Notices

OT .. Cigarette tax!!

Old 04-01-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

OT .. Cigarette tax!!

Whoa!! I dont know if other staes have done this. Or are going to. Butyesterday New York state tobacco tax went up another dollar and something. They just raised 1.25 last year. My aunt paid 15 dollars for 2 packs of cigarettes today.
Unbelievable.
I couldnt afford generic. I was buying rollies at $2 a pouch. Now they are $5. I have no choice but to quit now. Which isnt a bad thing.
I have really been wanting to. This is just making me now. Instead of me procrastinating.
NY is taxing the heck out of everything it seems like. I guess they will be doing alcohol tax too.
Cant say I am too upset about it. It will have its upside.

I just slapped a patch on. Bout time I get some use out of them.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Trish,

NC is too. Cigarettes went up $.61 a pack 2 weeks ago. I head on the radio this morning that another tax is going into effect today which will raise them another $1.30 a pack. I'm waiting for my husband or a parmedic to call and tell me that he's had a heart attack at Walgreen's trying to buy us cigarettes!

We've had patches for weeks now and we keep saying we are going to quit - when the time is right. I think I have to find the time!!!

What sucks is here, tobacco is NC's #1 crop and it's the new governor that has implimented this tax. She is going to kill her state's farmers because alot of people are going to quit. In this recession, who can afford it.

I decided (and this may not be funny at all) that between smoking and drinking specialty coffee, I will soon be spending as much as a drug addict to keep my little legal addictions alive. The pot is calling the kettle black. Uh oh!
Old 04-01-2009, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i just finished my last cigarette...and with that i'm done with coffee....just for today
Old 04-01-2009, 01:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow, over $7 a pack is crazy!
Yeah in MN its almost $5 a pack. I only smoke like a pack every couple weeks. I really only do it at work so I can take a break or if Im hanging out with my sister & she is smoking.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well There goes that idea. We lived in NC for almost 8 years in the 90s. So I know how cheap they were. I was thinking to call my uncle in Charlotte and have him send me some. So much for that.
Oh well..I will be so happy if I can quit smoking. More so than the drugs.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Here in NJ I pay 7.95 per pack. I can't afford it much more either.
Now I'll have to quit smoking which causes weight gain and I already have to lose weight.
EGAD
Old 04-01-2009, 01:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I quit a week ago.. ours went up from $4.50 to 6.50 ... guess not AS bad as some places but.. geesh! And quitting smoking will not cause weight gain if you don't replace the smokes with food :P
Old 04-01-2009, 01:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

((Trish)) - I'd heard about the tax thing a little over a week ago. I made the decision that the carton I bought then, was the last one I was buying. I've got 4 more packs to go, then I'm buying the patches. My 15-year-old niece is going to try to quit, too (she never should have started...blame stepmom on that one). Stepmom doesn't even want to try to quit and dad is ready to smack her. She asked me to "chip in" some money to buy her cigs the other day...told her if I wasn't spending any more money on MY cigs, I dam sure ain't spending it on anyone else's!!

I guess we're lucky...saw a sign today, and mine are still under $5/pack, but just barely. It's still time to quit. I tried cold turkey last time...was a total b***h and ate everything that wasn't nailed down. Hope the patches help in those respects!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 04-01-2009, 01:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

it's here in CALI too .61 cents. I quit for the last time over a year ago, before that I was smoke free 4 years. SO I'm pretty good at quitting things, I can offer this I was a smoker of a pack a day or better for 10 years+ and when I quit it was only hard for 3-4 days then it gets easier. (cutting down doesn't work!! must be cold turkey or your just kidding yourself.

All you have to do is do it!!! A few days of hell for a lifetime of freedom and life.
in the beginning I would get close to people smoking and breath in and then I would stare them down, now it smells Horrible
and I can't believe I used to smell like that.

And if you quit no matter how long you are smoke free DO NOT
under any circumstances have that celebratory cigar when your friend has a baby. That brings you in like you wouldn't believe.

