Notices

Ok, so I'm starting.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

So I went, and I conquered! Wooo! I admit, it was really hard. I actually almost bought a bottle of wine to take to work. I was justifying it by saying, well, if I start having dangerous withdrawals, I'll have something with me to cure them! I got almost all the way to the cash register before I just said NO! Why would I need a whole bottle of wine for that? My addiction was sweet talking me, trying to trick me into drinking again.

Later, at work, a regular customer bought me a drink without me asking for it. He set it right in front of me. At that point, I was shaking and feeling a little panicky and the loud music was really overwhelming me. I let it sit in front of me until all the ice was melted. He kept urging me to drink it. Finally he went to the bathroom and I asked the bartender, (a good friend) to dump it out. I wish the customer had at least given me a chance to say no. I would've asked for a plain cranberry juice if he'd actually asked.

I was tempted to drink it, like come on, its only one drink! But I know by now that for me, one drink always turns into falling down drunk. There is no such thing as one drink for me.

But hey, I got through the night. Its weird though, I actually felt really clumsy and kept tripping, like my body is so used to being inebriated at work that I couldn't be graceful sober. I guess it'll just take some getting used to.

Thank you all soooo much for your support. I know I have such a high chance of slipping up. The temptations are everywhere. I want this sooo bad though. And thanks to this site, its finally working. I have people to be accountable to.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Doll,

I'm glad you got through it!
Old 08-21-2008, 05:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The more water you drink...the quicker you will flush out the alcohol.

Yes...you too can win over alcohol...
Old 08-21-2008, 05:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
The more water you drink...the quicker you will flush out the alcohol.

Yes...you too can win over alcohol...
What does that mean exactly? Does that mean that even on day 3 there is still alcohol in my system?
Old 08-21-2008, 05:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would say yes, you are still detoxing on Day 3.

That's my personal experience and what I believe.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hang in there dolly!!!!!

wanted to share that I had a job surrounded by alchohol the first time I got sober for the first 9 months. Although it is not an ideal situation, It can be done!

When it was busy it wasn't so hard as I had to focus on the job, but when it was just me and all those bottles...it could get a little harried.

One thing I kept repeating to my self over was "I am ok in this moment, I have everything I need, I am grateful" Another was "I do believe, I do believe, bless my unbelief" sounds wierd but those repeated statements really helped me to feel strong enough to get through the temptations.

Keep letting us know how it goes and ask any questions you want!!!!:ghug
Old 08-21-2008, 06:21 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
I would say yes, you are still detoxing on Day 3.

That's my personal experience and what I believe.
I definitely know I'm still detoxing. I am still having very obvious withdrawal signs: shakes, anxiety, hot and sweaty flashes, etc. I just meant that like, if I blew on a breathalyzer, would alcohol show up?
Old 08-21-2008, 06:30 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I think detoxing refers to getting the alchohol completely out of your body...whereas a breathalizer would test the amount of alchohol in a certain part of your body....

Don't worry too much about that Dolly! If you are having alot of withdrawal symptoms you might not want to drive, just as people really shouldn't drive when they are really sick wtih the flu or if they are totally emotional...It just screws up your reaction time and stuff.

Is that what you're worried about?
Old 08-21-2008, 07:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Yeah... I've already endangered so many people over the years with my drunk driving all over the place. I want to be done with that forever. I am SO lucky that I never hit anybody or got a DUI. I will pay very close attention to how I'm feeling before I drive anywhere.

Again, thank you guys sooo much for your help. Couldn't have done it without ya.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:33 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

So, how are you doing tonight Doll? It took me good week and a half to detox to the point that I didn't sweat through my clothes every night!!! Good news is, you never have to feel this way again!!! I know it is hard in the beginning, but it will get easier with time. Be kind to yourself, you can do this.

Cathy
Old 08-21-2008, 08:00 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Yeah, the last two nights I sweated through my clothes yet felt so cold that I couldn't get out from under the covers. Also, terrible nightmares.

Right now its around the time I would start drinking at night, and I imagine that for a long time, this will be the hardest part of my day. I feel nervous and I want a drink so bad. For some reason I've been craving rum or whiskey even though I only drank vodka or white wine before. I think I just need to get through this plateau, probably around 11 I'll feel better again.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:09 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Yeah...it does get easier...company helps to keep my mind off drinking when I hit those rough spots...even computer company works. Sometimes better!

The walk you took helped the other nite...It sounded like it helped you sleep...something to keep in mind tonight. I like to sit outside and watch the sky at night sometimes...makes me feel sorta peaceful. Don't know if that works where you live.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:11 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

The "witching" hour is usually the hardest habit to break, when we go for the drink without even thinking, it has been a part of our routine for so long that we really have to be aware of what we are doing. Possibly have a snack, or read or anything that isn't alcohol to replace it...maybe a good time to just close your eyes, even for 1-2 minutes and think of all the things you have to be grateful for...starting with the fact that you are still sober!!!

Cathy