Notices

180 Day Challenge Part 5

Old 06-08-2022, 04:14 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Gorgeous pics, advbike. Paradise
Old 06-08-2022, 04:52 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Good morning to all..

Just located my reading glasses that have been misplaced with all the chaos, so a little easier to read. We are in the new rental house, still disorganized but getting better. I’m hearing lots of activity from the area of the kitchen, haha.. my GF is a compulsive cleaner.. Drinking my second cup of coffee, listening to birds and roosters.. the national sound of the rural Philippines.. We are in a city that is medium sized, and has a well known university, so also lots of cafes and restaurants, as well as dive resorts to the south. Our new place is out of the city and up a bit, so cooler, but the humidity is still oppressive if you're not used to it. So different from my dry home desert environment.

Zura, I reread your Beader’s log - so funny! And perfectly captures the essence of how we get all excited and compulsive about new projects.. until reality sets in. I have always been this way, with almost everything I do.. It’s probably obvious, lol So I am glad you have the garden project to return to - we need these things to ground us. It probably has a lot to do with how I ended up in this relationship here actually, but despite that, it has opened my life up in ways that no amount of counseling or reading of self help guides ever could.

I am much happier when I’m here, not just for the obvious reasons but mainly because it is an involved life. Hard work, difficult climate, bugs, frustrations, etc. But so much more rewarding at the end of the day. Gets us out of our heads. I have an active ego, but no AV here.. and have never drank here. They know I'm an alcoholic because i told her when we first met years ago. She wondered why I didn't drink like most of the other expats, lol. And is very happy about it. I even explained it to her son. He is a teen, and we have a really good relationship.

Free, great that your son got to enjoy the whale sharks, that is the area we are near, in between where we are living and where we are building, and not far from the channel where we cross from one island to the other on the ferry.

Well, need to get to work. Lots to do today - need to hook up the stove and washing machine, and continue organizing things. Maybe start the PC build.. Life is good.

Best to all.

Old 06-08-2022, 05:36 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

That all sounds so wonderful advbike, so glad for you. Best wishes with today's projects ☺️
Old 06-09-2022, 03:34 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  

The view is stunning, Advbike. WOW! Im so happy for you. I cant wait to hear about all of the NEW and EXCITING things you are going to do. Hearing that you are happy really has made my morning. Its been a long time coming. Good for you, my friend.
Old 06-09-2022, 05:03 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Thanks Free, yes it is paradise, in that it is so unspoiled and undeveloped. It is where my woman grew up, in the province. Our house will be small and unpretentious, but those are the views.

Thanks Zura. Yesterday we went to a private nature preserve for breakfast and a walk through their gorgeous old growth trees with high forest canopy, and natural pools, and the sound of the cicadas and birds. Then I spent the afternoon building a PC with her son. I am blessed to have such a good relationship with him.

Mizz, I really appreciate that. I am consciously working on taking my ego out of everything and cultivating a sense of appreciation and wonder, and in fact I am amazed at my good fortune. So far so good, haha.

Today we are off to buy a little Japanese truck. They are called “keitora”” which means light truck, in Japan. They are tiny, but rugged, and are not used long before being salvaged and exported elsewhere. Here in the Philippines there are shops that refit them. I have been thinking about buying one for use on our project for some time, and have looked at a few but nothing grabbed me until the other day when we were driving along a main road toward our property, and I saw one for sale out of the corner of my eye. Bright blue! (most are yellow, red or an obnoxious bright green). Whoa… I pulled off and we walked back. It is so cool. Even has AC, and a 5-speed, which most don't. So my woman called and we arrived at a price.. so off we go to meet at the ferry pier on the southern tip of Cebu island.

Best to all..

Old 06-09-2022, 11:43 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Sounds like an idyllic day advbike, I'm drooling over the nature preserve especially. It is wonderful you have a good relationship with your lady's son, that's very precious. And what a cool little truck!!

