Notices

Has anyone else tried sleeping pills?

Old 09-05-2008, 09:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

How about seeing the Doc rather than self medicating
Old 09-05-2008, 09:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I had insomnia with my withdrawal too. I take Klonopin & it works great! Also, it doesn't make you feel crappy in the morning like Benadryl or OTC sleeping pills do. Yuck! I have NEVER had a good reaction with OTC sleeping pills. I ALWAYS woke up so groggy, I once had to call into work.

Also, I tried Benadryl & it did the exact opposite. I had a very bad reaction to it & didn't get a wink of sleep that night! Ugh!

But actually I take Klonopin because of anxiety, so I never told my psych that I had insomnia, but, before that, I had severe insomnia & went to a walk-in clinic & he
prescribed me estazolam (ProSom) & that's a benzodiazepine as well, but in a much weaker form, made just for sleep & not a anti-anxiolytic.

I know you are having insurance issues right now, but walk-in clinics are really not all that expensive & they will definitely give you something, for me they gave me 30, so if you had 30, that should keep you comfortable until the insomnia has resolved.

I probably wouldn't say I had withdrawal though, just insomnia. Then the doctor will determine whether your insomnia is anxiety related or something & Rx you either a sleeping pill or a benzodiazepine, but I would recommend the benzodiazepine personally. I have a very addictive personality & been on benzo's for years & I NEVER crave them & not addicted.

I know your apprehensive about taking pills, but that's why they're there!!! It's just, some of us, take advantage of some pills that were made to help people like you.

But for me personally, the Pro Som worked the best (for sleep) & Klonopin would be my 2nd choice. I have never tried Ambien or Lunesta or anything like that, but I hear good things about the two, especially Lunesta.

Another thing, me personally, I found that Xanax & Valium would literally put me "in a comma" to the point where I would be in such a deep sleep I wouldn't hear a bomb explode in my room. Also, waking up the next day was very, very, very hard.

But, on the other hand, if you really don't wanna go to the doctor, here is some advice, (my personal advice, I am not a doctor) hehehe.

1.) Use your bedroom for sleep & sex. I read sometimes too to help me fall asleep, even funnier, I read boring stuff & that actually helps hahaha. Don't watch T.V or eat on your bed because your body will associate your bedroom as an active area & not sleep area.

2.) Eat a good fiber/grain snack, like cereal. For me, when my belly is full, it's much easier for me to fall asleep. But don't eat Chocolate or drink pop definitely.

3.) Warm Milk never, ever has helped me. I've tried 1,000 times. Plus it's NASTY tasting. Drink warm tea instead.

4.) Lay down when it's time to sleep & try to sleep for about 45 minutes. If you're not asleep in 45 minutes, get up, walk around & do something that isn't stressful or over stimulating like video games or watching T.V. Sit at the kitchen counter & read a book. Then after 30 minutes or so, go back to your bed & try to sleep again. If it doesn't work, just keep doing this over & over again.

5.) I don't really understand how to post "quotes" quite yet, as I'm very new to SR, but I agree with the person who said they do crunches & push up's every morning. Be as active as you can, wear yourself out!
Hope this helps!!

Last edited by Spycekat; 09-05-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Maybe you could try some exercise and physically tire yourself out.

I don't use sleeping pills because I'd use them in ever increasing quantities till they were gone. Just the nature of my disease, I guess.

Your sleep pattern will even itself out sooner, rather than later.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

I agree that melatonin is the best thing that I have tried. Completely natural and no side effects!
Old 09-06-2008, 01:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I have been using imovane 7.5 mgs, pretty heavy stuff but I am ok with them for now over drinking ;-) First 5 days without in a long long time.

There is some good advice in that sleeping thread, there are also some other good natural remedies @ your local health food stores,

Good luck
Old 09-06-2008, 03:49 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm with those that say check with your doctor. When I first tried to get sober I used over the counter stuff to help me sleep. Pretty soon I was knocking down seven, eight., nine of 'em at a time just to get whacked. That's just me, though. I couldn't handle it. There's not a lot I can handle... I guess I'm lucky I know that today.
Hope you're sleeping better anyway...Also, try reading the Twelve and Twelve...that can knock you out quicker than even the Big Book.
Mike