Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

NA V.S. AA? People with multiple addictions what do you think?

Notices

Old 07-25-2007, 06:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im Addicted to alcohol and a potpourri of drugs and Im new to the meeting thing. Everynight I have a choice to go to nA or AA and I was wondering if anyone ahs any opinion on which is better or if it really matters since addiction is addiction.

For me I seem to have a harder time letting go of the booze than the drugs. does that mean I should go to AA?
Old 07-25-2007, 08:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

they are both based on spiritual principles of living and growing, on becoming honest, open minded and willing to go to any lengths to live the life you were born to live, to become a purposeful individual and to help others.

dont give too much energy right now into analyzing the distinctions between NA and AA. just go, and go and go....soon you will find where youu feel the most right
Old 07-25-2007, 09:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

NA covers all drugs... that includes alcohol.

AA is for the most part for alcohol only.
Same 12 steps, different focus of substance.

Try both and you may find that you like one more then the other.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

I agree that both fellowships/programs are based on spiritual principles and helping us to become honest, open-minded and willing individuals. As a newcomer, I went to both and had a great time learning how to live without drink or drugs. I could relate to the alcoholic because I had drank like a fish at one time, but I also could identify with the addict because I used like a dope fiend. Once I got a sponsor in NA, he suggested that I continue to attend both because it was working for me - yet, he advised me to respect each fellowship and listen to learn. At around 6 or 7 months clean, he told me that one day I would decide which fellowship I felt most comfortable in and I would call it home. He was right and at a year clean I made NA my home.

As a newcomer, I suggest that you focus on the similarities right now instead of the differences. You can decide later. Just stay clean and go to meetings.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Go to the one you feel mosy comfortable with.I go to AA and am a dope feen as well {pill junkie}.AA here is ok with talking about drugs because most of people in my groups are dual addicted.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Like you, I am cross addicted. A lot depends on the actual meeting or group. The AA meeting I attend has a lot of cross addicts, and we are able to express our other addiction issues, while the primary focus is on alcohol. Na is more inclusive in that it requires an abstinance from all drugs, including alcohol. But just go, try whatever is available. Most critical in my opinion is to find a sponsor who is cross addicted.

But go, it saved my life........
Old 07-26-2007, 04:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

BFree,

I am new to recovery and sobriety. My primary issue is Narcotics but alochol will always lead me to drugs so I can't drink.
I have attended NA and AA meetings over the last week and feel comfortable in both places.
Where I live AA meetings outnumber NA meetings so I have been attending more AA meetings. I have also found that in order to get a sponsor I had to go to AA, not a lot of women in the NA meetings I'm able to get to but I do go to one NA meeting a week.

Good luck to you. I will tell you that for me the meetings have made a difference and I never believed that they would.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Beth, I would try both if I was you. No need to choose really.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I go to NA, even though alcohol is my drug of choice, because--as you say--an addiction is an addiction, and NA reminds me constantly that alcohol is also a drug. According to the philosophies of both fellowships, however, the newcomer (you!) is the most important person in the room. So if you feel somehow unwelcome at one meeting, if people do not approach you afterwards, etc., just try another meeting somewhere else, no matter what fellowship. But don't give up! I agree that, for now, you should not put so much energy into analyzing the differences between AA and NA, and simply get to one of them as quickly as possible. You are on the right track either way!
Old 06-28-2009, 08:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I am a proud member of both fellowships.

For me neither is superior, inferior, better than, or less than.

Are there differences? Absolutely. Are there things I don't like in NA & AA? Absolutely.

But both fellowships are comprised of 'people'... and I feel like I belong with 'people' now.

People like me.

Great topic.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I think it really depends on the specific meeting. Some people in AA groups will get bent out of shape if you dual identify addicit/alcoholic, because they feel AA is solely for alcoholics. On the other had some people in NA get bent out of shape because "alcohol is a drug" so they feel dual indetification is redundent. It's really all semantics I think.

My personal experience is that NA is more inclusive, as they consder alcohol to be a drug, therfore an alcoholic is a drug addict as well. At the same time I've been to AA meetings where drug abuse was discussed openly with no conflict what so ever.

I guess my advice for those with dual addictions is to identify youself as an alcoholic at AA, and addict at NA, and then get a feel for the vibe of that particular meeting. Every group has it's own unique personality, best not to go in trying to rock the boat if you don't have to.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

been to both countless times, I prefer AA.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wherever you feel most comfortable. Try 'em both and see how it goes. Program-wise it is pretty much the same deal in both and AA is not just about alcy anymore.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

I will go to both but prefer NA, more people my age in that fellowship.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I face myself warts and all in NA because of the detail covered.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

I am an Alcoholic.....I attend both, Alcohol is a drug!!!
Old 11-12-2009, 05:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

From AA Literature: Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves.

From NA Literature: No addict seeking recovery need ever die.

Advantage : NA
Old 11-12-2009, 05:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

?

Welcome to SR
Old 11-12-2009, 06:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I go to AA and study/implement a 12 step programme because im an alcoholic.

If i had a drug addiction i would attend NA and would study/implement the na 12 step programme.

I have an eye problem and i go to the eye clinic.....

i have mild depression....for that i go to depression/mental health support sites.

i have a vw car............and guess what...........i take it to vw.

just me.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think it really depends on the specific meeting. Some people in AA groups will get bent out of shape if you dual identify addicit/alcoholic, because they feel AA is solely for alcoholics.
not my experience tyler.

AA.....is for alcoholics.......if you have an addiction to drugs as well......then as far as im concerned your in the right place for your alcoholism..

i want to attend aa to hear peoples experience with alcoholism......wherever your also a drug addict is none of my business..
what gets me bent is aa full of people with no experience with alcoholism..

some people shout from the roof tops that its all the same.......well i have NO experience of drug addiction so i wouldnt know.......

same as i dont go to overeaters..or sex addicts.......gamblers......BECAUSE i have no experience with that particular addiction..