Notices

Has anyone else tried sleeping pills?

Old 09-05-2008, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dismember

Has anyone else tried sleeping pills?

I am a little over two weeks in and I'm still having the hardest time getting and staying asleep. When I do sleep it seems like I'm dreaming the whole night (a sign of not being in full sleep, I think.) I've been feeling tired and light-headed all day long and I'm worried this lack of sleep is starting to be physically and mentally harmful to me.

I hate the idea of taking sleeping pills, and pills in general, but I'm worried the lack of good sleep is a higher cost than taking an over-the-counter. Has anyone else found they work for the insomnia of post-withdrawal?
Old 09-05-2008, 10:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am not good with sleeping pills or allergy pills. I feel like I've taken a heavy sedative even the next morning. I have been drinking coffee before bed and it definitely is messing with my early sleep. But I have been sleeping better in the early morning hours which is a complete flip flop from where it was before. I'd usually pass out on wine easily and then wake up at 2am and just flip flop.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lack of sleep can be physically and mentally harmful. If the insomnia continues I would suggest you talk with your doctor. Insomnia can be a result of withdrawl, but can also be an underlying problem that is seperate from that.

Until you feel more rested please use care about driving, operating dangerous equipment (includes garbage disposals and hot pots and pans). Slow thinking and reactions can cause very bad accidents.

:ghug3
Old 09-05-2008, 10:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
things as it is

Back in the day, it was recommended that if you can't fall asleep, read the Big Book.

(Just a little levity...ananda gave some sage advice.)
Old 09-05-2008, 10:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dismember

Hehe, well, I can manage well-enough so far with my drowsiness. I only drive to get to the store and I'm a paper-pusher by trade (not much heavy lifting.)

I've had problems with insomnia before, but hadn't for years and years until now so I'm thinking chances are this is related to getting off alcohol. I hope to see a doctor soon, but I'm in this mess with my insurance company at the moment. I'm looking at a sleep aid as just a temporary fix until either the withdrawal symptoms clear further or until I'm able to get to a doctor.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me, sleeping pills have not been a good choice. I get "rebound insomnia" from them which means after using one night, I can't sleep the next without one. After a few days of use, they don't work at all for me. Which is a blessing for surely I would be addicted to them!

I have never been a good sleeper. I've had two sleep studies in the lab and do have a sleep disorder. (Alpha-Delta Sleep Disorder) I'm told it's common in people with chronic pain disorders like fibro myalgia.

Have you tried meditation tapes/CD's at bedtime? I have one loaded on my iPod and it helps. It starts with breathing exercises and relaxation affirmations. You can find the CD's in most record shops and some health food stores. It's worth a try and just doesn't have the side effects some sleeping aids do.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

Love,

Lenina
Old 09-05-2008, 10:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dismember

Good advice, from everyone, thank you all.

I think I will hold off on this. I'll get some chamomile tea, do some more rigorous meditation prayers and play the most soothing music I can tonight. I'll see if that doesn't do the trick!
Old 09-05-2008, 12:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I guess I'm going to be the devil's advocate here.

I've had sleep problems for a long time, not alcohol-related. I've used Ambien CR and Sonata. Sonata did nothing for me. Ambien CR is a godsend. I will say that I can only take one when I KNOW I can sleep for at least 10 hours (or at least not have to be functional within 10 hours) because I DO feel a bit groggy for the first hour or two after I wake up, but I SLEEP and I feel rested when I wake up. I personally haven't had the problem of rebound insomnia and I haven't had them lose their effectiveness, but I also don't take them on a regular basis.

Good luck!
Old 09-05-2008, 12:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

I'll confess to taking a Nytol now and again to get to sleep, available from chemists in the uk.

Personal choice but I'd rather take a pill and get a good nights sleep then lie awake.

We all walk our own paths on this journey I reckon.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

TSH...I am on Ambien, and take it nightly for about a year now. It's working for me. However it is a perscription, and I do work with a dr. on how to treat my sleep problem. I was a sleep walker and talker as a child, then again at 20, and then became a sleepwalker, talker AND eater about 7 years ago. Less so now that I am dealing with stress better, but still an issue at times.

I think that for me when I got sober it was hard to tell what was detox or drinking related an what wasn't. It sounds like you have worked with your doctor and found what works for you and that is great! So have I. Thanks for sharing your expereince!!!!
Old 09-05-2008, 12:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

Hi: Isaiah, Luv the Name,my advice is to see your reg, Doc, or if you
don't have one Get one He could help you in a more Professional manner
I had the same problem when I came to Recovery,I went to my Doc
told him about my abuse with Alcohol and Drugs and that I was Getting clean

on my own and that I couldn't do it that Sleeping for me was becoming
a nightmare,and he set up and apt, with the psychiatric, and In saw him
and he prescribe me Risperdal, but what mate be good for me mate not
be for everybody so set your self and Apt. that's my advice God Bless

I'll B:praying for you

Last edited by BUTTERFLY-7; 09-05-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I take Melatonin. It is a hormone produced naturally by your body. I get it at the health food/vitamin store. I feel great in the morning after I take it. I take two capsules about 1/2 hour before I go to bed. Makes me nice and drowsy.

You can get more info about melatonin at melatonin.com
Old 09-05-2008, 12:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

P.S. Make sure you get the time released so that it helps keep you asleep
Old 09-05-2008, 12:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Yes, I should have said that the Ambien is prescription only and a doctor will definitely want to monitor your usage of it to make sure your sleep doesn't become dependent on it. But for me, it works. And I got my Rx for it years ago, long before drinking was a problem for me. I'm just blessed with insomnia. :P

Benadryl, and the generic equivalents, are good over-the-counter options (if you look at the ingredients of Unisom, an OTC sleep aid, and Benadryl, you'll find they are identical!). But I've also heard great things about valerian root and chamomile (sp?) tea. I like Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Extra tea, too.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This is my second attempt in 3 months and I was placed on clonidine at night for sleep. I also know of people that have simply taken a Benadryl at bedtime which works well and is not addictive. That is the one thing we need to be careful of. Also, you could be tired during the day because your blood sugar is low so make sure to eat well too. Myself, I like macaroni. :bounce
Old 09-05-2008, 02:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've had trouble getting to sleep, and staying asleep, for years. When it gets really bad I take OTC stuff, which is mostly benadryl. Ok if you don't take it too often cause you can build up a tolerance.

The good old fashioned warm milk is good sleep therapy too.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please see if this information helps you

Insomnia? 41 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

Well done on your sober time!
Old 09-05-2008, 04:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sober 6/5/2008

I've had insomnia off and on over the years. What works for me is exercise: crunches, push-ups and jogging first thing in the morning. I do a few more and go a little further each week until I'm busy for about a half hour. Plus, as a paper-shuffler myself, this way I've had a productive day before it even starts, with a soothing cocktail of lactic acid and endorphins to enjoy all day long. And by bed time I'm ready to sleep.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Yeah I used to take em by teh shovel full but not to sleep!

Congrats on being sober, I had a lot of trouble sleeping in early days and someone said well sleep when you can day or night, that helped.

Kevin
Old 09-05-2008, 08:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Dismember

What a strange coincidence this evening.

I'm at home, bored, restless and my internet connection is too sparse right now for SR. So I'm rummaging through my craft drawer thinking that--too keep myself busy--I'll make something stupid just to pass the time.

... and what do I find, 60 capsules of melatonin! I must've thrown them in the drawer in my last move.