Notices

Need a bit of encouragement please.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Okay, now you have a couple more phone numbers, put Dee and Jules in your suitcase, and you'll be just fine

Actually, put Dee and Jules in your carry-on stuff...wouldn't want them getting lost!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-19-2008, 06:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It WILL be ok, I have faith in you. You ARE stronger than you give yourself credit for. Many many good ideas so far. I can't add to any of them cause they're all so good. Local library internet and local AA mtgs may be a lifeline for you. We're all pulling for you. I'll miss you but I know you'll be having a good and sober time of it.

You can come back here when you get home and tell us all how much fun it was and how rewarding it was to be able to say "thanks but no thanks!". We have faith in you that you'll be alright!

:ghug3
Old 10-19-2008, 06:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Ooooooooh, I had to do huge business meeting very early in sobriety. Thinking about it was the worst part. Seems I thought about my drinking more than others!

You can do this. You must do this for your child, AND yourself. Put us in your pocket, and give us the details when you get home!
Old 10-20-2008, 05:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by Horselover View Post
Practicing - "No thank you." "Why no thank you, but thank you for asking." "Thank you - Wait I mean no thank you!!" I'll get it Gyps - thank you and I do agree that I can say it and mean it.

Feeling better already. I just want it to last and that's the scary part. Know what I mean? Ah well - Fizzy old boy did it and there's hope in that.
Good for you Horselover. I said it before and I'll say it again... you will be fine. You have all the tools you need... just remember to use them. And breathe. Before thinking or reacting to something... take some deep breaths. It helps.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:18 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

HI S- Just wanted to add one more bit of practical advice - if you have time, stop in to a store or call your cell phone carrier - they will be able to tell you very quickly what coverage you have for long distance (save you hours of reading thru the fine print) and if you don't have what you need, you can sign up for a temporary package at a very low rate. My inlaws have Verizon and they were able to get long distance added onto their phone for just the five days that they were on vacation. (of course, they had to remember to call and cancel it the minute they didn't want it any more or I'm sure it would still be on their bill today! LOL)

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!

Love J
Old 10-20-2008, 07:00 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Great idea Jomey! I didn't know you could order a temporary package and I will definitely do the breathing Gyps! Thank you all. Feeling a lot better about this trip now.

:ghug2
Old 10-20-2008, 09:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Well, what can I add.....great suggestion to practice saying "NO". Have you got any AA/NA literature you can take with you like The Just For Today card? Just stay calm, pray (if that helps) and know that all your SR friends are rooting for you. YOU can get through this!
Stay safe and stay strong.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

horselover....it's monday now and your gone....

but by the time you get this thread....it's wednesday now for you?

anyway if had written before you left and after I read this from above:

I also suggest planning ahead for what non-alcoholic beverage will be in your hand.
Then i would have added something like: and envision what you can do, what you will do, envislion giving of yourself to your father.............instead of envisioning the temptation of the drink....
to be included with every other wonderful suggestion you received

but it's too late you are gone.....

no you are back!!!!!

way to go......good job
Old 10-20-2008, 11:17 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

No Ksplash - I don't leave until Wednesday morning and return Monday night. I will be off SR from tomorrow night until Tuesday a.m. Thanks for adding to this and I will envision all but taking a drink. Thanks again!!
Old 10-20-2008, 11:32 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Oops, almost missed this thread. No advice here really Horselover, just stay strong and mostly, enjoy your visit with your Dad. You are are a huge inspiration for me and I look up to your ability to remain sober. I know you will make it through this trip with flying colors! Sending good thoughts your way...
Old 10-20-2008, 04:27 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

absolutely....I have faith in your sucessful visit too!
Old 10-20-2008, 06:31 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

you can do it HL

belief, faith and trust...

good wishes to you on your journey..

rz
Old 10-21-2008, 09:38 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Chiming in late, but didn't want to miss this

HL, try to keep two thoughts in the forefront:

1. You are FREE - you have always been free, and you realized it in May, so there is no reason for that to change unless you want it to. Which brings:
2. You can always choose.

I don't know about you, but reminding myself of my freedom makes me feel grateful. Remember, you are most certainly NOT doomed So enjoy!