Notices

I just attended my first AA meeting...

Old 12-19-2007, 01:29 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

it *is* awesome! and amazingly healing.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

<<< Thanks all - I'm doin ok. >>>More like awesome nodrinkingzone!The best Christmas present if you have not purchased it already is THE BIG BOOK.
I came in a week before christmas 2002 and tried to buy is secretly,furtively by lurking around shop book stores.Got the courage up to ask and they had not heard of it! I spoke up about it and voila as you buy AA literature at the meetings.Best purchase i will ever have made.

At AA meetings the most important person is yourself and the newcomer.The newcomer reminds everyone of what it was like and also gives people the opportunity of helping which is the 12th step.

Look up on the computer AA meetings where you will be traveling.If you have no transport tell whoever and it has happened for me they will arrange to pick you up.You are on holidays but your disease is not!
Take care jen
Old 12-19-2007, 04:14 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

thx jen, I appreciate that.

I have already arranged a meeting on Sunday through the 'puter, and will look into others as I move around. I have actually read parts of the Big Book on the 'net aswell, but I will get a hard copy because I like what I've read.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Today i went to A LIVING SOBER MEETING which is another AA book which we read a chapter of and discuss.The chapter was on MEETINGS which included the importance but also the various types of meetings.What made it even more special was because i live in a tourists mecca we had overseas and interstate visitors here for Christmas vacations.Many had trouble finding the meeting because of its location but they all persevered and came in late with funny stories of getting lost and one old gent from South Africa said he
knew his Higher Power would eventually point him in the right direction

There were very young and old and long sobriety and newbies BUT we all had the same bond.

jen
Old 12-20-2007, 09:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Ok, it's Day 5 and I just got home from my 3rd meeting. This one was different again, but they're all the same, in a way.

This meeting was in a rough part of town, where I used to work - it was such an incredibly diverse group of people (gay, transvestite, rich, young, old, poor), and yet - I could still relate to everyone who spoke. Amazing, the diversity in our society, and yet we're all so similar. If there's one thing I think this program can do, it's to unite people and remove those barriers for communication.

I am still sweating, and still a bit cramped, but feeling a million times better again than yesterday.

Man, this has been the most incredible week. All I've been able to see, on the news, in the paper, is people getting their lives ruined by alcohol. There was a news story about 12 yr old kids in rehab the other night, Oprah was about alcoholism the other day, it's everywhere - might just be my perception that's changed, but it makes it easier to say no.

The other thing is that I had my first sense of 'scared' today - I'm going to stay with a friend for a week over NYE, and I know that he drinks and smokes weed. And I know that I can't do either of those things (and don't want to). But I got just a little bit worried, because 'the voice' started up - "maybe you CAN just have a couple of beers, I mean if you only buy a six-pack.. or what about smoking joints, I mean - so long as you don't drink, right?" and then I realised that I simply cannot take any substances except food, water, juice and healthy goodness.

That's what I want right now, voices be damned. SO onwards and upwards, just spoke to my ex and that's actually more amicable than I could expect, she's a patient woman and I think she's glad I'm getting my **** together - our relationship is over, but we still care about each other and that's the best way to leave something I think.

All this is now out of my hands, I'm just riding the wave and letting the universe take control. I don't have a word like 'bless' for my conception of reality and the divine, but if I could make one up it would be something like:

"universal radiance to you all"
Old 12-21-2007, 03:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. Can you get to meetings during the time you are staying with a friend over the holidays? I would scope those out before making the trip. Way early in sobriety to be around someone who uses - please be careful. You're recognizing that it's risky - but that addict voice can be very tempting when you've got the booze and weed right there in your face. I simply couldn't be around it.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:55 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Yeah I will look into meetings where I'll be, I've already got meetings planned for the first leg of the journey, so it's a matter of downloading the meeting list for the second NYE leg. I agree, I think it's way too early to be tempted.

Actually, it's one of those things that I'm learning through reading here and elsewhere - that this week, withdrawing, is probably easier than the next 3 months/ 12 months/ 10 years will be - I think barb called it the 'pink cloud'?

I have also got a few other places to stay if I feel the strain, and a few friends who are not big drinkers at all, including my sis (who has an alcoholic boyfriend, both not drinking) so there are a few different options. I don't think I should spend the week and a half without going to meeting, I don't want to lose my momentum. The last thing I need at this point is more remorse, more self-doubt, and more self-pity.

