Notices

Class of August 2021 Support Thread Part 5

Old 01-10-2022, 03:36 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Hi, everyone-
Glad to hear the new job is going well, Bodhi. I am downloading We Are The Luckiest to read later on tonight- thanks for that. I need a new book in my repertoire, I've read A Drinking Life one million times, DRY another million times and the Pete Hamill book (brain fart, can't remember the title) and several others over and over as well. I've been watching YouTube docs about the alcohol crisis in the UK and can I say that drinking culture is now making me angry? I'm going to have to figure it out- I have lots of friends who drink and I am starting to feel a little like, Um, I'll be here for you in a few years when you are drowning... I know this isn't likely but is it possible I'm going to be one of those judgmental sober people? Today I grabbed a quick lunch at a sushi place and a rather young guy came and sat next to me and downed 2 large mixed drinks (not the same kind) and the bartender said, "You like to drink!" and I cringed inside. If someone had said that to me, I would have shriveled up inside and slunk away. I'm not sure how this guy took it, but he did quietly say, "Yea, I do like to drink, but your food is good, too." But he left without eating. He was there and gone in less than 15 min. I felt sorry for him, mostly because I feel like I knew what was in his head, but I was probably projecting. I drank my seltzer and ate my spicy girl roll and left but I'm still thinking about that guy, drinking at 1:30 in the afternoon and getting back in his work truck. There but for the grace of God....

Well, there is another ramble by me. I never know what's going to come out when I stop by our class.

Free- glad to hear you are taking care of you- and I love seeing you on the threads, makes me feel like I'm out there with a friend!

LHW- Have a good trip- I don't know where you are on the east coast, but I'm in that freezing weather tomorrow, too! Go south and stay warm. Keep up the dry January, too, good for you, and now Mr. LHW seems to be joining you, that has to be a help.

Hope kittencat, katlin, Numblady and SS are doing well.

Old 01-10-2022, 04:09 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

I hear you Viking: those experiences affect me in the same way.
And that expression always sends chills up my spine....there but for the grace of God go I......never have there been truer words. ❤️
Old 01-12-2022, 12:06 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

This is the 2nd or 3rd time that someone has recommended "We are the Luckiest" so I am definitely going to download it and read it on the road. Mr. LHW and I take turns driving in 2-3 hour shifts. Sometimes I can read, sometimes it makes me nauseaus so we will see what happens. In any event, it will be something to read at night or I am feeling "wobbly" as they say.

Viking - we are in the Philadelphia area and it is just downright too cold here. I can't wait to get to the warmth down in Florida. Mr. LHW decided he needed to wash the car this afternoon once the temp got to 40 degrees! Why??? Just a rhetorical question and with all due respect to the men on this site, all I can say is "it must be a guy thing". LOL!

I'll try to post on the drive down, but if not, know I am reading and will update everyone once we get to our rental later this weekend and I can get the laptop set up.

LHW
Old 01-12-2022, 04:18 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

I'm near Boston, LHW. This cold is sucking the life out of me.... And I wanted to wash my poor, salty car today! It's important to get the salt off, but I wouldn't do it myself in 40 degrees!!
Old 01-12-2022, 06:34 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Hey all,

The winter weather is wearing me down as well. I’m in the Philadelphia suburbs too LHW!

I went to a friends house today and I was offered wine or beer. I said no thanks and I got a Gatorade. The friend poured me a glass of wine and handed it to me and I waved it away and said no I’m good. Success!!! I felt a tad awkward but also I feel weird because I’m assuming other people think I’m weird that I don’t drink or have a problem. I can’t read people’s minds! They are probably not thinking about me much at all!

Old 01-12-2022, 06:46 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Yay Bodhi! 🎉🎊🪅🎏🪄❤️🤓

Thats flexing and strengthening those muscles. I had a TERRIBLE craving yesterday, white knuckled it. Got MRI results, boy, that stressed me out. But the drink wouldn’t have even touched it, probably make it worse. I knew I was lying to myself…..just one, really?!?!? OMG. NEVER HAPPEN.

