Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

NA V.S. AA? People with multiple addictions what do you think?

Notices

NA V.S. AA? People with multiple addictions what do you think?

Old 11-12-2009, 07:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Heathen

I've gone to both.. whatever works, right?
Old 11-12-2009, 07:14 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Change4life you have recieved some awesome advise.

In my area the majority of AA folks were cross addicted, most call them selfs alcoholics in AA, some say addict & alcoholic, others say cross addicted, a few simply as addicts, for 95% of AA folks we could care less, there are a few old timers whose feathers get ruffled at the mere mention of a drug other then alcohol in an AA meeting.

One of my sponsee's who has never set foot in an NA meeting (I have never asked why) was a crack head as well as an alcoholic, another did it all and as far as I know he also has never gone to NA. I speculate that one reason they attend AA is simply because there are far more AA meetings and their alcoholism led them to drugs.

As others have said, do not worry about it, just find a core set of meetings you like and identify with, NA or AA, find a sponsor in either fellowship that has recoevered from both if possible.

That being said, I smoked some pot in my day, but I am a straight up alcoholic, yet I have sponored several men that were "Cross Addicted" and they have stayed sober, not because of me, but due to the fact that like my sponsor did with me, I took them throught the steps straight out of the book, the only thing I did was shared my ES&H with them in regards to my taking the steps.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Thanks all who contributed to this thread. I am an addict. I don't think I am physically an alcoholic and have been wondering what to do...there are far more AA than NA meetings around, but I really resonate with NA literature.

Guess I'll try both, and see which fits.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

This thread is from 2007 originally.
I hope wherever Change4Life is, she found something that works for her

D
Old 02-17-2014, 09:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shaun00 View Post
not my experience tyler.

AA.....is for alcoholics.......if you have an addiction to drugs as well......then as far as im concerned your in the right place for your alcoholism..

i want to attend aa to hear peoples experience with alcoholism......wherever your also a drug addict is none of my business..
what gets me bent is aa full of people with no experience with alcoholism..

some people shout from the roof tops that its all the same.......well i have NO experience of drug addiction so i wouldnt know.......

same as i dont go to overeaters..or sex addicts.......gamblers......BECAUSE i have no experience with that particular addiction..
If you truly listened to a drug addicts story you would see no difference. Try substituting booze language with drug language in your own story and I'm sure you'll be astounded with how similiair it is to someone in nas story.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Derek

This is an old thread - feel free to start a new thread to share your story

D