Still living the quiet simple life here. Been cutting down some of the plants that die off in winter, today was bean and tarragon lol. Comedy show, bath and bed time now ☺️
Old 06-10-2022, 08:35 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

How very happy you sound advbike, it is truly wonderful to read and I love the little 'keitora' you are buying!
Zura you and I living opposite ends of the seasons!. Here I am watering my runner beans, tomato's, lettuce and squashes as the June sun begins to warm up. The lavender has flowered and my roses are looking very pretty, summer is here! Hooray.
I went to a concert last night in an ancient medieval building which was very beautiful, just a singe male voice and an accompanist on a piano performing songs from the Renaissance and reading poetry, it was all very magical.
Later, walking home through the city with my husband I felt blessed for the calmness that now quite often fills my life.
Best Wishes to all.
Old 06-10-2022, 10:01 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

DF your garden sounds like it's going well!! Awww roses, my mum was crazy about roses, my son adored her and even though she died when he was very young he still remembers her and he loves roses too. He's a very manly, scruffy young man but whenever he needs a new doona cover he picks one with roses, even if it's black and white lol. Bonus we are in opposite veggie seasons, i can live vicariously through you this winter (here) 😜 pics??🤣🤤😝 ​​​​​

Your musical event sounds absolutely magical!! What a special event. Maybe I need to move to Britain *sigh. That should be far enough away.

Still having issues with family members and ofcourse they are getting worse and I have zero support network. I'm going to have too reassert my boundaries AGAIN. It's getting overbearing and it's just so disrespectful.
Old 06-10-2022, 04:03 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Zura,I bought a humidifier to which I add Pure rose essential oil and wow the room smells like the most beautiful peachy summer roses - highly recommended for when you just want to feel some bliss!
Sorry to hear you have continued problems with some family members, how horrible for you. I hope they do not live too near you.
Son had fractured his wrist but is still going to a friends for a sleep over tomorrow, Daughter, Husband, Cat and I are having a 'Stranger Things' evening with popcorn, Cherry Lucozade and dark chocolate for me.
Best Wishes to all, near and far.
Old 06-10-2022, 06:36 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Well for various reasons related to the salvage and rebuild process, non-matching serial numbers and a likely month or more delay to clear registration and be able to insure /use the vehicle, I was forced to back out of the deal. I felt really bad since some of it was my misunderstanding, and they drove a long way, although my GF agreed they could have been more helpful and clear about things. Especially when I was crawling around in the dirt under the vehicle. And waiting two hours for them to get there after we were early.

I called my long time insurance agent and her husband, who is an attorney, explained how it should have been done properly, and even spoke directly to the seller who is a re-builder. Nonetheless my ego got in the way and I did not handle it well with him, although I did apologize for backing out and paid him for his time and expenses. Everyone was unhappy, the opposite of a win-win situation. I felt bad and it was a long day with traffic getting back. Instead of beer(s) to take the edge off however, we went to a restaurant and had a late lunch with a pitcher of "detoxify" fruit tea. I needed that as my attitude was not good.

Today is another day.

Dusty, it sounds like you are living an idyllic life there and part of that is your wonderful outlook on things of course. Great job!

Zura, so sorry about your ongoing situation. You seem really emotionally strong however, and I know you can handle it.

I will send a pic of the nature preserve when I have a moment to upload, busy again. So much to do.

Best to all.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:06 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Hope your son's wrist holds up at the sleepover DF. Family Stranger Things binge sounds magnificent!!

Advbike, that is disappointing that the truck didn't work out. I commend you for trying to hold your ego in check but I know myself when emotions all round are frazzled it's very hard, the miscommunication wouldn't have helped either. It sounds like you dealt with it quite generously in the end in my opinion!

Thanks all re family, it's getting to be a problem but trying to see it as an opportunity to grow, if reluctantly. I reasserted my boundaries quite forcefully but not rudely, although I think when we do that it comes off as rude. But I'm done with dysfunction, and it's well past time the cycle ended. I deserve better and I don't treat people this way, from this point forward if people want me in their life they need too grow up and behave like adults.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:25 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

PS to DF - I've been contemplating a humidifier as I have allergies and also thought it might help put moisture back in the air with the heat running in winter, not sure if it works for that also? I do have the old fashioned candle oil diffuser for "aromatherapy" and haven't bothered upgrading. Perhaps I should take some time to relax with my lavender oil going today. I didn't wake up till mid morning as I found the messages from family during a middle of the night wake-up and had trouble sleeping. I've not checked to see if there's any backlash yet, perhaps I should rip the band-aid off and get it over with 😂 Also been feeling unwell so best to take a "health" day perhaps.