I know my posts haven't really been that negative, but it's been a long and crappy year, and I am still dealing with the fact that I am on my own, with no partner any more, and only barely have a job that I may not be able to keep. Brave faces, and all that.

Thanks though, I totally agree. And thanks for reading my posts, I'm using this board as a way of organising my thoughts and exploring all these new concepts, you know how just writing things down makes them more real, and easier to understand? well that's what this board has become for me, as well as a place to gain support and affirmation.

thanks, and cheers.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Lurker

Hey! Man in my opion you are in for a hard weekend. Even now in my sobriety I would not want to be around so much temptation. Definately get to as many meetings as posible, and maybe try to get some numbers from people in the program. Call them when you need too. Be careful.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:29 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Thanks, I will. I've already told this guy that I'm not drinking or taking anything, and if I feel like I'm killing his buzz (or am unable to restrain myself) I'll go elsewhere - but he's been a friend for a long time (primary school), and he knows what I'm going through (having seen me withdraw from heroin etc, and has been very supportive in the past). I actually think he'd be happy not to consume anything for the week I'm there, I need to talk to him a bit more about it, and I might just head out for a quiet NYE with some other people or on my own while he goes and does his thing.

It's tough, all this was planned before my life fell apart - I might be better off just changing my plans as I go, I don't know - I'll arrange some meetings, and see what happens when I get there I think.. Of course, I'll be near computers so I'll still be able to check in here, which has been really important the last few days.

Thanks.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:31 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Lurker

I am glad you are planning ahaid. Sobriety is truely worth it. Have fun.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:35 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hey Nodrinkingzone in AA we do not tell someone what to do BUT do refer to our recovery in order to make our point come through.Warning bell are ringing in your head and for good reason.Maybe it is your HP.Even for long time sober members this time of the year can be tough let alone a new and vulnerable member.
I actually lost two best women buddies as i would not party like before and one of them admitted she felt threatened by my sobriety.It sounds at least like you have several options open to you and make sure you get to a meeting.It is a joy to have the first no hangover christmas and NEW YEARS DAY!Also to watch how everything starts out brilliantly and than as the grog increases there is a definite change for the worse even if it is just having someone tell you the same thing repeatedly.
I wish you all the best ODAAT!
jen
Old 12-21-2007, 05:49 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Thanks lostmdboy, I'm looking forward to it! After 15 years of wasted on whatever I could get my hands on, I'm looking forward to seeing the world from truly sober eyes. I've really enjoyed today, and I'm looking forward to tomorrow - pack in the morning, make sure I've got all my pressies, catch a bus and arrive at destination A in the afternoon (it's 12:37am here, just after midnight in Australia).

I have had some great conversations with people in the last few days, some of the very few people I really care about, and I can remember them! I have been productive, I've got everything done I've needed to, when I've gone shopping I haven't forgotten half the list and come back with enough booze for three days, I mean - this is just awesome. That's the buzz I need to ride right now, HOW GOOD IS IT TO NOT BE WASTED!

Thanks Jen, it might be a bit malicious (like the other thread), but I am kinda looking forward to sober xmas and NYE - to see everyone act like I usually do heehee

It is definitely ODAAT (i got it, but I had to think about it ) for now, but that's ok - I can do that, I've given up - it's in the hands of the universe, I just have to not drink the first drink and ask for help if I need it, which I am getting better at doing. Thanks again.

And on that note, goodnight all, hope you have a great sober day and enjoy everything life sends ya -

ndz
Old 12-21-2007, 05:49 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

This meeting was in a rough part of town, where I used to work - it was such an incredibly diverse group of people (gay, transvestite, rich, young, old, poor), and yet - I could still relate to everyone who spoke. Amazing, the diversity in our society, and yet we're all so similar. If there's one thing I think this program can do, it's to unite people and remove those barriers for communication.
One thing about alcoholism is that it is totally non-discimnatory!!!! The cool thing with AA is there are a lot of very rich and famous people in the program that could easily afford the most expensive therapist or treatment centers going, but they are wise enough to know to go with what works and not what has a fancy expensive name. Think about it, I can afford the exact same long term treatment/program as the richest folks going.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:52 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

And one of the reasons I stopped going to see a homoeopath/naturopath at $120 an hour and started AA - I'm a student!

(I only went to see her twice, and I still drank so I figured why pay?)

'night mate, sleep good.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:58 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

nodrinkingzone turn those plans over to the universe and then meditate on them for a bit and see if you have all the bases covered and are doing what is best for you and your sobriety.

