Notices

Class of March 2024 Support Thread Part 2

Old 03-29-2024, 01:45 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  

I got bloods today and didn't hear anything so I guess my sodium is fine. I had drank a good bit of water so slight miracle. I can't afford to be sectioned right now.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:57 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  
RAL

Oh freedom you've not dodged a bullet or hadsa miracle or got away with it. The only relief you should feel.now is that you're not dead and use this as an opportunity to start again.

But will you ?
Old 03-29-2024, 02:40 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Day 145 is over. Good night everyone 💕
Old 03-29-2024, 03:35 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats Runner and FiveTries, Lixie, Alessandra and BassetDog - great numbers!

welcome back CH - I hope you dont mind my obversation that you were pretty much convinced that lack of sleep would dog you this trip...and if your only tool is a bottle, the results tend to be pre-ordained?

This is not a failure...just a restart - work smarter not harder as they say.
Think about how you might have handled things differently and put a better plan in place.

You retain all the good things you gained during your sober time. This can be just a blip.
You've got this

D
Old 03-29-2024, 04:01 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RAL View Post
Oh freedom you've not dodged a bullet or hadsa miracle or got away with it. The only relief you should feel.now is that you're not dead and use this as an opportunity to start again.

But will you ?
Got to agree with RAL here, Freedom.

It’s not about manipulating your bloods so as to produce ‘good’ results. This up and down stuff with the sodium might give good reults on paper. But only on paper. What’s is doing to your heart?

I think you should get honest with mental health providers, your new counsellor, to develop strategies to pull your all time water consumption into the ever normal.

My daughter drinks more water than me/other people, but has brought it back to being consistently acceptable. I know we’re all different Freedom, but I also know it’s possible.

Must admit my daughter has really clear skin tho. But her intake no longer goes beyond the bounds.

You seem to always avoid the real questions Freedom. Sobriety because you want it, not because you want to get the law off your back.

Won’t work in the long term Freedom.

Old 03-29-2024, 04:21 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Hey everyone…been a few days since I’ve posted, but I’m still on the wagon…day 16! Feeling good, but recognizing that this weekend might present some temptations. At a yearly event that I got pretty wasted at last year, although the year before I stayed completely sober, so that’s not unprecedented for me. I’m feeling pretty good going into it because usually when I make up my mind to stay sober for a particular event I am able to follow through. When I fall off the wagon it tends to be more of a snap decision on a random day for which I haven’t committed to stay sober. Well, that’s why I thought it would be a good idea to come post here today of my commitment to stay sober through this weekend. I think knowing that I’ve stated it publicly, even if on a somewhat anonymous forum, will help with my resolve.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:56 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post Steely - you nailed it.

Hi NAMXAS

I was pretty cautious in my first year. I missed a few events and parties, but I still consider that a good investment in my continued recovery.

If you’re feeling vulnerable this weekend, why not stay at home and don’t go out at all?
Stay safe you know?

Your AV will put out the line that you need to live your life…but no ones saying you can never go out again

Your call of course but if you do decide to go at least make a plan. Think of possible situations you might find yourself in and ways where you can stay securely sober.

D
Old 03-29-2024, 08:14 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 16 days NAMXAS.

I know what you mean with those spur of the moment snap decisions to go screw ourselves up again …..

Good idea to put it out there/here to help with your resolve. We’ve all been there NAMXAS …. here for you.

Keep that “feeling good” sober feeling rolling NAMXAS. It’s precious. Too precious to sacrifice for anything.

Old 03-29-2024, 08:52 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Got to agree with RAL here, Freedom.

It’s not about manipulating your bloods so as to produce ‘good’ results. This up and down stuff with the sodium might give good reults on paper. But only on paper. What’s is doing to your heart?

I think you should get honest with mental health providers, your new counsellor, to develop strategies to pull your all time water consumption into the ever normal.

My daughter drinks more water than me/other people, but has brought it back to being consistently acceptable. I know we’re all different Freedom, but I also know it’s possible.

Must admit my daughter has really clear skin tho. But her intake no longer goes beyond the bounds.

You seem to always avoid the real questions Freedom. Sobriety because you want it, not because you want to get the law off your back.

