Notices

Class of November 2020 part 1

Old 11-24-2020, 05:48 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  
I believe in miracles :)

Originally Posted by PuckLuck View Post
I just like walking. I've never been a gym guy or much of a runner. I was 145 lbs before I started taking my meds. Now I am 165 lbs. Granted, I have slacked big time on how I used to eat (trying to get back to that), but it's depressing. I know the booze doesn't help either.

I'm almost 40 and I hope my metabolism isn't on a downward spiral. I used to be that skinny ass dude who could eat/drink whatever and never gain weight.
I'm 40, my weight hasn't changed much while boozing, to be honest. The only change was my pregnancy 10 years ago, I went from 112lb to 154, and then I have been around 120 thanks to lifting weights (I'm 5′ 5.7 or 1m67).
Old 11-24-2020, 05:51 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I broke my ankle in July Velvetee and then injured myself again just as I was healing, so I am literally a box of jello right now as well.
Or jelly as we say in Australia.

I have faith in my body....I am going to get my fitness back from walking o/s and on my treadmill. It might take a while though.

s xx
Oh gosh, I feel you. I sprained both ankles twice and cut the left one to the bone :P I can't walk for a long time but I like it as well, especially in the woods. Well, it's not possible anymore (lockdown) so I just train my fingers here on SR
Old 11-24-2020, 05:54 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by Velvetee View Post
I'm 40, my weight hasn't changed much while boozing, to be honest. The only change was my pregnancy 10 years ago, I went from 112lb to 154, and then I have been around 120 thanks to lifting weights (I'm 5′ 5.7 or 1m67).
That's cool you like to lift. I wish I had the drive to do all that.

Most of my lifting the past 15 years has been lifting a bottle to my lips.

Yeah I don't know what the story is, but I know last year when I was boozing it up hard I was like 130 lbs. My pdoc did warn me that the meds I'm on would make me gain weight, but he said it should be a short term thing. I dunno! Frustrating though, that's for sure.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:18 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PuckLuck View Post
That's cool you like to lift. I wish I had the drive to do all that.

Most of my lifting the past 15 years has been lifting a bottle to my lips.

Yeah I don't know what the story is, but I know last year when I was boozing it up hard I was like 130 lbs. My pdoc did warn me that the meds I'm on would make me gain weight, but he said it should be a short term thing. I dunno! Frustrating though, that's for sure.
I don't really like to lift that much but I like the benefits (and especially confidence) that it provides.
Try to count your calories? I don't but I know people who do and it helps. It's usually about your energy expenditure.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:37 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Velveteen - I’m writing this between sets. I love weight lifting. I total quit when I was drinking. I’m back to low weights again but that’s ok. I don’t need an injury. I started a couple days ago. I needed to wait until my blood pressure came down. I use Myfitness Pal for calorie counting and Jefit for lifting.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:19 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scott2295 View Post
Velveteen - I’m writing this between sets. I love weight lifting. I total quit when I was drinking. I’m back to low weights again but that’s ok. I don’t need an injury. I started a couple days ago. I needed to wait until my blood pressure came down. I use Myfitness Pal for calorie counting and Jefit for lifting.
That's great, Scott! I also restart veeeery gradually when I have a 3week+ break. It's actually so much easier and quicker to lose strength + muscles vs building them... especially when you drink (+ I am an ecto).
I don't use anything to track, just craft a 1h full-body workout that I change every 2-3 months. I like compound exercises (except squats because my scar hurts) + add weights progressively every week.
Regarding food, I have a creepy calculator in my head so I know approximately how many calories I consume per day I am so happy I am bulimia free now and can eat properly.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:14 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
I am kind of freaking out. I just looked at my blood test results from a week ago. I have high cholesterol and high levels of liver enzymes...The high level of liver enzymes is what is freaking me out. I can not ever drink again.
Reading throughout this thread a little, this post ^^ by travelbug earlier this month caught my eye.

I was thinking last few days what arguments I could come up with why quitting drinking is a good thing. One big, vital argument is my/your liver. It's such an important organ in your body which you use all the time - awake, asleep - without you even noticing it. And imagine you sc**w it up because of boozin', that would be such a drag later in life, doesn't it? In my country they can refuse giving you a new liver if you need one but destroyed it because of drinking.

Memento mori is one, but I won't because of alcohol.

That's one I take to bed this night, not having a single drink this day 1. I survived. And I hope you guys did too.

Nighty night.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:50 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Hey ChopStick,

I am still freaking out about my Liver Enzymes. I go back to the Dr to have blood work done again the end of Dec. I am hoping that by me being perfect with diet & exercise and watching everything that I consume that it will go back to normal. How stupid was I. The booze was not worth it....
Old 11-24-2020, 03:31 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

A cold and rainy quiet night here. Enjoying listening to the rain. I threw my back out in grand fashion so I'm using a heating pad at the moment. Just relaxing with nothing new to report.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:29 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Hey ChopStick,

I am still freaking out about my Liver Enzymes. I go back to the Dr to have blood work done again the end of Dec. I am hoping that by me being perfect with diet & exercise and watching everything that I consume that it will go back to normal. How stupid was I. The booze was not worth it....
mine were high (like high, some over 10 times normal!) I retested after three months, of those three months only quit completely 24 days and they had come down, not to normal, but quite a bit. They also had me get an ultrasound, no cirrhosis yet, but moderately fatty liver. I'm 41. I want to meet my (hopefully) grandkids. I'm not a doc, but this was my experience.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:55 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Hey ChopStick,

I hope you manage to get them down, mate. And if they do, good for you, but don't fall into that trap of drinking again!
For me, that always is a big trigger. When something improves that was bad during drinking, picking it back up is something my alcoholic voice always tells me to. No no no!

Checking in for day 2. Luckily I have time off, going for a morning walk soon. First, coffee.

Good luck today everyone.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:20 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Get better, guys! A decent diet will help, I am sure.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:15 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Looking forward to Thanksgiving.

I'm going to help my mom cook all day. It's just her, my dad and myself tomorrow.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:41 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Hey Chop,

I will never fall into that trap again. I feel like God has given me a second chance on life. I am going to live each day to its fullest.
I am going to enjoy my family, do things for my neighbors and friends and community. I am Alcohol Free!!!!!!

Livin the Dream!
Old 11-25-2020, 09:27 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Great job on Day 2 Chop!!
Travelbug you said it were living the dream.

Day 17 for me and I actually feel like my body is getting back to normal. I woke up before my alarm went off and was fully rested.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:09 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

s
Old 11-25-2020, 10:28 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Counting days is just too exhausting for me after doing it a million times before, so today is just today. And I'm sober.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:32 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Congrats ChopStick on Day 2 and Bodhi02 on Day 17. Checking in on Day 10 for me. My mood is improving and I’m sleeping good. Looking forward also to a day of cooking tomorrow. My liver numbers became much better during my sober time and I’m hoping I have a good checkup next time I go in to see my doctor. Take care everyone and have a great sober day.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:34 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

No one says anyone has to count days.
Some of us like it, some find it just a huge trigger. s

Hoping you both have a lovely day tomorrow (I am an Aussie and I don't do TG, so I will be around ).

❤️
Old 11-25-2020, 10:45 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
No one says anyone has to count days.
Some of us like it, some find it just a huge trigger. s

Hoping you both have a lovely day tomorrow (I am an Aussie and I don't do TG, so I will be around ).

❤️
I agree VC, I personally do find it to be slightly triggering. Guess I am a bit different than others (always have been ) lol