DF in answer to your question, the really troublesome members live close but leave me alone as I don't engage with them and also changed my phone number. The sort of ok one lives far away but messages regularly and are coming to stay here to sort the other stuff out. I've made it clear if the disrespect continues they'll have to find other accommodation and if it starts when they're here they will have to leave also. Hopefully that will be enough to keep things civil but it's going to be a very uncomfortable time. Im trying to support in ways that don't get me involved but if they're going to be passive aggressive over my choices or are bringing the drama into my house by proxy I'll have no choice but too fully disengage.
Old 06-11-2022, 04:49 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Advbike- Your adventure trying to procure a vehicle makes me smile. I know you were frustrated. Its understandable. That being said, you are living new adventures. A vehicle will be found. It just might take a bit more time. I hope the detox tea cleansed you of your mood

Old 06-11-2022, 11:25 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Good morning all 🌞

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Very quiet, easy going one here, it seems I have a cold or such so hibernating at home (that's not unusual even when well 😂 ). Managed to get a little bit more done outside and hope to do the same today. Living life in the fast lane 😜

Best wishes to all ❤️
Old 06-11-2022, 03:53 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

..the best laid plans went wrong as son awoke with high temperature, sore throat, feeling sick. He is not having a good week..
I used one of my humidifiers ( I have 4 I love them so much) with lavender oil and a cold damp cloth on his forehead, honey lemon and ginger and eventually his fever came down. Managed to do a little to the garden, cook some lentil dahl , but sadly no decadent 'Stranger Things', chocolate, cherryaid evening, maybe another weekend.

Zura, my daughter also has many allergies, the humidifiers do seem to help her, I use lavender and rose geranium.

Tomorrow my dear mother and stepfather come over for coffee, and also to collect her heads which I have been looking after, now are packed in boxes. 'Don't touch those boxes they are Nana's heads' I said today!
One is the Dali Lama the other is Nelson Mandela...I shall miss them!
Old 06-11-2022, 04:11 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Bon voyage Nana's heads 😝 hope you have a lovely visit DF
Old 06-12-2022, 11:37 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Good morning all 🌞

Hope everyone is busy living their best lives this weekend, big hugs for anyone struggling ❤️
Old 06-12-2022, 06:00 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Wow, Dusty, what great heads to have in a home. Figures of character. Sorry about your son's illness, glad the fever broke.

I use a humidifier in the dry winter months in Arizona, otherwise one's skin gets really dry as humidity is very low, and heating makes it worse. I would be cautious with four of them however, as molds can build up, especially in summer months or if your climate is a bit humid to begin with.

I found another little truck yesterday that cost me a bit more but the owner handles the paperwork and registration differently so all numbers match properly and I can legally drive and insure it right away. Of course it cost a bit more but that is the correct way to do it, plus he is another BMW motorcycle rider, so we got along well, haha. It is so much fun to drive around in this little thing, we are laughing as we bounce along and I run it through the gears.. Off to buy another dining table with it today as our big one is in storage on the other island. And some technical issues have been encountered with the wireless adapter on my Linux build on the PC for her son, so we have to resolve that. Working with me, he is learning to diagnose problems, that's for sure, haha. He wants to learn to code, so when he suggested maybe we should just load Windows I told him it's is for wimps, lol. Uh, but it always works?.. hahaha..

Wishing everyone a great week.

Old 06-12-2022, 06:41 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Glad you found a replacement truck, although at a bit more cost it sounds like an easier situation, very cool! Sounds like a fun project to do with the young fella ☺️ and it's great you met someone with similar interests, that always rewarding.

Son is now also sick and will have to miss out on driving lessons and a training course he is doing this week. No problems the driving lessons are easy to catch up on. The training course will have to be made up next semester as this week's particular unit is only run on the one day, but he will still be able to complete the remaining units. I shook my lurgy off fairly easy, and although I'm not 100% I've had far worse in the past and I'm sure he will be fine next week to resume activities. He's always had a good immune system so I'm confident for him.

Having said Ive shaken my lurgy ive prepped the ground, and constructed a garden bed already this morning, and feeling a bit blah so I'll have too slow down. Plenty of the day left to take my time filling with soil and mulching, it's just a lil one, then another one to do tomorrow. Feels great to get this project done it's been lingering.
Old 06-13-2022, 05:09 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Zura- Whats a lurgy?
Dusty- Heads in a box? Are these little statues?
Advbike- That little truck is AWESOME! Im glad it worked out?