sober they obviously knew how to stay sober when I did not. Some of those suggestions when I first heard them seemed silly, but I followed them because there were a lot of sober alcoholics that did the same thing and they stayed sober, today those suggestions make sense to me, they sure did not when I first heard them.

When I go to an AA meeting I look around and there are people from every walk of life there, all with one thing in common, they are alcoholics!

There are aethiest, agnostics, Christians, Jews, Hindu, Muslim, etc., balcks, whites, hispanics, Native Americans, etc., rich & poor, young & old. Like me they have found a Power greater then them selfs that has given them the ability to stay sober and become individuals free of the bonds of thier alcoholism.

To my knowledge very few of them practice any type of religion, but I know some do. They are all individuals with thier own taste in music, careers, & hobbies.

If you saw these people in the mall or just walking doen the street you could not tell they are alcoholics or a member of any particular group.

You see for me AA put me on a path to freedom, I choose what I want to do, no one tells me what to do or when (Unless I am at work! LOL).

I am me, I am Martin, if you met me anywhere except an AA meeting there is no way you could ever tell I was in AA.

Trust me, the last place in the world I ever wanted to go was to AA, I was convinced it was for losers with out a life.

When I first got sober I went to a ton of meetings, today I go to 3 a week, the primary purpose I go today is to share my experience, strength, and hope with other alcoholics that they to may achieve long term happy sobriety. I also go to continue to learn how others live life on lifes terms sober, because I can always learn more. I also go to chat with friends I have made, real friends who I know I can call on for anything at any time just like they can call on me.