Notices

Childhood Dreams anyone???

Old 09-10-2008, 08:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Childhood Dreams anyone???

Hi everyone. Just thinking alot lately about when I was a child and had dreams of what I wanted to be when I grew up!! I used to love to draw, paint, sing, dress up, etc....I am now painting and just signed up for my next art class.

Just curious if anyone else has thought to go back and remember what you loved to "pretend" when you were a child. It may give you some ideas about new things to pursue in your sobriety!!

Childhood Dreams anyone??
Old 09-10-2008, 08:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

When I was little, I wanted to be two things: a teacher, and a mommy. But mommy came first. :P LOL! My best friend and I would play "school" ALL THE TIME and I was ALWAYS the teacher (she was a good sport!).

When I went to college the first time, I had totally lost interest in pursuing teaching. I majored in psychology but quickly found out it wasn't what I thought and wasn't what I wanted to do. I dropped out after 2 years, then went back 5 years later. This time - older, wiser, focused, and with a 3 month old son! - I took my options much more seriously. I DID look into the teaching curriculum but ultimately decided not to go that route. I do still think about what it would have been like... but then I look at the conditions in my kids' schools, and read all the articles about budget cuts and all the programs they have to do without, not to mention school shootings... *sigh*

It was a nice childhood dream, though.

HOWEVER - I DID used to be a truly amazing piano player. I am planning on spending some of my sober time taking lessons again (I've gotten very rusty over the years). I've got a beautiful baby grand sitting in my front room... it's time it got put to good use again!!
Old 09-10-2008, 09:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I was alwyas going to do somehting with art too. I was always drawing and stuff. Art was my favorite class in school. I had a few things in art fairs at school. I lost my imagination and skill over the years of being addicted. I have tried to find that same inspiration of creativity that use to drive me all the time as a kid and teen. Its gone.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cops and robbers, Land of the Lost, cowboys and indians, horse back riding . . . Can't do a lot with those. I was a tomboy. I love reading and in my DREAMS I would love to write a suspense novel.

What an excellent idea for a new thread!
Old 09-10-2008, 09:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's awesome guys. I was in my mid 30s when I started to paint again. I was always involved with music. I actually wanted to be a background dancer on The Carol Burnett Show.
Chiy, I think those dreams and creativity don't go away. They just get shoved to the back of the storage room of our brains, stuffed in a box under old useless junk. Maybe you can say a prayer that your HP will help you locate that box!!
TSH, what a wonderful gift you have to be able to play piano. Wish I had stuck with it as a kid. That was short lived for me. You definitely should go for it again. I bet it would be an awesomely rewarding thing for you.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

HL. I would buy your book!! AND...you do get to do the horse part a bit !!!!
Yay. So glad yall are posting. It really gets us thinking huh??
Old 09-10-2008, 10:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TryingSoHard View Post
My best friend and I would play "school" ALL THE TIME and I was ALWAYS the teacher (she was a good sport!).
Me Too! Except it was my little sister and brother--I was also always the teacher and they hated it!

I also took piano lessons when I was younger and complained so much my mom let me quit! I wish she would have made me stick with it! I wouldn't have a clue anymore!
Old 09-10-2008, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

As I got into my teens I was going to own a night club. Not good idea now. I did however bartend in the hottest clubs in West Palm Beach Florida for 10 years.

I am not a drinker. But still alot of cocaine in that business.

I was also going to be a lawyer or a judge. Woulda came in handy for me and most of my friends. LOL.

Also an interior designer or fashion designer.

Also wanted to be a cop for a long time. This was in my 20's. That will never happen now. Not particularly fond of the cops now.

How bout now?? What would you like to do now?

I just want to do something I love doing. I hate waking up almost everyday and dread going to work.
I have been thinkng again on a sports bar. Owning one. That sounds fun. And there arent too many around here. I would bring all my experiences of bartending from all the various places I have worked and make it an awesome place. But then theres that moral dilemma of feeding alcohol to people. I have a million and one ideas for a sports bar.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What about a "sports" coffee house?? Not sure if it would go over but just a thought!! Like Strbks with big screen TVS.....
Old 09-10-2008, 11:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When I was in kindergarten, I told my mother that I was someday going to be a kindergarten teacher. I was a kindergarten teacher and a preschool teacher for a few years.

I used to play Gym class and I was the teacher. So i would make a list of about 10 kids one of the names being my sisters. Then I would have her do 10 cartwheels, one for each student. I would go through a series of these gymnastic stunts having her perform for all the names listed on my roster.I would grade each one for the accuracy and presentation of their stunts. My little sister became a gymnast. (thanks to me )

I also loved to write and have began doing so again.

I always thought that it would be great fun to work at a ritzy night club in Florida figuring they were better that anything we had around here. I moved there with an ex boyfriend and bartended on the beach in Dania FL. next to Ft. Lauderdale. Then moved back to Colorado after 4 months of that.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Okay. Im posting so maybe we can get more responses on this thread. Love to hear about your childhood "pretend" stories. Seems like the "real" us could come out in our play as children. Thanks for posting guys.
Hope you are all having a great day!!
Old 09-11-2008, 01:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This is an interesting thread. I wanted to be a nurse when I was young. Still could be one if I want to. If I could go back to school though I would rather study to be a social worker or a therapist.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You must be caring soul Felly because those are very remarkable jobs. You can tell from your posts that you do care. I hope you pursue it!
Old 09-11-2008, 01:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Suz what a great thread! (I just posted this on the September Class thread)

I always wanted a horse/pony. I used to ride as a child. I wanted something to fill my early evenings to take my mind off drinking. It is also an excuse to spend quality time with my daughter. So I went out and got one this week and she's mine from Saturday.

I'm so excited, I feel like a child again
Old 09-11-2008, 01:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How cool Pixy! Enjoy it. I am sure your daughter will.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

By the way Pix,,,I also responded to you on the Sept thread....but....from experience....you will be busy with that pony more than just in the evenings!! Try THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!! They are addictive......but in a GOOD way!!
Old 09-11-2008, 03:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Felly,
That sounds really awesome. You should go for it. Talk about being able to RELATE!!
Old 09-11-2008, 03:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
mle-sober

I used to dream I could fly. I thought it was real. I can still feel my cotton nightie fluttering against my ankles, wet from the grass I walked through on my way to the tree I climbed to launch myself into flight. I flew all over the farm my family lived on and can see the barn and our house from way above, with the clouds moving around me. I was never scared.

In the morning, I thought I'd really flown. It wasn't until I was in my late teens when I realized I hadn't.

Now I still have flight dreams but they are usually scary and leave me breathless and unbalanced.

I wonder what the difference is and why? Why as a child, when I was being sexually abused, did flight feel safe? And now as an adult, when I am safer in my real life, does flight feel so scary?

I hope I'm not bouncing the topic away from the original idea too much here. I thought in some ways it's really similar. How have our childhood dreams changed?

In terms of the more concrete dreams, I actually always wanted to be a painter and a mom and that is, in fact, what I am now! I've always felt grateful for the clarity of my path in that way.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have missed you MlE and you pose a good question. I wonder what the difference is too between adult and childhood dreams. I wouldn't say innocence if you were sexually abused and I am so sorry that happened to you. Its the worst offense I can think of happening to a child. Glad you're able to paint and be a Mom. Glad you are safe now.

:ghug3
Old 09-11-2008, 04:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Maybe that was your way of "escape" when you were little. Not sure why it would be scary now that you are grown. Maybe because you don't want to fly away and leave YOUR little ones vulnerable. I'm not a dream interpreter so this is just my humble attempt to completely disassemble and reassemble your dreams!!LOL.......