Notices

Temporarily Withdrawn From College

Old 04-24-2007, 03:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hope, you are doing so well by just keeping sober. Huge hugs to you, I know how hard it is you just don't pick up ok? Keeping sober is a job in itself, just keep sober all the other stuff Is secondary right now.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Originally Posted by stone View Post
Hope, you are doing so well by just keeping sober. Huge hugs to you, I know how hard it is you just don't pick up ok? Keeping sober is a job in itself, just keep sober all the other stuff Is secondary right now.
That is very true.....without sobriety, we have nothing.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am sorry to hear that you are going through a hard time. I am wondering if this is a liability issue for the college more than anything, it probably is. I hope you are able to get some form of tuiton reimbursement. I wonder if there is any way maybe they could tranfer you to some form of online classes or self-study for those classes so you can at least complete them. It might be worth asking. I have just been through something really painful for me and the miracle is finally kicking in and I can't stress enough how true it is the saying 'don't quit before the miracle'. I heard Bob E. say in a talk last night (online) that he has such faith in his higher power that 'if one door closes the next one is made of gold.' I am finding that to be so true.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
believer

in my case i forgot about that reimbursement. But you know i am in one of the best math colleges of Europe and i only pay like 980 Euros a year (like 1,300 dollars). And we have strikes here if it goes up like 50 bucks.lol.
I guess America gives the proper value to education.
Again i am confident the tears will dry and in some shape you can get that money back or discounted in the future.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Cheryl its all as it should be. See it as teh universe reaching out to help you get your treatment. Stay strong.

Kevin
Old 04-24-2007, 05:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
IO Storm

I am so touched by Stone's posts...reaching out to you

Hope4Life....I am moved to tears.....

You see hon, Stone and others (like me ) see your strong

and beautiful spirit even though you do not "feel" this way

right now. So much love and compassion I see.

On-line continuing education? They should offer you this

option. I bet by law they have to. Check it out.

Your friend,

Sherry
Old 04-24-2007, 07:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

hope for life....reading this thread i see the reason i keep coming back here...what amazing support you have given and recieved here.....i hope this all works out for the best......at least now you have the time you need to focus on your recovery.....that very well could be a blessing.....and you will complete a program and go back renewed.....and more determined than ever........i have no doubt of that......just have faith in yourself....
Old 04-24-2007, 08:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Bill W was almost kicked out of College.......

Err.. or was it Dr. Bob ?
Old 04-24-2007, 08:30 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

Originally Posted by Hope4life View Post

So the College decided that I needed to be temporarily withdrawn from college until I complete a treatment program (which I'm working on). They will not let me come back until I give them documentation that I have successfully completed treatment.

Why does this feel like the end of the world? I am crying over this.

Is it a blessing in disguise?
i dropped out a college 2nd semester of SENIOR year due to alcoholism and drug addiction. thanks to AA i work for bank of america and im transitioning to broker (the youngest ever in our entire region)...so it is not the end of the world my friend. if you stay sober and develop a solid relationship with a God of your understanding...you will be sitting on top of the world with your legs hanging free. this is God leading you towards him...stay on the path laid out for you.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:34 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
tangled up in blue

I would just like to tell the original poster that I understand your position. Though I wasn't forced to withdraw from school, I am officially withdrawing this week. I have had other situations in my life other than alcoholism which I am dealing with, but the alcoholism certainly isn't helping me move forward in my life. It can be extremely difficult to succeed when you have addictions that you have yet to take care of, so I would really try and look at this as an opportunity for bettering yourself. This is the way that I look at my situation; I assume that, once I do go back to school, I will be INCREDIBLY more focused than I am right now and will therefore get a hell of a lot more out of it than I am now. I'm not exactly making the most of my classes when I'm ridden with these horrible addictions to poison. I really wish you the best and I hope that eventually you'll be able to see this as a strange form of opportunity rather than a let down. <3 I wish you the best.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:16 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hope.. that sucks but you will come back and rock it. I went to treatment a year ago in May...and left before all of my finals! All of my professors just excused it.. and i was very lucky. I came back to school in the fall and did very well with recovery and being back in college... a few relapses, some hard time came up. Recently had a really bad one but am on day 10. So far i have excellent grades and that is what is keeping me sober! I can't give up on school, and its only a temporary withdrawl. I did the same and came back. Dont worry about it...and keep your head up!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:35 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Ok Hope, let's back the truck up a bit. If you will recall, when you went back to school you were advised to get some recovery under your belt first, but you, being the good alkie/addict wanted to do it your way, and in the process had many relapses and lots and lots of stress, far more than necessary.

Is it a blessing in disguise?
You bet your sweet azz it is, roflmao. Looks to me like your HP is doing for you what you would not do for yourself. Got your attention didn't he? lol

You know deep in your heart that by doing this now, taking the time, no matter how long that time is, and working on YOU and YOUR RECOVERY and learning how to LIVE SOBER AND CLEAN, will make you much stronger and READY to take classes and EXCEL.

So dry your eyes sweetie, this is quite an opportunity to build that foundation for your recovery in concrete, rather than sand.

Call me if you need to or want to or even if you don't. rofl

love you,
Old 04-24-2007, 09:47 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
tangled up in blue

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
You know deep in your heart that by doing this now, taking the time, no matter how long that time is, and working on YOU and YOUR RECOVERY and learning how to LIVE SOBER AND CLEAN, will make you much stronger and READY to take classes and EXCEL.
This is so true. Once you are clean of these poisons, you'll be clean of mind which will make it that much easier for you to excel and be a success. Even if you were able to half-ass your classes now, you know that you're not able to give it 100% when so much of our energy is being excuded on filling our bodies with junk.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:52 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Love ya Hope4.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:35 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

How are you doing today Hope?

Thinking of you...
Old 04-25-2007, 02:24 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

My school put me on medical leave and in detox and said I needed to follow up with a treatment program. I was so bitter, as soon as I got out of treatment, I drank myself into a hole for several months. I finally got help and I am on day 35 of sobriety... and am happier than I've been in years. In retrospect, I am grateful to my school for confronting me with the fact that I was leading a life of insanity (and for not kicking me out!) Everything happens for a reason. It's what you make of the experiences in your life that really matter. Take this time to take care of yourself. Don't give up. This is not the end; it is the beginning. PM me if you want... I've been where you are right now.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:13 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I am very deeply touched by all the love and encouragement from all of you... I truly treasure you all. You are very special to me.

I'm doing better today. Trying to look at it from a different angle.

It is a blessing...

I agree, my HP is doing for me what I wouldn't do for myself. I needed a boost in the right direction, lol.

This did get my attention. It is a huge wakeup call for me.

When I go back to school, I will be refreshed.
Early sobriety is hard enough without tons of added stress.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:13 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Amazing...

Livefree has the same experience....

Wow....

The beauty of these forums....

Love,

Sherry
Old 04-26-2007, 12:20 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hope...

It's a journey and a journey a trip and the road isn't always
straight or flat. Sometimes there's a broken bridge to cross
a canyon...i guess it's time you work on the bridge..lol

Sometimes it's not always what we think the path should be
Sometimes the road we must take is not exactly what we want.
But we still must move forward even if it's a differnt route
Adjust our sail to the changing wind sort of speak.

I'm very proud of you and your recovery Hope.
I'm also proud that you are attending school and educating yourself.
Well...you know, it's first things first.

nutz