Won’t work in the long term Freedom.
Thanks Steely. Did your daughter just stop one day or what happened?
Old 03-29-2024, 08:58 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Good morning. Day 2. Looking forward to a (slow!) jog when the sun comes up later. Probably just a 500m warm up walk and a 1.5km jog My knee had been sore since spending a bender a few weeks back pacing, but it seems to be ok now. Fingers crossed
Old 03-29-2024, 09:19 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  

I think the Naltrexone is kind of doing something with the water thing.. It's been a while since I had a crazy polydipsia day where my sodium probably went well below 120. Some of the joy of it is kind of gone.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:22 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

My daughter was always at the hospital having her sodium levels tested Freedom. It was a bloody nightmare. Hospital all the time.

She became frightened as to what this actually meant after being cautioned by doctors, and started limiting her intake.

As before, she still drinks more water than me/others. But …

It’s all good now. She just made a decision Freedom, which both surprised, and delightened me.

Old 03-29-2024, 09:25 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 2.

You deserve sobriety Freedom.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:25 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

I got frightened by the seizures in 2020 and stopped. But then when I deliberately tried to provoke a seizure in the psych ward in 2023 and the epilim prevented it, I was off to the races again. I know all the other risks, heart attacks, strokes, comas etc but they seem kind of abstract to me.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:27 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

I would say there's generally about three or four lads in the psych ward out of 24 beds who drink a lot of fluid but I guess their sodium is fine. I think you can drink as much as your kidneys can excrete before you lower your sodium, so 800-1000ml an hour. I think I mostly stay below this lately.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:40 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

I understand that Freedom. All seems abstract.

Did you try to provoke seizure by drinking copious water Freedom?

I see so much self destruct in you Freedom. I know I had a big dose of it too. Many here, the same.

What I’ve found is that as my sobriety built, and the decision made to give sobriety a real chance these feelings to obliterate myself began to dissipate. I began to like myself again. I began to appreciate, and actually like/love being sober. Wanted to live this crazy life …. see how it panned out sober. At least I’d be conscious. Don’t want to miss any of it, even the worst.

I wanted consciousness more than anything.

Life for me is certainly not a bowl of cherries Freedom. But it beats the crock of shite I had accustomed myself to any day of the week.

Old 03-29-2024, 09:41 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

I didn't have to go for bloods yesterday. They weren't going to rock up at my house and force blood out of me. I think a part of me thought my sodium would be bad and thought **** it, life is easier in the psych ward? I'm glad my sodium was fine. Life may be simpler in the psych ward but it's not real life. I need to be able to cope on the outside.

Another part of me wanted to get sectioned to avoid a confrontation with my father, but we talked and he's fine with me. I guess I at least paid him rent before drinking this time and it was just a one day thing.

Old 03-29-2024, 09:44 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
I understand that Freedom. All seems abstract.

Did you try to provoke seizure by drinking copious water Freedom?

I see so much self destruct in you Freedom. I know I had a big dose of it too. Many here, the same.

What I’ve found is that as my sobriety built, and the decision made to give sobriety a real chance these feelings to obliterate myself began to dissipate. I began to like myself again. I began to appreciate, and actually like/love being sober. Wanted to live this crazy life …. see how it panned out sober. At least I’d be conscious. Don’t want to miss any of it, even the worst.

I wanted consciousness more than anything.

Life for me is certainly not a bowl of cherries Freedom. But it beats the crock of shite I had accustomed myself to any day of the week.
I just deliberately tried to provoke a seizure by drinking water once, in the psych ward. It was after my status was changed from voluntary to involuntary. Self harming is a common reaction to being sectioned supposedly.

Excessive water drinking is slightly miserable. You end up shivering and hugging radiators, waking up to pee ten times a night. I think the non stop fluid intake compulsion has mostly left me, I'm not drinking 2L then going for more and soon as my stomach emptied.
​​​​​
Old 03-29-2024, 09:49 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  

The clocks go forward tonight. Not great for us early birds as the mornings will be a bit darker, but in a couple of months it'll be light at 5am which I'm looking forward to. Looking forward to summer this year. Kind of hoping for another heatwave in Ireland, bit an enjoyable heatwave in Ireland probably means a burning hellscape in other parts of Europe,, so I'm kind of hoping for a mild summer for southern France, Spain etc's sake.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:53 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Should have gone to NA last night. I set it up for money to be transferred from my 7 day notice savings account on Tuesday, so I'll have it before the next meeting. Drugs are a gateway to alcohol. I guess I can talk about that at AA. It's not really off topic since I don't think I'd have drank if I didn't get high on Wednesday so it's not off topic.