Notices

OT .. Cigarette tax!!

Old 04-01-2009, 03:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi, I've been looking at stop smoking sites all night, then I come on here and read this, must be a sign lol! The cigs I smoke here cost around about £6.50p for a twenty pack which converts to around $9.50 USD, so very expensive. Must must stop, horrible disgusting habit, have gotten to the stage that I can smell smoke off me at all times and it makes me feel sick. Just another thing to thank my boozing and drugging for, I was a non smoker until I got hooked into these addictions but like many ended up addicted to nicotine too!
Old 04-01-2009, 04:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Smoking is the only bad habit I have left... and not ready to quit just yet... will have to cut down tho...

Do you have to have a doctor's scrip for the patch? And does anyone know if the patch is dispensed based on the weight of the person using them? Like higher or lower 'dose' patches? I've never used them and don't know if I should check into it.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

LOL..I dont think trying to roll the patches and smoking them will be a problem.
I just went to my cousins and got one off him. Ok..SO I wont buy any for now. And I am not around any smokers hardly.
I havent had a bad craving yet. Its only been since noon since I had one.
Except the one I just smoked from my couisn.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:16 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You can get a script but dont need one. I got mine free from a NY quit smoking hotline. They send em out like every 3 mos. By request.
I get like 20 a box. And they determine the dosage by how much you smoke I think.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Cigs went up here in CT too. It's really pretty crazy, and I just can't justify the expense now. It's too much that could be put to use elsewhere.

I'm currently cutting back on how much I smoke and at night after my prayers (this will sound stupid) I visualize myself running and being able to breathe while doing it lol.

My health insurance just kicked in so I'm making a doc apt and going to try that Chantix stuff. I'm not looking forward to it.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

the cigarette tax that went into effect today was federal, I heard it on the radio, I think it is the first federal tobacco tax raise in a decade, so no matter what every state is getting a hike, but probably some states are tacking on their own raise

The federal money from the tax is going to healthy kids fund or something like that for healthcare for the under-18
Old 04-01-2009, 05:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I tried Chantix about 2 yrs ago. I took it about 3 or 4 weeks. But I dont think it did much. Plus they made me get sick toward the end there. But everyone is different.
I tried the inhaler too. Talk about disgusting. Puffing on that thing was like licking an ashtray. It was horrible.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:57 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sfgirl View Post
the cigarette tax that went into effect today was federal, I heard it on the radio, I think it is the first federal tobacco tax raise in a decade, so no matter what every state is getting a hike, but probably some states are tacking on their own raise

The federal money from the tax is going to healthy kids fund or something like that for healthcare for the under-18
It was federal, and many states used this as "cover" to raise the state tax.

In terms of the "it's for the children" mantra, does anyone really believe this? Our social security is supposed to be earmarked too, but congress of both parties has been spending it since 1964.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:17 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

on the west coast mine brand basic went up a nickle to $5.05.

A few weeks before i go out to burning man i order cartons
off the internet for about $15 each. have done this a few times
over the years. good qualty, so shipping time. but delivered
to your door by the post man. they sell europen made us brands
Old 04-01-2009, 10:19 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I just have to share this with all of you. My smoking had been bothering me for a while and I was always "going to stop". Out of curiosity I went to the Nicotine/Smoking section of the forum here at SR just to look around. I poked around for a couple of days and wound up stopping for good. That was a couple of weeks ago and I am doing great. I did it cold turkey and yeah the first few days are tough but after that it has been much easier.

Please come join us! Kendra is doing the same thing. The group of folks are wonderful and will keep you motivated while providing great ideas. You can even join us for our daily check in where we rejoice in gratitude and whine in harmony. It's lot's of fun!

Don't try to quit, just do it and be done forever!
Old 04-01-2009, 10:27 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Glad I don't smoke. And that always sounds weird to me because to finish the sentence properly for so long I had to say, "I don't smoke cigarettes." Because there were plenty of other things I smoked. I kinda quit worrying about second-hand cigarette smoke when I started inhaling just about anything else into my lungs.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:01 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I have ordered cigs online before. They came from Switzerland. MArlboro. You could tell they were different. The markings were off. And they kinda tasted a little different too.
I am so fiendin right now. I mean I am just hyper, jumpy, like I dont know what to do with myself. This is going to be harder than the drugs.
But I just gotta make it through the discomfort and I know it will get easier. It feels like hell right now.
Drugs dont make me crave like cigs do. After I already start they do. But I can usually handle the cravings for crack if I havent smoked yet.
NY made it illegal to purchase cigs online. And I think they have it to where you cant even have them shipped from another state. Like a family member sending them. but I could be wrong.
I am goin to give this my best. But I dont know. I may break down.
If I had money I wouldnt even be trying to quit to be honest.
Well..Good job to the ones successful so far. And good luck to those about to quit or are trying now.
GRRRR!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 11:04 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

mine came from some place out of the old ussr, the ucrane i think
they seemed just fine to me
Old 04-01-2009, 11:09 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Mine were fine too. But I could tell a slight difference.
Wish I could get them now.
I wondewr how they know your ordering them online or if you get them sent to you from another state. Or I wonder what they do if you get caught.
Crazy.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:20 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

(((Trish))) - I'm pretty sure it's a federal offense to have them sent by mail from anywhere

I was going to send a friend, here, some to Alaska because they were WAY more expensive back when they were only $3/pack here. Decided I didn't want to do federal time for some cigarettes.

Sorry you're having a rough time. Guess I'll be right with ya in a couple days.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 04-01-2009, 11:55 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Never settle.

My small amount of research indicates that it's not actually illegal to mail cigs. BUT, officially speaking, when you receive them in the mail you owe tobacco tax and/or use tax on them. This applies whether they are sent by a friend or you buy them over the Internet. If you purchase online you must pay the taxes to the state/county where you live. If the seller doesn't collect the taxes, you are supposed to pay them anyway.

And some states put a tax stamp on cigs. If you have too many packs without the state's tax stamp, you get fined for it.

But... ya know, consult general counsel prior to taking my advice.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:56 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

i am smoke free and coffee free today.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:41 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

AAAAGHHHHH!!!
I am going through the uges like crazy!
I have tried everything to get a couple dollars. Nothing, Not even a penny. LOL.
Thats a good thing. But I am feeling the madness.
The patch is not doing anyting for me.
And it was real hard not having a smoke with coffee this morning.
If I can make it today. I can do it again tomorrow and so on.
But dang!
GRRRRRRRR!!!!!
Old 04-02-2009, 08:54 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I have patches and Chantix. I haven't heard that you can't use them together. I bought two packs of Dorals this morning and they were only about $6.50 but that's still up almost $2.00. I could always get them at Walgrees - 2 packs for just under $5.00.

The clerk informed me that the state tax that I was talking about yesterday, had not gone into effect. The stores are waiting and they will go up another dollar and change a piece again.

I might have to get familiar with the Nicotine forum here very soon.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:29 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Me too Ms Magoo.
I will probably need it. No I know I do.
I am better now. The morning is tough. I am use to having that cig first thing and with my coffee.
I am doin ok ignoring the cravings. Later tonight will be tough too.