One thing to add no matter what you wind up doing, make sure you have an OUT!!!!

What I mean by that is if you go some where make sure you have a way of leaving there without depending upon some one else.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:06 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

CONGRATULATIONS! ndz

You are doing great !

have a happy safe and sober christmas!
Might trip over you @ a meeting some time LOL

Cheers
Leigh
Old 12-21-2007, 01:53 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

AWESOME AWESOME STUFF ...

This thread makes me so happy I can't even tell you

Welcome (belatedly) to SR.COM. We've pretty much all been to hell and back, and many of us remember our feelings in early sobriety very well ... kinda fun to re-live them vicariously through the sharing of a newcomer.

Along with the Big Book of AA, I also recommend the Big Book of NA, and the book Living Sober (AA) most of all ... awesome book! I also recommend NA meetings, esp. given you once had a opiate problem. There's NO reason you should avoid NA just because right now your problem is alcohol. Lots to be learned in both meetings, I go to both AA and NA, even though I never had a big drinking problem, it was opiates I got addicted to.

You have an awesome attitude about the whole thing, I must say, I have a really good feeling about your chances for continued success. Keep going to different meetings, and keep listening to people there, as they are people who generally know more than you about living sober! Buy/read all the recovery literature you can afford, get a sponsor, work the steps, the AA way will become clear, in time, if you just KEEP COMING BACK. Cause it does work ... if you work it!

Congrats on your clean time, BTW.

Great stuff ...
Old 12-21-2007, 02:52 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Thanks guys, I just woke up - first time I've slept in, felt really nice to get a good 9 hours sleep...

I've locked all that in, thanks for your support, I'll make sure I got my bases covered and I think it'll be alright. I'm actually going to hang out with my friends' parents on Sunday arvo (after a meeting), I was at her wedding and I was the mc - drunk

Well, her folks have been attending meetings for over 15 years now (sober), and offered more than a year ago to talk if I ever wanted to discuss my alcoholism... looks like I can finally take them up on it.

Thanks bvaljalo, I think you're right - I've been thinking about that NA meeting I walked away from, and realised that just cos I haven't stuck a needle in my arm for a while, doesn't mean I can't relate - I'm still an addict, always will be. I'll keep that in mind from now on.

You guys are tops. :ghug
Old 12-24-2007, 01:51 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Just checking in to this little thread which I've made my place in the forum, hope you don't mind...

So I'm w/ my ex's family, but it's ok - we're on good terms, everything's ready for tomorrow, and I had a great day today with old friends. The withdrawals are over for the most part, I feel fantastic, and am totally looking forward to sober xmas and new year's festivities.

I wish you all the best, and I can't help but feel that I am working the first two steps every day at the moment - I have admitted that I'm powerless, and I have turned my life over to the universe/HP as I see it. I don't drink, and that's that. I ask to not drink, and I don't have the first one, because I am powerless to control my drinking after that.

I feel good, I look healthy, people are complimenting me, I am clear headed and looking forward o the future for the first time in a long time. I have done my share of scumbag things, I'm not proud of a lot of my actions (robzoloft, I'm with you on a lot of things) but I have a real chance to become the person I feel I should be. This is it!

Man, life is good - If this can inspire anyone, then I'm glad I typed it. If you need convincing, look back to my first post - I was a heroin addict, I've sniffed glue, butane, nitrous, taken coke, sped, meth, and been drunk since I was 13. I have taken more acid than anyone I know. I've sold drugs to support my habit, I've been to psych ward, and I've ruined almost every relationship I've had. I'm staying with the family of the women who left me two weeks ago, if only for her nephews, and we are sleeping in separate rooms.

And I feel, for the first time since I quit heroin (which was still a pretty dark time, due to going straight to a bottle of vodka a day) that there's a light, that I'm over it - that I can change my life by continuing meetings and happily NEVER DRINK OR DO DRUGS AGAIN. And enjoy that, which is something that I previously thought impossible.

Awesome day, simply awesome. The universe is providing!
Old 12-24-2007, 04:28 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hey NDZ it all sounds great.Glad the withdrawals have been not too severe but the positivity of your post is awesome.Wishing you all the best and a happy holiday.Keep up the meetings if you can.I went today and met somone with 50yrs sobriety and what he said was he still needs meetings and unless your willing to share it than you can lose it.
your sharing here is 12th step work!
jen