Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Any Moms Out There Keeping Sane While Not Using Part 26 (XXVI)

Notices

Any Moms Out There Keeping Sane While Not Using Part 26 (XXVI)

Old 04-23-2007, 08:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey, all!

Just checking in before bed.

jane- congrats on driving right by that liquor store... You're stronger than you give yourself credit for!

Mtn- Feel free to post here anytime you like. Everyone is great, and I know it can be overwhelming at times. I often feel like everyone knows each other and I'm the newbie trying to catch up and keep it all straight. But it gets better each day. The more you post, the more you will feel at home here.

Tam- I totally know the feelings that you are going through. I have a feeling a lot of my friends will react the same way, which is why I have not told most of them that I am no longer drinking. While watching Bachelor tonight, I soooooo wanted a glass of wine. I had bought some NA wine (Fre') and decided to have a glass. It tasted like grape juice! Yuck! Has anyone had any decent NA wine???? I was soooo tempted to have some REAL wine. Especailly since hubby's gone, kids are in bed... who would really know if I just had a glass or two????? But I successfully talked myself out of it.. YAY! 2 weeks today! I thinking it's actually getting harder instead of easier. I keep hearing that little voice saying that it's okay to just have a couple, to just not let it get out of hand, but my experiences tell me differently. I know that I could have a glass or two and I would be fine... for about a week.. then I would start to have more... then more... and soon I would be back inito my old habits of sneaking it. Just like NYC's tale of the margarita...
Old 04-23-2007, 09:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Angexa- I know how you feel. My dad didn't even call me on my birthday last year. We had talked a few days before it, so I guess he felt he didn't need to call again.... but it still bothered me. I do think you're right to be upset, but I wouldn't say anything to them. They probably just got very busy with kids and realized too late to call. I know that's happened to me many times.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm still struggling with this dang signature thing. I go to the "edit signature" link. I try to click on font, it does nothing. I put in a URL from photobucket, and it says "invalid image". I also have no clue how to use the smilies. I clickin them and nothing. I click on "more" and still nothing.

Apparently I am computer-challenged!
Old 04-23-2007, 09:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Ang..

My grandma calls me every year on my birthday..and this year she forgot..i was crushed and feeling really sad about it..kinda like you are right now.

The more I thought about it.. I had an expectation and when it was not full filled I immediately went to "poor me" mode..thinking I was unloved and so on...the addict in me was used to doing that..I have to come to terms with living life on lifes terms...I have done nothing wrong...it has nothing to do with me...she just forgot.

I can take things wrong but am learning how to work through it when my expectations are not met.

hope you had a good day..
~Beezy
Old 04-23-2007, 09:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

hey laura..you sound good ...
Old 04-23-2007, 09:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm doing alright. Just REALLY wanted some wine tonight! Now I'm WHINING! I guess that's the only kind of WHINE I can have!
Old 04-23-2007, 09:25 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Since I can't change my signature, i guess i'll just change my avatar.

GO GATORS!
Old 04-23-2007, 09:56 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

yeah, i know, they probably just forgot and then it was too late and the kids were probably in bed. it's probably just a coincidence that they BOTH forgot to call, but you are right, i am probably making it more than it is. watch them both call me tomorrow... lol
Old 04-23-2007, 10:03 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Folks!
Sooo late checking in because I just finished working on a project on medieval women...er...finished HELPING my 9yo finish a project on medieval women. (She went to bed ages ago...grrr...)

I am sooo tired - my eyelids are sooo heavy...

Parent-teacher interview today for my 13+ - She is so smart, they know it, but she is not nearly as motivated as I was to DO WELL IN SCHOOL. She is so *normal* though. When asked why her mark in science dropped from 90 to 70% last term, she clearly and simply said, "Because the unit did not interest me. The unit last term was fascinating. Of course I'd do better at something that interested me." The teacher sort of nodded and said, "Well, yeah. Welcome to life. It's like that." And I sat there thinking wow, I love this kid. I would never have come up with that if I was put on the spot in front of 3 teachers and my mom! She IS bright and she is creative, and I don't want to douse that flame...but she also has the POTENTIAL to implode or explode if I don't give her the right tools, which frightens me.

Ayla - I am NOT pregnant!! A momentary lapse of reason in Cuba led to much hand-wringing and heart palpitations, but thank the good Lord that all is well and no impending new motherhood for me. My dear cat, Madeline, however, did deliver 5 very cute babies. One week old yesterday.

I feel like responding to each and every post from the last 2 days, but I am not sure I can, without forgetting something or someone, which would kill me.

Suffice it to say I adore each and every one of you -- wherever you are at in life, in your sobriety, on this thread -- it doesn't matter. You are each so wonderful and so truly important to me. I love your quirks and quarks and heck, I just love the crap out of all of you!!

And dang it, I really need some sleep, but can't help reading back "just a little"...
Old 04-23-2007, 10:09 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

So anyway, before I hit the sack, just wanted to say that I think I could be the next Erin Brockovitch in my area. Over the last few years, I swear that over 50% of my street has either died prematurely or has developed cancer. I think there must be a link to the oil & gas refinery nearby -- but everyone in official circles pooh-pooh's that suggestion (quel surprise!) I have to make the connection!! At the same time, I have to get us the hell out of here!! And can I repeat::::"IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING"::::
Old 04-23-2007, 10:10 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good night, beautiful beautiful you guys.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:46 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

omg, candy......you bad girl! hehe....
Old 04-24-2007, 03:05 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Angie's thought for the day: (based on ideas from Being in Balance by Dr Wayne Dyer)

Is your "way of life" - your daily exsistance with all the routines and habits
in balance with
your "reason for life" - the dreams you have for a satisfying way of living (career, life, family, goals, etc)

If you feel yourself simply going through the motions and unconsciously allowing the daily habits to drain life from your dreams, then try to shift your energy to to contribute to your dreams. Commit to thinking about what you want on a daily basis rather than how impossible it is considering all the routine obstacles.