Ok, love you all, but you are wimps……started skiing at 14F, that’s at the BASE of the mountain where it’s warmer…..at top it was below zero, then add wind chill.🥶🥶🥶🥶😱

Got up to balmy 30 at base, which is warm in January for here.

My view at a warm up the other day, when it was REALLY cold……..I was drinking chai tea. Yummy!

This one was taken on a warmer day, about 10 degrees, I could pull out my phone for a second, and snap this at the top of a three mile run, 2400 vertical feet. So fun!
Old 01-12-2022, 08:03 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats guys - you're doing this

D
Old 01-13-2022, 04:17 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Lol free! I have definitely been making a bigger deal out of the cold than it really is. It’s been just around 30 degrees mostly, but its taking me longer than usual to get used to it. I blame the trip to the Bahamas although I was pretty sick there and even though it was in the 80s I still found myself pretty chilly. Anyways I guess I’ll have to get used to the snow because I’m taking my first ski lesson tomorrow. I’m excited and nervous. I went snowboarding about 14-15 years ago and I got the hang of it but that’s was a rough day I have to say. Wish me luck!

I’m still very much considering reporting the family member who abused me. That’s a decision that’s weighing heavily on me. At the end of the day the abuse was largely ignored and the abuser wasn't properly held accountable. No treatment for why he abused no root cause analysis just a harsh punishment that was quick and once that was over it was treated like none of it ever happened. And I just shrunk and contorted myself to make everyone else comfortable. It really hit me in a meeting with the fertility doctor the other day how prevalent this abuse is to me in my current life. I’m extremely hyper vigilant about protecting myself. We talked about IVF and the timeline and I immediately thought about the months the child would be born overlap with my abusers birthday and his son’s birthday. It’s time I make myself comfortable.
Old 01-13-2022, 05:56 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Bodhi, have fun at your lesson. The right equipment makes all the difference. You need to be WARM!

Prayers about the abuse situation, I struggled for so many years. I’m reading The Body Keeps the Score, it’s very good, scientifically written and the author is a little too much about his accomplishments, but if you skip to part five, how do we heal, it’s excellent. Too often we look to open other doors to heal, when actually, the healing comes from within (just me personal opinion).

Activities that take our complete focus, like learning how to ski, put us in the ‘NOW’. I wonder if after the day is done, if you were at peace from the trauma while learning to ski. Yoga, Pilates, new hobbies, and other activities that use breathing and a lot of physical concentration can provide relief. I’m also looking into EMDR. (Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing.)

Big hugs to all 🤓❤️

Old 01-13-2022, 02:09 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Free- I would just like to say, I would be happily riding a horse in this weather- but does it have to be so cold when I'm just trying to go to work?? Your pictures are breathtaking, and your skiing sounds so fun- I'm in awe of you. Thanks for sharing! I'm going back to my warm blanket now....
Old 01-14-2022, 03:43 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

My first ski session was a success! I took it slow and stayed on the ski school slopes and it was a good call! Otherwise I think I would’ve got too freaked out and not want to go back. I’m definitely eager to go again and build on the foundation.

Free, I downloaded Body Keeps the Score and listened on audio on the way up to the ski resort. I skipped the beginning and jumped to part 4 where he talks about the effects of trauma on the brain. Very interesting and more importantly helpful. My brain right now feels so good for trying a new experience and I did not wrestle with my past trauma during skiing at all. So glad you mentioned the book because I’ve heard about it but didn’t pick it up so I appreciate the recommendation!

going to a sound bath at my local yoga studio tonight. I forgot I scheduled this months ago so hopefully I don’t fall asleep but I’m looking forward to this experience
Old 01-15-2022, 06:11 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Old 01-15-2022, 06:12 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

You are so welcome,Bodhi 😍
Old 01-16-2022, 06:11 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Bodhi- How was the sound bath??

Free- I heart your pic!
Old 01-16-2022, 02:05 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  
Administrator

new thread time
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-6-a.html (Class of August 2021 Support Thread Part 6)
D