Notices

OT .. Cigarette tax!!

Old 04-02-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

I use an e-cig, it's great. I get the nicotine (in whichever strength I want) with no tars or other crap. And in whatever flavor I want.

Today it's Mint

DC can stick their tax up their a$$.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:03 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chiynita View Post
Whoa!! I dont know if other staes have done this. Or are going to. Butyesterday New York state tobacco tax went up another dollar and something. They just raised 1.25 last year. My aunt paid 15 dollars for 2 packs of cigarettes today.
It is a federal tax so every state is going to go up. What makes it worse is that this tax is ON TOP of the existing state taxes. So, you may see your prices increase 2-3 times. I cannot handle quitting two addictions at one time. And, since cigarettes don't impair my ability to drive I think I will keep on smoking for a while.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:26 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I know I would. But I dont have a job and literally have no money. So I am not smoking because I cant more than want. LOL..
Might as well take advantage of it. But it is really hard.
I crave cigs alot. With drugs. The cravings dont strt for me until a month or more after stopping. And they go faster. Cigs are so much more addictive IMO.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:51 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Dismember

If they start taxing coffee I'm pretty sure a lot of my AA comrades will leave the country.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:05 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

These taxes are going to force A LOT of people to quit (me included, been procrastinating, no more). Think so many quitting at once, due to cost, and with the economy sucking, just think of the STRESS, the whole world could become CRAZY!
Old 04-02-2009, 02:05 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

I'll be interested to see what they tax next, when there aren't enough smokers to fund their most recent social experiment.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:21 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Yup, Ohio went up too. It totally sucks big time. I quit last week, but after being really grumpy and having some bad dreams about smoking crack, I bought a pack today. Not proud of it, but I haven't had those dreams in a while and I didn't like them one bit. Ugh. Almost 60 days here. Technically tomorrow, but I pick up the key tag on the 4th. I am ready to FINALLY get that one. LOL. And be 99.9% drug free (I do count the cigs as a drug). I wanted to be ready to quit, but I am guessing my mind is not ready yet.. Good luck to you, though. I hope you can do it. Maybe it will inspire me to try again in a month or so...
Old 04-02-2009, 02:21 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Still Waters View Post
I'll be interested to see what they tax next, when there aren't enough smokers to fund their most recent social experiment.
they'll tax us. if they cannot get the money from our bad habits, they will get it from our income. hmmm, glad i don't work right now.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:34 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I buy tobacco by the bag...big bag that is. So wow it did go up...but not too bad for me as I roll my own at about 5 cents a smoke now...was about 3 cents a smoke before the tax. Yet already I was offered some black market brand label smokes from the local gang. Yea I can see where this is going in my neighborhood. Greater health care for the masses and for guns and drugs for the local hommies. Geeze.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:38 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Cigarettes haven't gone up here in the UK, but they are very expensive and 6 pounds a packet. I'm going to join my American cousins in a smoking strike - I give up today as well.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:21 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

today is my 6th day without a cigarette. I have 140 hours without a cigarette in 10 minutes, but who's counting !