Far away in the sunshine are
my highest inspirations.
I may not reach them,
but I can look up and see the beauty,
believe in them and try to
follow where they lead...
--Louisa May Alcott--

Look at your dreams and follow where they lead, and enjoy your day.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:19 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Good morning! This was in my email from my sponsor this morning. Some things to make you think...
#3 is sooo me. And, unfortunately, I'm also finding out how true #23 is too.

1- It's not old behavior if I'm still doing it.

2- If you're looking to have an image in AA, look around at the meetings you go to and take a look at whom you're trying to impress.

3- An alcoholic is a person who wants to be held while he's isolating.

4- Sobriety is the leading cause of relapse.

5- A treatment center is where you go and pay $15,000 to find out that AA meetings are free.

6- The idea that alcoholics, drug addicts, sex addicts, overeaters, smokers, etc, etc, should all just go to AA Meetings because a disease, is a disease, is a disease... was started by a treatment center that only had one van.

7- This is a 'One Day at a Time' program. If you are clean and sober today, you are tied for first place in AA. (This is what we were talking about yesterday!)

8- If drinking is interfering with your work, you're probably a heavy drinker. If work is interfering with your drinking, you're probably an alcoholic.

9- I often obsessively pursue feeling good, no matter how bad it makes me feel.

10- When I was new, I didn't think I had any obsessions until I started thinking about it. Then it was all I could think about.

11- How come if alcohol kills millions of brain cells, it never killed the ones that made me want to drink?

12- From a newcomer reading the 'Promises' for the first time: "We will comprehend the word "cemetery" and we will know peace." (It's usually "serenity")

13- If God were small enough to be understood, he/she/it wouldn't be big enough to be God! (Remember, "God" is your higher power in whatever form makes sense to you.)

14- If you want to quit drinking; you are going to have to quit drinking.

15- Newcomer: How do I know how many meetings I should attend each week?
Old-timer: Gradually cut back until you get drunk. Then you'll know.

16- I would rather go through life sober, believing I am an alcoholic, than go through life drunk, trying to convince myself that I am not an alcoholic.

17- Resentments are like stray cats: if you don't feed them, they'll go away.

18-The difference between a problem drinker and an alcoholic is that:
(A) When alcohol is taken away from the problem drinker, the problem goes away
(B) When alcohol is taken away from the alcoholic, the problem begins.

19- Before I came into AA, I was dead, but I did not know enough to lay down.

20- I drank when I was happy. I drank when I was unhappy. Actually, I am a reason to drink.

21- You don't have to be sick to want to get well. But if you don't want to get well, you ARE sick.

22- I can't do my higher power's will in my way.

23- In order to change the way we feel we need to change the way we act. There is only one way to coast, and that is down hill.

23- The good news is you get your emotions back; the bad news is you get your emotions back.

24- All we ask is that you completely change your attitude as soon as possible.

25- I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all.

26-Joy isn't the absence of pain -- it's the presence of God--in whatever form I see him/her/it.

“Ordinary day, ordinary day, let me be aware of the treasure you are”

Last edited by scootinbabe; 04-24-2007 at 05:47 AM.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:16 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hey Beauties- so glad to hear you this morning. That's a lot of content for this early! You're getting my brain going with a lot to consider.....

Candy- sounds like a Pulitzer-winning investigative piece to me. But do get the hell out asap!

Scoot- loved what you posted. Esp this:

"7- This is a 'One Day at a Time' program. If you are clean and sober today, you are tied for first place in AA." Will keep this in the front of my mind today as I start day 6.

Last night I felt like I was just burning time to get to bedtime...wandering around the house, trying to find something to do other than go to the liquor cabinet. But after I did get to bed I had a great night sleep (so unusual for me- chronic insomniac), had very vivid GOOD DREAMS!!!! and then woke up early- while it was still dark- which hasn't happened since I don't know when. No headache....wow- I think my body is changing!

C'est...the excerpt you posted gives me so much to think about. I needed to hear that so much. I am (or have been) my worst enemy in my life for a long time now. I have so many dreams which I have convinced myself I'm not worthy of. I have blocked the path to them with truckloads of fear and have sabotaged opportunities because of that fear.
I'm gonna look up this book.

I'll check in later to see who's around.

Love to you all.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:53 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Helloooooo! La la la. Okay I watched seinfeld last night and Ihaven't seen the belly button episode in soo long.

Laura. It is a little trick! I'll walk you through it tonight. IT seems stupid once you figure it out. Just get your image ready on photobucket or whatever site you use and make sure it is email size or avatar size.

Love you guys. I have a power meeting today with a new project that I am starting with my business. Been waiting a year for this one! Wish me luck

Angela, my brother never calls me for anything and it breaks my heart. I know they are busy, and live an hour and a half away. But it breaks my heart too. So I feel yah!!!!!!!
Old 04-24-2007, 06:57 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Scootinbabe... I loved that post! Cool thread... I am jumping on.....

s

"The days seem long, though the hours can be longer"
Old 04-24-2007, 07:04 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

hi begin, welcome!

scoot and c'est..your posts were a great way to start the morning.....
Old 04-24-2007, 07:04 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

hey begin-nashville huh?????? i am about 2 and 1/2 hours south of ya!!!!! jump on in we have a great time!! also WELCOME!!!
Old 04-24-2007, 07:05 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

morning, ladies....how are my girls today?