I would urge everyone to use this price increase as the incentive to quit!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

ALL of our taxes in Cali went up today

April Fools Day History Now Includes Very Real California Sales Tax Hike

Catch your breath and add it up. In July, Los Angeles County sales taxes will come in at 9.75%, and 10.25% and 10.75% in a handful of the county's smaller cities.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

here in australia a pack of longbeach 40's are about $20. works out to be just under $14us a pack! Glad i dont smoke, but my better half does!
Old 04-01-2009, 02:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hate the smell now.
My father quit and never looked back right after he got sober 20+ yrs ago. My one aunt quit about 2 yrs ago and she never looked back either.
Both were very heavy smokers. I only smoke like a 1/2 pk a day.
When I was gettin high tho. I could smoke 3 or more very easily.
I am goin to look at this as a good thing.
LOL..Until the cranky maen attitude comes on. Then I will have to lock myself away from people for a little while.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

((Trish)) - that's what I'm worried about How the heck am I supposed to wait tables and expect a good tip when I'm ready to rip everyone's head off? Guess it's time to put my recovery tools and good attitude into overdrive, huh? Don't the patches help with that? A customer/friend told me they did. I can just see me...going to a table and yelling "you want WHAT!?!??!"
Old 04-01-2009, 02:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

LOL..The patches work good for me. Especially te first few days. It my thinking that gets me.
I am not sure about the attitude and pathces. The longest I have not smoked was only in jail and rehab. Didnt have any attitude problems at all then. Guess because you know theres no way you could smoke anyway.
I am scratchin my patch like it is a scratch release or something. Itchin it like more nicotine will come out. LOL
Thi sought to be a fun few days.

I am already saying in my mind.."I am not a smoker. I dont smoke." LOL
Old 04-01-2009, 02:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

sort of like a scratch'n'sniff, huh? I didn't have a problem when I was locked up, either, but as soon as I got to the diversion center, where the other girls were smoking, I was DYING for a cigarette!

My problem is everyone I work with smokes my brand It's a small restaurant, so I can see them all out front, smoking. I think, this time, though, I'm ready to quit. Last time I wasn't...I just wanted to save money, but my heart wasn't in it. This time it is, even though I'm still smoking until the carton is gone...not going to throw away that money.

At least I'll have dad's support. He quit after smoking 4 packs/day for decades...has been quit for over 10 years. I also made a payment agreement on a collection account that is going to cost me an extra $200/month, but will save me $3000 in the long run. I can come up with $150 of that in cigarette money, so that's a little incentive, right there!

Can't wait to get in my car and it won't smell like smoke!
Old 04-01-2009, 02:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

the governments in the states and the fed gov have gotten out of hand.
They are forgetting why they are there and apparently have forgotten we have something called a Constitution.The high taxes and even rising taxes are just a outward sign of their irresponsibility,and neglect of it.
here in NC,we used to be called the land of the cheap cigarettes,but not anymore.I smoke,but what I`m seeing our state and fed gov`s doing to us has me smoking more,and I don`t mean cig`s.....I mean it ticks me off.There has to be a point when we say "no more" to the way the gov`s are doing us.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Location: Here's me. but when drinking could be found in doorways!
chiynita....
If that patch starts itching (unless on purpose)... you may need a different brand... and please remember each time you put a fresh one on... to change where it goes... not meant to put it in the same place...

Little bit of advice too... dont try and roll it to smoke... sticks to the lip... I tried to be smart and did it... not fun

I dont know why but since i stopped drinking... i have been stocking up on baccy like its going out of fashion...
Have 30 2oz packs in the draw.... and i still think i need more for some reason... i smoke 2/3 2oz packs a week.

Good luck you guys anyway
Old 04-01-2009, 03:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

10% sales tax in California?!?!?! That's absolutely insane.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by Texasblind View Post
10% sales tax in California?!?!?! That's absolutely insane.
I know tell me about it.....

and the kicker is, when we filed our taxes this year,
the state was "too broke" to give us our refunds.........
Old 04-01-2009, 03:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
Don't the patches help with that? A customer/friend told me they did. I can just see me...going to a table and yelling "you want WHAT!?!??!"

I have been using the patch for 9 days now. The first few days were still hard with the patch... But it's getting easier with each passing day...

Be Well