Notices

Class of December 2021 Part 2

Old 12-24-2021, 02:42 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Good morning!

RAL - good luck with your preps.

5uper - glad you are feeling better! It’s good you are seeing the kids tomorrow! I share them with my ex too, but recently have restored to doing a “fakemas” weekend the week before, they love it.

Heading to my girlfriend s parents here, should be a fun sober one (wonder what they ll say when they see me on water!)

Happy xmas eve to all!

Old 12-24-2021, 03:02 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

happy early morning and x-mas eve to all.

there are several wonderful things about having clear mind and feeling better physically.
Old 12-24-2021, 03:40 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Day 30 drawing to a close and an hour and a half away from Christmas here.

Not sure what to think about today, Spent some time with my neighbors, they were drinking while I had lemon squash lol, worked in my veggie garden and on my solar power setup.

Then I got a message from a lass I was seeing, she was the reason for my day 1 this time around, actually she was responsible for 3 day 1's. I knew I'd ruin things with her if I didn't stop drinking. I get needy and annoying and she got over it and kicked me to the curb just as I expected she would. That was 30 days ago. No contact whatsoever until she messaged me today to say merry christmas. Not going to read anything into that but put me in an unsteady mood.

I'm sober and going to bed and when I wake up it will be christmas with my sons :-)

Have a great day everyone, wishing you all my best.

D
Old 12-24-2021, 04:45 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Hey Dan ~ Happy Christmas to you and all of the Aussies!! ❤️💚
Old 12-24-2021, 05:16 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  

5uper, Hope you have a lovely day with your family tomorrow.
Tonight I fly back to see my husband. I know I have mentioned this before so sorry for the repeat..It will be so nice to see him as we have not seen each other in person in close to 4 weeks. I am staying with my MIL so being the person I am I have prepared several meals for her so she does not have to worry about cooking. She usually goes to visit my FIL daily at the NH and gets home around dinner. Have a great day everyone.
Old 12-24-2021, 05:22 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Excited for you dear Alpine ~ I hope you get a wonderful break and have a lovely Christmas! ❤️💚
Old 12-24-2021, 06:27 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Good morning all!! (Canada time anyway)

Things are going well here. Had my son's Bday yesterday, now we're on the Christmas stretch. Hope everyone has a great couple of days.

Welcome 5upersonic and welcome back Mr P (I like that name)

Congratulations to everyone in being awesome over the holidays.

Had a bit of a challenge yesterday evening. My wife went out to her friends house to have a girls night with copious amounts of wine etc. Usually this would put me into boozing mode and I'd be passed out drunk by 11:30 or so (on the couch etc). Had a little fight with my AV but I managed to persevere and stayed sober. Feeling great this morning and looking forward to Christmas Eve.

I am also wondering what folks think of near beer? Have my in-laws coming over for a bonfire and apps this evening and was thinking maybe I could grab some for around the fire.
Old 12-24-2021, 06:34 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Athens, I couldn’t agree more there are truly so many remarkable things to be grateful for with a clear mind.

Dan, I like your attitude of not reading too much into her text. It’s a nice sentiment but it doesn’t seem like she has the best influence on your sober goal.

Alpine, enjoy seeing your husband! Also that’s so kind and thoughtful of you to prepare dishes for your MIL.

My husband and I plan on having a nice omelette for breakfast, going for a hike with our dog, and dinner with the in laws.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 12-24-2021, 06:50 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Morning all,

I hope everyone is feeling good and staying strong.

I have a lot of non-Xmas stuff going on right now so if I may unload...
  • Just over two weeks ago my son (17) asked if his gf (16) could come and stay for a while she was being bullied at school and suffered an abusive family life (details of which are utterly awful and I won't go into). Suddenly we are looking to foster...
  • About ten days ago I thought my wallet was a bit short of cash but couldn't be sure so I started keeping careful track.
  • Last night $60 disappeared and I got everyone together and laid it out and asked for someone to own up.
  • Everyone denied it. My son's gf looked utterly bewildered and upset.
  • My son disappeared upstairs and returned with the money and said he found it in his little sister's bedroom (she was already asleep).
  • I suggested it was time for us to watch the video of the motion sensing webcam I had setup in the office and he came clean along with some pathetic excuses.
I am stunned, more that he tried to pin it on his little sister than that he took it in the first place.

