Notices

Something disturbing happened

Old 03-02-2009, 07:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Something disturbing happened

This really has nothing to do with drinking and I wasn't going to share, but I really need to. This is the only place I feel that I can bring this up...

Early this morning my daughter woke up at about 3:30 am, she got up and came into our bedroom to get Tannah our beagle to come sleep with her. I guess she startled my husband and he yelled at her to get out. Next he went into her room and told her how stupid it was to come around his side of the bed when he keeps a loaded gun next to him.

I didn't know about this until this afternoon when my daughter told me and my husband confirmed it.

He is paranoid right now that we are at the end of times. He is putting together a survival kit; he has mapped out an escape route up into the mountains in case we need to flee. We have enough guns and rifles for everyone in our family to have one of each. He seems to be going overboard to say the least.

I really think what he said to kaylee was out of fear, but it scares me that he said that to her.

Like I said I felt the need to share this and any feedback will be appreciated.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It would scare me more that he keeps a loaded gun next to him. He does sound very paranoid. Paranoia and guns don't mix IMHO.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Wow.

I don't really know what to say, I just wanted to let you know that it would freak me out, too.

My dad is a very big "doomsday" person... you name it, he's bought into it: the Y2K thing, Peak Oil, etc. You should have seen his apartment before Y2K. He stocked up on something like 500 MREs (military ready-to-eat meals) and all kinds of survivalist gear - yes, including tons of ammo for his guns. But I don't live with him anymore so it's easy for me to shrug it off and adopt a "live and let live" attitude.

If it was my husband, I don't know what I'd do. Please keep us posted on this. I'll be thinking about you.

p.s. I hope this doesn't come off sounding bad, but I have to ask: based on this and some other posts you've written in the past, it sounds like your husband might benefit from counseling or therapy of some sort. Does he participate in anything like that, or would he be willing to? Not saying that would fix the current situation, just asking in general.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

p.s. I hope this doesn't come off sounding bad, but I have to ask: based on this and some other posts you've written in the past, it sounds like your husband might benefit from counseling or therapy of some sort. Does he participate in anything like that, or would he be willing to? Not saying that would fix the current situation, just asking in general.
We were going to begin marriage counseling in January but because of our deductable that we have to meet we couldn't afford it. I pray that counseling will work out for us in the future.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I agree with Phal. If he absolutely insists on keeping one gun near his bedside, then it should be unloaded. The ammo can stay NEAR it but not IN it. And any other guns should be stored separately under lock and key.

Guns in a house is dangerous enough, but guns in a house with kids is another matter.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TryingSoHard View Post
I agree with Phal. If he absolutely insists on keeping one gun near his bedside, then it should be unloaded. The ammo can stay NEAR it but not IN it. And any other guns should be stored separately under lock and key.

Guns in a house is dangerous enough, but guns in a house with kids is another matter.
In the state of Michigan, it is against the law to keep a loaded unlocked gun in your house. Can't recount how many times annually some little kid kills himself or a friend, Daddy kept a loaded unlocked gun in the house, 9 times out of 10 a pistol.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Wow, Suzette, I would be concerned too. If it were me, I would tell your husband that neither you or him are going to sleep until the guns are under lock and key. I agree, if he absolutely feels the need to have a gun within reach during the night, tell him that under no uncertain terms should it be loaded.

My heart began racing from the things that could have happened when your daughter walked into the room like that. Oh, I know you don't even want to think about that.

Has this been going on for a long time, with him getting really paranoid like this? I say screw the worry about the insurance deductible, you're going to have to meet it sooner or later. I don't think this is something that can wait. Sure, you may have to cut a few corners for a while, but if you think about what could happen, there should be nothing more important than getting this worked out right now.

Don't ever think there's something that you can't share with us. We are here for each other, no matter what. After all, isn't that what family is all about?

Hugs & Prayers,
Judy
Old 03-02-2009, 08:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Oh my goodness!!
That all sounds very concerning Suzette. Fleeing into the mountains? Isnt that irrational to you?
Keeping loaded guns especially with children around.
I really dont know what to say except get some help for that ASAP. That to me is so dangerous.
You and your kids safety is in jeopardy. Maybe not intentional danger. But paranoia is nothing to mess with.
I hope you find a solution and fast.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
BKP

I don't know if this makes you feel better but years ago my girlfriend and her older sister decided to prank their brother who is older and break in through a window screen (several summers ago) he had a rifle and threatened to shoot them (not knowing it was his sisters). People react and over react to these situations they fear. I would honestly talk with him and come to agreement that loaded weapons are a bad idea, having the gun is enough at that moment.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just talked to him about the loaded gun by the bed, he said it is loaded but there are no bullets in the chamber. He then proceeded to take another hand gun out of his bottom drawer and showed me that it was loaded as well. He said that we need to be ready because he wont allow any madman to come in and kill his family. We are all trained as to how to use a firearm except for my daughter. My husband wants her to be trained this spring.

