Notices

Detox nurse

Old 10-21-2008, 03:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detox nurse

Got my first appointment with the detox nurse this afternoon, quite looking forward to it, it seems like a massive step forward but one I have to do.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like a very good thing to do!

Let us know what happens.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's awesome!!
Old 10-21-2008, 08:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey guys, it went really well, we talked for about half an hour and filled out some forms (basic stuff) he then checked my blood test from the other night and ones I had done two months ago for gout, he was quite amazed at how low they were before my last bender which got me in so much trouble (the other night the test they did for alcohol damage had a figure of 226, in august it was 41) he says with abstinence this should go right back to normal in about three months, that was great news.

We then chatted about my options and he say's that I passed the criteria to get on a programme, you only need 3 out of 5 to qualify, I had all 5!
My options will include medication which I am not too keen on, the one that makes you sick when drinking just seems like plugging a black whole with a melon to me, but he said there is a drug that takes away the yearning to drink and this can be combined with cognitive therapy and slowly reduced over a certain time scale, there is also counceling and one and one sessions. these are just a few of the many options available.
I will have to wait till I get my appointment before I can discuss all this with the clinic and I hope this will be soon as I feel I need to keep this train rolling while it has steam.

In the meantime he advised me to get some thyamin and vitamin b complex (which i got from the chemist straight away) to rebuild my depleted immune system.

All in all a very successful appointment and with your help here guys I am going to beat this.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

That's great news!

And, yes, Vitamin B is such a good idea for alcoholics. It really helped me.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Glad things went well, you have made that first step and that is usually the hardest step. The next hurdle is staying stopped which can be far harder then getting sober.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Glad things went well, you have made that first step and that is usually the hardest step. The next hurdle is staying stopped which can be far harder then getting sober.
Yep I agree, that's why I hope that I can get enrolled quickly and find out which treatment is best for me, the good thing here is that none of my friends have an alcohol dependency like me, granted a few do have more than the guidelines, but if I was to ring one up and say let's go to the movies and then a coffee afterwards they would be cool with that.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Way to go kin. Glad you sought some help from the pros. Seems like the best way to do it. I still get rattled when I think about my home brew detox. The thought of it makes me wanna myself.

I guess the rest of the journey is up to us. Nice to have all of this help though

Ed