Notices

So I have the wine, I just don't want to drink it

Old 01-18-2009, 07:47 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

You know Katie. I'm really proud of you. You are all right! One night I threw out three full bottles of booze. Wine, whiskey and vodka. I've thrown out so much booze that it could fill a swimming pool. Make this the only time you do it. Don't ever drink again. Keep coming back here to post and read.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:49 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
6/20/08

NONE of us are normal. And, I kinda like it like that.

Breathe, Katie. You are doing well. You didn't drink, and that is huge.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:50 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Katie, come on. Think of it. No hangover tomorrow. No hangover is worth what you paid for that bottle of fermented elephant pee.
  # 44 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

:ghug3

YA DONE GOOD!!!

Sounds like you took your second huge step this evening, you dumped the demon! Your first huge step was getting on here and sharing what was going on.

You're going to be just fine.

Be proud of yourself, it's ok to smile. . . I know I have tears of gratitude running down my face knowing that you had the strength to make it through a bad situation without picking up.

Huge Hugs,
Judy
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coffeenut View Post
For one thing, there is NOT one good thing about wine. Not one.

Why aren't you happy with yourself? I"m over the moon for you! Look what you did...you made a choice for sobriety. I have goosebumps thinking about it.
Thanks much, but I am in that place where I hate myself right now. I know it will get better in time, I guess. I just don't know what to do with myself at this moment. I guess nothing big is happening, so I don't need to do anything. You know that feeling of being out of sorts? It just hit me today that I cannot keep on doing what I've been doing. I have to change. But change is very scary and right now I just feel scared. And thank you all so very much.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:52 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Katie, I don't know if this helps knowing this,but I have found I go for that bottle wine after a perfectly good day, when I have worked really hard and accomplished quite a bit--what's that all about?

I promise if I buy another bottle of wine, I will post to SR just as you have, before I open it. Thanks for sharing tonight. You have helped me a great deal by showing how we need to reach out for help sometimes-- and I am so happy for you.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:54 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Katie, come on. Think of it. No hangover tomorrow. No hangover is worth what you paid for that bottle of fermented elephant pee.
LOL, yes.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:55 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Yep, I'm out of sorts a lot. Learning to live with it in a sober way is a challenge, but so much better than being drunk.

Change is good. It's hard, but it's good.

Katie, keep reading tonight. There are a lot of good stickies that I've read numerous times that give me strength.

I am so very proud of you. I don't think I've ever witnessed something like this before, thank you, Katie. You are awesome!
Old 01-18-2009, 07:55 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
I just don't know what to do with myself at this moment.
You are doing exactly what you should be doing. Spending quality time with people have, or are going through, just what you are going through.

May I tell a joke to try to cheer you up?

What's invisible and smells like carrots?

Bunny farts.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:57 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
Katie, I don't know if this helps knowing this,but I have found I go for that bottle wine after a perfectly good day, when I have worked really hard and accomplished quite a bit--what's that all about?

I promise if I buy another bottle of wine, I will post to SR just as you have, before I open it. Thanks for sharing tonight. You have helped me a great deal by showing how we need to reach out for help sometimes-- and I am so happy for you.
Thanks so much, Theresa. I just didn't know what else to do. I am feeling very ashamed of myself, but at some point I guess a person has to admit it to get past it. Mind you, nothing extraordinary happened today, except that I realized I cannot even have a conversation with another person without a glass of wine, and that is pretty bad. It's just not worth it - this drinking business.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:58 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

" I cannot keep on doing what I've been doing."

...yep, I think that is the main thought that gets me going for the wine. If we just deal with today and not get overwhelmed by all the tomorrows, maybe we can break away from this negative thought. In fact, I think I hear a warm bath calling me into the more pleasant "now."

Good night for now, Katie, and know how important a step you took this evening.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:58 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Oh, Katie...please stop Ken from telling any more bunny fart jokes. Please! :P
Old 01-18-2009, 07:59 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Feeling scared is completely normal. Although it's not comfortable to be feeling like you are right now, just know that every single one of us has been where you are right now.

You have so much to be grateful for right now. You were strong enough to tell on your disease, you came on here, admitted that you went and bought the wine and you asked for help. Those things are huge!

And the fact that you got rid of it shows that you are a very strong lady! It's just going to take time for you to realize it. This disease doesn't want us to be happy, feel confident or be proud of anything. You have taken huge steps!

I am truly proud of you. Sure, the feelings are scary but they do pass . . . that I can promise you. You won't always feel this way.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:02 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Katie,

This has been one heck of a ride tonight. I will not forget it anytime soon. You are truly an amazing person. You have helped me a lot tonight. I gotta go do some work related stuff now so I'm logging off. It sounds like you are in good hands for now. Take care of her ladies, she is precious. Thanks again. Amazing.........just amazing.......
Old 01-18-2009, 08:03 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Katie: I have been exactly the same about conversations and wine. I grew up this way: socializing = drinking. I am getting a little better at conversations without drinking. I am trying to make myself partake in more conversations, just hanging around a bit, and keep asking the other person questions. Now dating without drinking is my newest challenge! I will have to let you know how this goes, as I am very new to this. I am focusing on lunch dates right now because I have never felt like drinking at lunch, so it doesn't seem so odd.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:04 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
6/20/08

You can use shame to your advantage. Before I quit drinking I could do nothing without a beer in my hand....family gatherings....you name it. And I did it for 30 years....talk about shame.

I am still ashamed of things I did while drunk, and that helps keep me sober. But that shame isn't debilitating, it's more like a reminder to keep my act together.

It's late here, I gotta go. I hope you can check in tomorrow and let us know how you are.

You did well tonight. You did well.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:05 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by serenityqueen View Post
Feeling scared is completely normal. Although it's not comfortable to be feeling like you are right now, just know that every single one of us has been where you are right now.

You have so much to be grateful for right now. You were strong enough to tell on your disease, you came on here, admitted that you went and bought the wine and you asked for help. Those things are huge!

And the fact that you got rid of it shows that you are a very strong lady! It's just going to take time for you to realize it. This disease doesn't want us to be happy, feel confident or be proud of anything. You have taken huge steps!

I am truly proud of you. Sure, the feelings are scary but they do pass . . . that I can promise you. You won't always feel this way.

Thanks so much. I just feel scared right now though. But it's okay, as the truth is as long as I am not drinking I can be present to deal with stuff. When I am drinking, I cannot be present to deal with stuff. It's going to be a long road to become who I am supposed to be, but this can only be achieved without alcohol. So, I guess I'll just be scared and move forward.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:09 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
Katie: I have been exactly the same about conversations and wine. I grew up this way: socializing = drinking. I am getting a little better at conversations without drinking. I am trying to make myself partake in more conversations, just hanging around a bit, and keep asking the other person questions. Now dating without drinking is my newest challenge! I will have to let you know how this goes, as I am very new to this. I am focusing on lunch dates right now because I have never felt like drinking at lunch, so it doesn't seem so odd.
Gosh, good luck with this! I am afraid that I don't know how to be in a relationship without alcohol, so no dating for me Actually, that is part of what led me to this point - finally talking to this guy and not remembering exactly how the conversation ended. No one deserves that - poor guy, although I am sure it's bothering me wayyy more than him.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:11 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Well, everyone, I am going to turn in for the night and try to get some sleep. You guys are the best, but now I just want to crawl into bed and forget about today and get some rest. Thanks all! :ghug2
Old 01-18-2009, 08:19 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Sweet dreams.