Notices

I just attended my first AA meeting...

Old 12-24-2007, 05:12 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Lurker

Sounds like you are doing great. The biggest thing I heard in your last post is that you know that you now can help others. Man that is the best part of this program. It ALWAYS gets me out of my self one I try to help someone else I hope you have a good holiday.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:05 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Good Morning day 10!

Christmas was not heaps of fun, but it certainly wasn't that bad - and I can remember it all. I felt uncomfortable, but that's ok - I'm allowed to feel uncomfortable around people I don't really like. I was still civil, and spent most of my time hanging out with the kids (who I generally think are better people than adults anyway ).

Fly to Destination B today, getting picked up at airport, and will go to a meeting tomorrow. Everything is awesome. I still care about my ex, but I don't want to be with her any more and I'm looking forward to hanging out in a new city, on my own, with old friends and no responsibility except to myself.

Bring on the life! Next year will be awesome, I can feel it. One year of study and hard work and I'll be fully qualified in my field, and sober enough to put everything into practice.

YES! Universal goodness to everyone here, everyone who struggled for Christmas, and everyone who made it through. I wouldn't have been able to do it if it weren't for this website, I can say that with conviction, so thanks again.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:16 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

merry christmas mate
have a great rest of break
D
Old 12-25-2007, 02:23 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

congrats and I hop your still having a great time nodrinkingz
Old 12-25-2007, 03:07 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Wow, you sound great nodrink!! Congrats on new beginnings.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:00 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Here's celebrating your new start with you!

:bounce
Old 12-27-2007, 03:19 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Evening all, end of Day 11 here - how's it all going?

I have been reading through a bunch of the threads on the first page, and it looks like it has been one hard Christmas for a lot of people out there, so first thing I gotta throw in is

:ghug

Second, I do have a confession to make - I smoked some weed and played video games all afternoon yesterday, and then ate mountains of Thai takeaway. It was fairly boring, and anti-climactic, but I will admit I enjoyed it for a while.

I do not want to drink, and will not/have not touched alcohol. I woke up today feeling good, and very relaxed, but realised that I am more relaxed when I'm straight. Smoking dope actually made me more anxious, more tense, more nervous and less sociable.

So, I won't do that again. I don't feel too bad about it, because I haven't smoked weed for months and I'm not a big pothead any more, but it actually got me thinking about all the reasons I have for not getting smashed any more. I didn't want to leave the house, I didn't want to talk to anyone, and I felt a little ashamed and guilty - therefore, this behaviour is negative, and offered no positives.

I just wanted to be straight up here, after all the support it felt weird to be sitting there going "I can no longer say that I have had no toxins in my system for 11 days. I can say that I have not touched a drop of alcohol, but I have taken illicit substances". It felt like I'd ruined the run I was on, which was a bit of a bummer.

Anyway, not drinking - so I'm going to look at it like it was a silly night that won't be repeated, and continue w/ sobriety as planned.

Good luck! Also, got a phone call from a dear old friend who has been an alcoholic for about 40 years. He told me he tried meetings 20 years ago, but it wasn't for him and he wanted to do it 'his way'. He's killing himself with alcohol and benzo's, and I know that 'his way' has never worked. All the more reason to get myself back to meetings and consider my first three steps before I start the journey through the steps w/ a sponsor.

Thanks guys,

ndz
Old 12-27-2007, 03:46 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

well done you know what to do get to the meetings, the steps, the sponsor, the service - you have a great, sober life ahead of you! well done and keep going!
cathy31
x
PS not sure where you are in Australia, but I went to a really lovely friday morning meetnig on Bondi Beach when last there, stunning, lots of great people and great sobriety.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:46 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

just another learning experience.

the important thing - is choosin' life.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:37 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

hells a little full these days...

ndz, thanks for the fessup...

rz
Old 12-27-2007, 04:41 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

ndz you sound like you are doing well, the weed was not a good thing, but it is far from the end of the world, just take it one day and one step at a time, go to as many meetings as you can and get a sponsor, that made a huge difference for me and still does today, I will stay sober one day at a time as long as I maintain my spiritual fitness one day at a time.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:43 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Yeah, thanks for the kind words guys - I feel pretty good today, and have decided that any negative behaviour is damaging to the spirit and the soul, and thus detrimental to my spiritual recovery.

I figure this is the best way for me to look at it, because I swear the last week I have had moments where I have felt *connected* to everything, to the earth, to the sky and the air. It's been really nice, so no more stupid behaviour for me.

Hope everyone's doing well, looking forward to NYE - I am going to hang with people that don't drink, to make it a bit easier. I am actually very excited about seeing in the New Year sober! A year ago, I would've thought that was crazy talk (actually, I did, I remember about half the night haha)
All the best to you and yours, gonna get me to a meeting tomorrow I reckon -
Take care,

ndz