It scares me - but he will not change his mind.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toomutch View Post
I just talked to him about the loaded gun by the bed, he said it is loaded but there are no bullets in the chamber. He then proceeded to take another hand gun out of his bottom drawer and showed me that it was loaded as well. He said that we need to be ready because he wont allow any madman to come in and kill his family. We are all trained as to how to use a firearm except for my daughter. My husband wants her to be trained this spring.

It scares me - but he will not change his mind.
Okay-I'm sorry-but do you realise how insane and dangerous this is? I don't care if he thinks armageddon is coming tonight-you do NOT leave a loaded gun next to your bed and frankly that you are allowing this to happen makes you equally responsible if something happens.

While it's all very well you all know how to use a gun(except your daughter yet) are you aware of how many accidents happen because of this scenario?

A friend of mine shot her brother thinking he was an intruder one night.She kept a loaded gun in her kitchen-saw a 'man' at her door she didn't initially recognise trying to get in, and just shot first.She never forgave herself.

What if your husband had shot your daughter last night when she wandered into your room?It happens SO easily.

This is getting ridiculous.You have obviously had a lot of issues with your husband and they don't seem to be getting better-but truly.If there's one issue you should stand up to him on it's this one, Suzette-this is your entire families lives at stake.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh here-I just think this is a life and death matter and not one to vacillitate about and I'm really worried for you and them.

Jules.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I am really scared for you right now. I eman your OP sounds delusional on your husbands part. And you dont find that odd? I will sit here smokin crack all night and swear to God everone and their brother is coming and breakin into my house. Cops are goin to bust the door down. And that is so friggin far fetched. But thats my drug paranoia.
Thats exactly what that sounds like to me.
What would you need to flee into the mountains for? End of times? IO mean seriously Suzette. I am not tryin to sound mean. But that sounds completely irrational. And put together with other things you have told us about your husband. Your family thinking he is poisoning you and just alot of things. I think he may need some serious psychological help before someone gets hurt.
I am praying for all your safety right now.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've been wondering whether or not to post all day but Chiy makes a good point. This end of days thing - I know some people think that way even if I don't share it...but plans to flee the city, loaded guns for all the family, and the poisoning episode?

I'm worried for you too Suzette.

D
Old 03-02-2009, 10:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

we have locks and deadbolts on our doors and the windows are locked.We need no gun but I do have plenty locked up in my gun cabinet and they stay unloaded.
I keep the bullets in another place so if a kid got hold of one they would not have the other for safeties sake.
There is something serious going on up in his head,I do hope he realizes the doors are locked and if someone trys to break in,he will have time to load a gun,or better yet,call 911 first!
place a phone beside the bed instead of a gun for the peace of mind of your family.

those fears he has are highly irrational to me.He really needs to talk with someone about this and I hope he can get it straight and no one gets hurt.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

He sounds unstable...unstable with loaded guns all over the place...
Old 03-03-2009, 02:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This is not rational behaviour, people who keep weapons upon them or near them, only do this for one reason - Intention to use.. Please encourage your husband to see a doctor, not sure if he is already on medication, some anti depressants can have adverse effects and make paranoia worse, but please see a doctor. Think of the phsychological effects this will have on your daughter...I hope this all works out for you.. Take care x
Old 03-03-2009, 04:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Unhappy

wow. i am glad you posted this. it sounds like your husband is a powder key just waiting for a spark. i think he should seek help and perhaps he would do well with Prozac or the like. we will all pray for you.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You have to do something about this Too much!

Because you live with this all the time you probably dont realise how crazy it is!

I hope you will think seriously about this, we don't want to read about you on the news. x
Old 03-03-2009, 04:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

He's being feed a steady diet of negativity from the media and the internet. Some people are more sensitive to negative energy than others. In reality, it's not going to hurt to have an escape route, but the other stuff...wow. Can you discuss with him possibly giving up his need to feed the negativity? Shut off the news, kill the links to the "end-of-time" sites? Tell him to let himself off the hook and see the good stuff in life? Don't know how practical this is, but wow - I feel sorry for him. His head must be a mess.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

Well I'm not against having guns or a plan of survival for your family in a worse case scenario event (natural disaster, giant space hamsters invading from mars :P ) but the keeping a almost loaded gun by the bed with a kid in the house is another. Locked doors and windows and a good dog are about as much security as you need from you average "madman" burglar. And 9 times out of 10 anyone who will break into your home will know your routine and pick a time when you're all gone from the house. Can even be someone you already know. A friend of mine a few years ago had his house broken into and it was obvious the person who did it already knew him since the dog who would of tore apart a stranger did nothing to whoever it was that broke in.

There is a fine line between being prepared for the worse case scenario and the just being plain old fashion scary about it.