Notices

Hi my name's Mandi and i'm an alcoholic

Old 09-28-2007, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
"Grateful to be Sober."

Hi my name's Mandi and i'm an alcoholic

Hi all,
I think i'm going to need all the help i can get to continue sobriety so i intend to use this site regularly. There for i though it'd be good to introduce myself. Well yeah...i'm in my fourth day of sobriety and not enjoying it to be honest (suprise!) I'm currently at uni in my first yr and living in student halls, so as u can imagine alcohol is EVERYWHERE! I go in the fridge it's there, i go to the dining room to eat, it's there, i open the front door it's littered everywhere! I'm only 20 also so all i wanna do is go out with my new student buddies and get pissed and have fun! But i know i can't, i know it won't work like that. Because i'm not a normal drinker. I will not be able to go out and have a few, have a laugh, and then thats it. Oh no chances are i'll blackout, pass out, throw up etc and then i'll wake up and while everyone is dying of a hangover i'll pour my self another voddy...you get the picture. So yeah, i've given up. I know i will never get a degree if i drink. Esspecially now i'm away from home all i want to do the majority of the time is drink. They say accepting it is the hardest thing. I 100% agree with this. I still find myself craving it so bad that i'll entertain thought of drinking again...but i know i can't go down that road again. I'm an alcoholic. Well guys, hope thats given you all a rough pic of me and my situation right now. Sorry i've been moaning- just good to get it out! Thanks to all of u who have posted- i've found a lot of them really helpful to read over.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, mandi! you're not moaning, you're being honest - and i appreciate that. there are actually quite a few young people posting on sr right now, so keep reading about their experiences and keep reaching out.

blessings, k
Old 09-28-2007, 09:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi Mandi, nice to meet you. I'm 20 too, and near London. Looking forward to getting to know you, its nice to see someone the same age as me!
Old 09-28-2007, 09:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

mandi I am not sure what uni you go to, but I can tell you where to find other sober students to have fun with, AA! Look it up in the uni directory or look up AA in the local phone book, I can assure you that you will find other students just like you.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mandi,

It sure is a tough moment when you realize that you're an alcoholic and you're not going to be able to drink. But, it's so good that you have recognized this problem and are dealing with it.

Try to get involved in activities at university that don't revolve around drinking and keep focusing on your goal to finish school.

I hope you keep posting.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Mandi,

Welcome to our recovery community - I'm so glad you decided to join us. Congratulations on your decision to get sober.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Mandi - congratulations on your decision. Be thankful you came to this realization now and not 20-30 yrs. from now with a ruined life & ruined relationships trailing behind you. It is one of the hardest things you'll ever do, no denying that, but try to feel excited about your new life & new attitude. We'll be here for you, there is loads of wisdom, humor and friendship to be found on SR.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Mandi. Welcome to SR - so glad you found us!
And congratulations on making this decision so early. I saw all the signs you are talking about in my University days but just kept on. If only I did what you are doing then I could have saved myself 15 years of drinking.
Well done and good luck. Keep posting, you will get some great support and advice here.

Oct
Old 09-28-2007, 01:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Mandi !

Welcome aboard !
Old 09-28-2007, 01:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hi Mandi,

Keep going!! Nice to meet you..

Karen
Old 09-28-2007, 02:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Mandi! Welcome aboard! You'll find some really great people here. You're in good company.
I can relate allot to your situation. I drank in the same way as you (that is, not just 2 or 3 like "normal" people do, but if i had one i'd drink untill i ended up unconcious). Most of my friends drank allot. I was also 20 the first time i quit. I was sober for 6 and half years. I started again 7 months ago. Today's my 5th sober day. It's not easy at times but this time I have a feeling that, with the help of the wonderful people on here, it's really going to work.
Let us know how your getting on. Don't be tempted by peer preasure.
Good luck!
Old 09-28-2007, 02:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome!
Old 09-28-2007, 02:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hi Mandi, welcome to SR! Moan away all you want, we've all been where you're at and wouldn't be here without the support of so many great people in recovery.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome Mandi
Old 09-28-2007, 06:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

hey Mandi! i can completely identify with being in the dorms and trying to stay sober. i was 19 when i first was introduced to the program. its definitely not easy. i didnt take it seriously and spent ages 19-25 enduring intense and horrific pain and destruction. i am 27 now (been sober since 25) and i can say most of the people my age here drink also. it is definitely possible though! care to tell us what has happened that is making you consider sobriety?
Old 09-29-2007, 03:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Best wishes Mandi,plenty of people on here to listen and offer advice.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Mandi,

I am late as usual and I see that you have posted elsewhere too.

I just wanted to welcome you to SR.

My name is Steph and I am an alcoholic.

Our AA groups are full of teens and 20s having a ball together and going out - yes even to drinking parties - without fear and with no desire to drink.

We are not a glum lot.

I just wanted you to know that recovery and sobriety doesn't mean "to become boring" or a nun or anything. Things will be even better. You don't have to try to stop alone and there is hope for a way better life than the one you have been experiencing hun.

So welcome!!!