Notices

So I have the wine, I just don't want to drink it

Old 01-18-2009, 07:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
If you pour it out, you can tell yourself that the walk to the store was your exercise for the day: - )

I cannot keep any liquor in my house because I know that I will drink it.

I cannot count how many times I threw away unopened bottles: it seemed to be what I needed to gradually stop buying them.

You were really strong to post here tonight with this problem.
Thanks, I don't know about strong, more just like disgusted with myself and tired of trying to pretend it's ok to drink a bottle of wine every day and then round the clock on the weekends. I am just tired of myself. You guys are great though. I really appreciate your support and I am NOT drinking the wine. I have to figure out how to live life without a drink, but it's very hard right now. I just want to be normal and not have to drink to deal with people, if you know what I mean. I want it to be okay to feel sad about my job and be able to live a normal life. I want to have conversations I remember.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Or throw it unopened into a really gross, deep dumpster.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

"I want to have conversations I remember."

...me, too, Katie. This will be one of them for both of us.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Zing is right, we're not leaving. So go and get the cork screw, open the bottle, and dump the skanky sewer sludge where it belongs.
Ok, I will.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good! Then come back and tell us about how it felt.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:28 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Well...we'll need an update on that dumped out sludge!

Katie, you are doing Great.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:29 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Yes, yes, yes! Smash the bottle. Uncork it and POUR IT OUT. Do NOT throw it away unopened... you might be tempted later to go back and get it.

Let's worry about what to do next after the wine is gone, ok? We're here, we're with you, and we will talk to you. Just go ditch the wine, ok?
Old 01-18-2009, 07:30 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Figuring out how to live without drinking is overwhelming. Figure out how to not drink in this moment...that's easier. Just this one moment.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Totally agree.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:33 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

We all know how to drink. That is a given. In fact, that is the one area I consider myself an expert in. To stop drinking and deal with emotions without smothering them in drink, is a process that must be learned. It doesn't just happen. We have to undue our old ways of thinking and learn new ones. You came to the right place tonight. There is a solution and many here can help show you the way.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:39 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Good! Then come back and tell us about how it felt.
Okay, it felt like I can't believe I just did that. I threw out perfectly good wine. I have never done that before. At the same time, I am ashamed of myself that it's come to this. I am really not happy with myself right now.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:40 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Way to go Katie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !11
Old 01-18-2009, 07:41 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Katie~ You just threw out the wine, you didn't drink it. You know what that means? Tonight, you will be sober. Tonight you will not drink. I said this earlier but it really struck me when it was told to me back in November. TODAY CAN BE YOUR LAST DAY 1~ I know right now you don't feel good about yourself, but you should feel good about tossing that wine.:ghug3
Old 01-18-2009, 07:42 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
6/20/08

For one thing, there is NOT one good thing about wine. Not one.

Why aren't you happy with yourself? I"m over the moon for you! Look what you did...you made a choice for sobriety. I have goosebumps thinking about it.
  # 35 (permalink)  

Do not feel ashamed! You won that battle! You're the winner!!!

# 36 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Mariposa is right!! GOOD FOR YOU, KATIE.

Now what else is on your mind?
Old 01-18-2009, 07:44 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I like the dumpster idea. It may not be a good idea to open up the bottle. Just get rid of it somehow.

You hit the nail on the head, you've used alcohol as a way of handling situations for a long time that yes, you need to learn new ways to handle things.

Maybe losing your job is a Blessing. In Feb. of 2005, I lost what I considered at that time, the best job I had ever had. I made more money than at any other job I had, , had been there for years and liked the people I worked with. But using was a common place there. When I lost this job, I really got on the pity pot, just where my disease wanted me. I spent the next few months using and drinking harder than ever. I needed this to hit my bottom.

I used the remainder of my unemployment time getting Clean & Sober. I put myself into an intensive outpatient program and went to at least one meeting every day. I turned my days and nights into getting myself into Recovery. Sure, I wasn't bringing in a lot of money, but it was enough to pay the necessary bills. Having money was always dangerous for me when I was using. . . the more I had, the more I used.

Everything happens for a reason. You mentioned that you were relieved when you lost your job. Maybe there's something to think about there.

If you're not tired, don't worry about going to sleep now. Stay on here all night if you have to, I'm sure you'll eventually get tired enough and be able to get into bed and fall asleep instead of passing out from being drunk.

I am proud of you for sharing these feelings with us. You're doing the right thing. One Day at A Time! Like it was mentioned, today is close to being over. Just get through today. Then just get through tomorrow when it gets here. You'll get through this and be proud of yourself for doing it.

God Bless & I'll keep you in my Prayers,
Judy
Old 01-18-2009, 07:45 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LosingmyMisery View Post
We all know how to drink. That is a given. In fact, that is the one area I consider myself an expert in. To stop drinking and deal with emotions without smothering them in drink, is a process that must be learned. It doesn't just happen. We have to undue our old ways of thinking and learn new ones. You came to the right place tonight. There is a solution and many here can help show you the way.
Thanks, right now I am just working on being able to stand myself. Nothing big happened today, just the realization that I am not normal and that no one would put up with me if they really knew me. I guess that is bad enough.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:46 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

So well done, Katie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You won, you won, you won!

"Perfectly good wine" is so perfectly "wrong" for me, everytime!

You really are strong: sweet dreams tonight!
Old 01-18-2009, 07:47 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Well you should be VERY proud of yourself tonight. You did a really good thing.