Notices

Any Moms Out There Keeping Sane While Not Using Part 8

Old 01-09-2007, 10:30 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

lol, brynn, try again
Old 01-09-2007, 10:34 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

NYC- I am not afraid of what they will think now....we have a four bedroom home in a great neighborhood and thankfully I was able to find a guy to marry me that was not a COMPLETE LOSER!!! He is financially stable, well he WAS until he married me and had to pay out of pocket for my treatment....GUILT!!!!!
Anyway, I know they will be ok with who we are TODAY and what we have planned for Taylor.......so I just have to keep my focus on that and just tell them that that was then and this is now......I just hate all of it!

Misti -
Constipation - try soaking the prunes in O.J....soak them overnight and then give them to him (with the o.j.) in the morning. I did this after having Taylor for constipation and it worked like a charm....it took hours not days to kick in. I still do it when there are "issues" in that department.
BUT....be careful, you don't want to make it worse by giving him a lot of prunes/apples....if the o.j. trick does not work then back off from that and give his tummy some time. I remember when Taylor was that age....we was so constipated that they actually had to go in and pull stuff out.....if all fails try Castor Oil.....that is SURE to work!

Sleeping.....put him in the same crib/bed every night. Get a routine down......give him a bottle and rock him for a little while but then put him in his crib, maybe put a soothing CD on very softly and then walk out of the room. Every 10 minutes go in and just lay him back down and pat his back (let him know you are there)....but don't pick him up!!! After a few nights the screaming will stop and he will maybe fuss a little but it won't last. He just needs a routine and to know that you are there.
(My sister is a ped. nurse and she was a nanny for YEARS....if you are wondering why I would have this information
Old 01-09-2007, 10:40 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Wedding photo

I will try and upload a photo but I am not sure how to do this......I am attaching a wedding photo from our wedding in October.....
Jules
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
soberrecovery.jpg (11.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 01-09-2007, 10:41 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by brynn38 View Post
dont know what I'm doing!
If at first you don't suceed...try try again...

I would help you if I could, but I just can't put my thumb on the directions right now!!!

Steve

Old 01-09-2007, 10:49 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Here he is...

Here is a picture of Taylor from his Birthday party at our home in September.
Attached Images
Taylor.jpg (38.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-09-2007, 10:51 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

ita with jules about putting baby down with routine and letting him cry it out if necessary. i would hold baby and sit in rocker, turn on music (same cd every time), read story (same story until they get older and notice--but something calming like "guess how much i love you"), then put him in crib and leave. if he screams for more than 5 minutes, return and pat or rub back and leave again. continue... hard to do at first but it usually only takes a few days until he gets in the routine.

i don't remember what the brand of stool softener we used--it was made for babies and was all natural, but it worked. raisins do too. bananas do the opposite. so does apple/applesauce.

good luck and hang in there.

jane--me too on the lose weight thing. i'm scared to weigh myself after the holidays. my whole family needs to eat more healthily. i haven't tried pilates either but want to someday (you know, that elusive "someday" when i feel comfortable enough to take a class with others).

i've heard good things about the portugese water dog and the irish water spaniel and need to check them out.

the one thing with those two breeds that kind of deters me is that they look like poodles and--no offense meant here and i know that poodles are the most intelligent breed and all that--i simply don't picture me with a poodle. for that matter, i can't see me with a little tiny dog (unless i lose a LOT of weight lol!). i like the big breeds--labs, german shepherds, dobermans, newfoundlands, etc. but dh wants to scale down.

good news is that i can't get one for at least two years so i can indulge myself looking at dogs and having fun with the idea during that time.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:52 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

jules, i probably don't know the right way but the way i included a photo was going to advanced and uploading a jpg image.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:53 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

my mouth is all numb...so weird...but the one tooth is fixed. need to go back in a few weeks for the other. hate going to dentist. grr.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:54 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Another one...