I am also more resolute than ever that this Christmas will be dry, this will not tempt me and I will add this to the list of stuff to deal with...
Old 12-24-2021, 06:54 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Congrats on Day 30 Dan and all other milestones today. Starting the food prep for the next couple days. Beef tenderloin is salted and in the fridge for tomorrow. Bread is rising. Heading to my folks this afternoon. We’re bringing a ham dinner for them and my brother and his family. It’s so nice to be doing all this sober. I love it.

MPR - on the near beer. I’m on a Facebook group for the book “Alcohol Explained” and many of them do drink AF beer. Apparently there is a AF Heineken that is good. I’ve never looked for it. I’m a little afraid to go there yet and I really didn’t like beer that much anyway anymore. It didn’t do the job fast

I’m sorry you have to deal with that RaggedyMan. Not fun anytime but the holidays even more so.

Have a great day friends.
Old 12-24-2021, 07:07 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

I know I am not a fan dear MPR.... my understanding is that all of these NA beers still have minute amounts of alcohol. It is a slippery slope....plus the mental/emotional response....it is easy to find yourself very quickly reaching for a full beer from the cooler. s ❤️💚
Old 12-24-2021, 07:10 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Sorry, started that last post like an hour ago....

Oh my gosh RaggedyMan.....first of all kudos to you for handling that so so well!!!
And yes, I am sure you are sad and disappointed. I know (very ashamedly) what parents go through in this situation....

I wonder what he needed the money for. I think that would be my next conversation.
Sending you love. ❤️💚
Old 12-24-2021, 07:14 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Hope you have a wonderful time at your folks Scott...and the food sounds fantastic. You are very cheffy. ❤️💚

(I looked up the Heineken 0.0....appparently it really is 0% abv, so that is good).
Old 12-24-2021, 07:33 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Venuscat - thanks... So much going on that I'm just at the "Oh, well" state...

Scott - good to see the food prep is going well and you are getting through it with flying colour. I'm all prepped and ready for tomorrow... Off to clean the bombsite of a kitchen now... although quite the state I will get it in tomorrow...
Old 12-24-2021, 07:35 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Hope you have a wonderful time at your folks Scott...and the food sounds fantastic. You are very cheffy. ❤️💚

(I looked up the Heineken 0.0....appparently it really is 0% abv, so that is good).
The bud one is really 0% but I too find it too much of a trigger...
Old 12-24-2021, 07:46 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  

I would find any of them a trigger. And it is about not wanting to 'pretend' that I am drinking beer....I am not sure that would be good for me at all. Even with some years under my belt. Too many associations.

For me, being sober is a way of life as much as not drinking, so I was happy to incorporate new drinks into my life that look nothing like alcohol.
Old 12-24-2021, 08:13 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Glad everyone has nice Christmas plans!

I had 0% beer a few times, but must say I prefer one of these (both taste and sobriety wise):

Non alcoholic Ginger beer (even better with a little bitter lemon in)
Soda water + ice + lime
Soda water + mint + ice
Soda water + cucumber + ice

have fun everyone!

Mr P
Old 12-24-2021, 08:40 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Day 41 here, Good morning and Merry Christmas, friends!
Old 12-24-2021, 09:32 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Mr. P soda water is my go to as well. I’ll have to try mint and cucumber. It’s usually lots of lime juice. Congrats on 41 days Calm.
Old 12-24-2021, 11:18 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  

On the non alcoholic products conversation, I tried non-alcoholic wine as wine was my drink of choice and that was a huge trigger for me and ultimately decided that would not be a good tool for me to use to stay sober. To each their own though what didn’t work for me can definitely work for someone else. I thought I’d share my experience.

I drink a certified non-alcoholic, zero-sugar kombucha called called humm zero at some parties. They’re 3 bucks a pop though so my go-to-drink of choice is any flavored la croix (except the lemon) with a slice of lime and ice. I’ll drink around 4-6 at a party and I joke with my husband that I’m hydrated as f***..jokes aside tho I really do stay hydrated lol