Notices

Temporarily Withdrawn From College

Old 04-24-2007, 01:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Temporarily Withdrawn From College

So the College decided that I needed to be temporarily withdrawn from college until I complete a treatment program (which I'm working on). They will not let me come back until I give them documentation that I have successfully completed treatment.

Why does this feel like the end of the world? I am crying over this.

Is it a blessing in disguise?
Old 04-24-2007, 01:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh Hope,

It is SO not the end of the world!

It is an opportunity to take the time you need to get better.

When I was in university, I suffered from depression/anxiety/panic attacks. This was long, long before my drinking my days. I had no clue what was wrong or who to ask for help. I was so lost, and dropped out after my third year. I so wish someone had pushed me in the right direction at that time. It took me years before I finally went back and finished school and even longer before I was able to find help for my problems.

Take this as a gift and get better and go back and finish school. They didn't tell you not to come back, they told you to come back after you take care of yourself.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i think it is a blessing - you have enough on your plate right now. focus on your recovery, college will be there.

are you going to get it cleared from your record? any money back? i know when my daughter had to drop out, we were able to get it on her transcript as withdrawn and got some tuition returned - with a doc's note..just a thought.

here's a funny college story, i hope it makes you smile. i started my bachelor's degree in 1976. i finished it in 1996 - 20 years. my dad said to me at my graduation, "well, at least you didn't live in the dorm the whole time!"

hang in there, hope. you have lots of time..

blessings, k
Old 04-24-2007, 01:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rock-chalk-jayhawk..

hi there! i would be pissed off too. i dont think its right for them to tell you you cant do this or that. who has that right besides yourself? i dont understand why this would be an issue for them. unless im missing something. stay strong and positive if all possable. i wish i knew more about your situation. maybe i could have been of better help. dont let this bring you down. i know its hard. best regards...jason
Old 04-24-2007, 01:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sometimes the purpose of these sort of things doesn't show up until later. Just hold on- the reason will reveal itself. Keep your head up & keep movin forward.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
believer

Hope you are in a country where they understand and support you. They treat it as a disease.We don't have counselors here that can help us. Me i wish i had some time to get myself together but i can't afford to stop the classes. I've stopped before(i am a musician), when i came back i was more focused. Use this break as a blessing.
Some times i am sad because i am already 22 and i look at the kids doing better things than me. When my head is clear i realize that getting myself together is more important. I have realized that this is my road and the "standards" don't matter anymore. It's about the learning experience. Somehow i believe all this struggle will contribute with something special to my future, another vision of life.
I wish you so much love because it's really close to where i am right now.If you really stick to the program your head will be ready to face anything and you will face college in a different way.You will be more focused, wiser and most of all you will be proud and your head will be high.

it will be ok.God bless
Old 04-24-2007, 01:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Midas

It's not an ending. It's a beginning! How are things going in IOP?

Old 04-24-2007, 01:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Hope4:

You posted a Bible verse on the CIR forum and I won't

quote it here, but i have been holding onto it. I believe

it will help you...in Jeremiah...there is a purpose and a

plan for your life!

I like what Karim shared with you....

"If you really stick to the program your head will be ready to face anything and you will face college in a different way.You will be more focused, wiser and most of all you will be proud and your head will be high. it will be ok. God bless"

Nothing happens inGod's world by accident.

Love,

Sherry
Old 04-24-2007, 01:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sometimes the things that cause us the most pain turn out to be the greatest gifts - it just takes time before we can see and appreciate this.
Take this time to get well, friend. You can do this. We will be with you every step of the way.

Rowan
Old 04-24-2007, 02:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

..wanted to share this..

It was my dream to become a police officer, and I chased it with a passion. I was turned down every time, usually at the psych evaluation. While I trained physically for the competition, I was drinking and taking pills - a lot of both. I was CRUSHED when I was turned down for the final time. I was suicidal all through this (before being turned down) - my response to pain was to try to destroy it.

I never did become a police officer - and even now that I've got some sobriety, I no longer wish to become one. I thought my life was over - I felt like a loser - people knew I was turned down - but I can look back on that and say thank God I didn't become one. Can you imagine me walking the streets carrying a gun while in such a mental state? Me neither!

Took me years to recognize, accept, and be grateful for what happened. I got my life back!

Rowan
Old 04-24-2007, 03:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I guess I should look at all of this as an opportunity. It is a great motivator to keep going forward. I have been given many reasons to make the right choices and keep doing the right things.

All of these posts are really helping me. I am going to keep reading over them.

My head feels like a mess right now because I'm still upset.

When you're so close in a situation, it's hard to take a step back and see the big picture.

That is why I'm grateful that you helped give me another perspective on the whole sitution. That is giving me a lot to think about. I really needed that!

IOP is going great! I am getting a lot out of it...

Someone even told me that they could see a change in me. That made me feel good.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Your posts have made me smile through my tears!

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!
Old 04-24-2007, 03:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Is that legal? I mean you can't be fired from a job for admitting you have a problem and are seeking help.....can they do that? I am sort of confused about this...are you getting tuition reimbursement? Do they regularly test staff and other students for alcohol and drugs......something is fishy.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't know.. it doesn't feel fair.

I applied for a leave of absence until the fall semester and the lady told me that I had been temporarily withdrawn. I did not know that was going to happen. They won't even let me come back right now.

I am upset because they dropped me from all of the classes that I registered for in the fall semester! So even if I go back, I'm probably not going to find an open spot in all the classes I need.

I feel like I'm being punished for admitting that I have a problem.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi hope, what can I say except keep fighting babe? I have been on a massive binge lately but I really don't want you to do that. It sucks, you have been close and you beat it! Don't go back it really is awful keep fighting for you. Please, I am stopping tomorrow, I want you on my side k?
Old 04-24-2007, 03:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm probably not going to get tuition reimbursement because I was registered for over 60% of the semester.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Stone,
I'll be right here reaching my hand out to help pull you back to this side. I'll stick around and keep fighting.
We can help each other.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Is there legal aid near you...someone you can ask questions? Possibly someone at a meeting can help with the questions. It can't hurt to at least check your options...this whole thing is so wrong. Did you do anything in class? Were you on campus high/drunk? If not, how can they possibly do that. How can they make you prove you completed treatment...that alone is a confidentiality issue. Take a deep breath and gather your thoughts...the program may be able to help on this one...tell everyone you know at meetings, ask the treatment personel...someone has to be able to tell you your rights. Just because we are alcoholics/addicts doesn't mean we are second class citizens....especially when we are trying to get help!!!

Please let me know the progress...I am going to ask around here also.

Cathy
Old 04-24-2007, 03:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClimbingOut View Post
Sometimes the purpose of these sort of things doesn't show up until later. Just hold on- the reason will reveal itself. Keep your head up & keep movin forward.

Yes, there is a lot of truth to this...

Hope, you will be ok...I understand how you feel...Sometimes life just doesn't seem fair...

Thinking of you...
Old 04-24-2007, 03:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Originally Posted by Hope4life View Post
I'm probably not going to get tuition reimbursement because I was registered for over 60% of the semester.
But they won't let you finish, it seems like you should at least get some reimbursement.

Last edited by Surlyredhead; 04-24-2007 at 03:39 PM.