This is me in our kitchen (where I always am...either eating or cooking)...now you can put a face with the name
Attached Images
Julie.jpg (47.7 KB, 28 views)
Old 01-09-2007, 10:55 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

thanks for the help
problem is, i ALWAYS rock baby til asleep
guess i need to break that, eh?
they are especially loud today, and i am especially anxious, hate feeling like this
Old 01-09-2007, 10:59 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Sober and Free

Mis, I agree with Jules on putting the baby down. Hailey (our baby) crys (screams) for about ten minutes. I watch the clock, and she's normally out before I go back in. But I have to watch the clock or else it feels like an eternity when it's only been a few minutes.

I dont normally get her back out unless I know she has a fever or is teething or had a funky sleep schedule that day.

However, starting it, they scream longer. They figure out, somewhere along the way, that the lnger and louder they scream we'll come and get them. So, you have to prove them wrong lol

My oldest this never worked with. She's bang he head against the crib or the wall until bled. And to think...I didn't drink then!
Old 01-09-2007, 11:02 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Sober and Free

Hang in there mama. We all know those days. Breathe through it. If you need to, put them all somewhere safe, plopped in from on the tv or screamin gin a crib- and go OUTSIDE! They will survive for a few minutes while you get your barings. You dont need to be a people pleaser to your kids, just mom (I have to remind myself of that hourly ... you may not have that problem lol)
Old 01-09-2007, 11:03 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

um, think i will wait a few days until i feel a bit better
Old 01-09-2007, 11:04 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

you know, i feel horrible, but my son is driving me up the wall today
if i have to say his name one more time, i'm gonna scream
and this can't be good for him, either....i try to leave him alone, but he is SOOOOOOOOOOO loud, i can't work
telling him be quiet a zillion times a day is not good
he needs to get back in school...i don't want to hurt him, but anxiety, work, baby fussy, AAAAAAAAAAARGH
Old 01-09-2007, 11:05 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Sober and Free

Jules, your very pretty! Love the pic of your boy
Old 01-09-2007, 11:22 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Misty, try making a plan. Offer him some quality time doing the activity of his choice if he gives you time to work. Let him go first, and then let him know when you are finished work there will be more quality time where that came from. Even at 9 & 11 my girls will not let me alone if the are feeling starved for attention
Old 01-09-2007, 11:28 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Jules, I wouldn't worry about it then, you are right, that was then as this is now. I don't know how you do it, it would kill me to hand my kids over to someone so irresponsible.

Nice Pics!
Old 01-09-2007, 11:31 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Wow.. Great pics everyone. The forum once again took on a life of its own. I will comment more on the pics later when I go back and look at them.

I feel REAL ****** RIGHT NOW.. Just feeling squirly and on edge. My 3 year old wouldn't go up the stairs by himself. We have this argument everyday so I slapped him once on the bum. It was a pretty hard slap. I feel like a horrible mom.. I am getting really sick of all this house building and searching stuff. It is fun but I find it very stressful.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:33 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Tam,
So sorry your feeling like crap. Is there something specific that is bothering you??? Are you feeling angry, helpless?? As for the pills, I don't know. I sometimes feel like doing the same thing and sometimes take gravol to relax me. All were doing is replacing one thing for another. Try and figure out what is really bugging you. (HUGS)
Old 01-09-2007, 11:35 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Searching for moments of peace

Pretty, pretty Jules. Thanks for the pic!

Misti, the best thing I found for constipation (we went through this 3 weeks back) is flaxseed meal or oil. The ground meal is cheaper. I can always find it in the health food section at the grocery. Owise, prunes, peaches, pears, prune juice are best along with making sure he's getting enough fluid (the water in his formula should be sufficient). It takes a couple days to clear up (or out ).

IMO, and you can all flame me, but it is just IMO, letting a baby cry himself to sleep is a very hard lesson for an infant. A cry is the only way they can communicate to us something is wrong. If we ignore it, we reinforce that their needs will not be met. Misti, I think you are a superstar for taking care of those 4 kids the way you do! The little guy can probably pick up on the moments when you're tense. I'd just try some of the rocking, bouncing suggestions. And lots of soft shhh's in his ear to block out a bit of the playful sounds in the background.

Ok, you can all blast me on my no cry policy. Especially since, if I'm not wrong, I have less parenting experience than anyone else here! LOL

Love you all...