Notices

One Year And Under Club Part 66

Old 09-02-2020, 06:55 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Morning.

Somehow I missed posting yeaterday. Whoops.

My son, Mrs & I had a meeting with my therapist. Somehow the discussion pretty much all got turned on me. It was a wee bit uncomfortable at times but productive. But some things my son needs to know about my daughter and last years family crisis didn't get addressed.I'm not sure my son will be meeting with us again in that setting so I'm not sure what to do. I had a Fransiscan friar who's favorite saying was "Sonny, when in doubt, don't act." So I guess my best bet is to wait to see Mirko again and ask for advice.

SMART virtual meeting tonight. It's a cool rainy day - perfect to cook stew. I decided not to give up on baking rolls - at least sub buns. So I'll dig out the bread cookbook and look for a different recipe to try. If I have time I might try baking them today too.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:48 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome and the replies. I agree with what has been said. It mirrors my own opinion. I have some family issues (don't we all!) and as I heal myself it seems their wounds are opening. As a result I'm not sharing that info with them, only my husband and daughter.
Congrats on the milestones and goals!
Old 09-02-2020, 04:56 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  
Coz

Hi all

Just a quick check in. Lots to do today - home projects, garden, start packing for a road trip!

Thought Id share where I have got to on my front entrance project (also shared in my May class thread). Just the handrails to go on the top and another coat of oil (and to redo the garden around it):

Take care everyone...
Old 09-02-2020, 04:57 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  
Administrator

Looks great Coz

D
Old 09-02-2020, 05:14 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Great Job, Coz!
Old 09-02-2020, 10:45 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Wonderful job Coz!

Charon sorry you feel the meeting was more one sided than you would have liked, but as you say it was quite productive. It's all food for thought I guess.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:05 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

It’s really lovely Coz
Old 09-03-2020, 04:14 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Good work coz!

Old 09-03-2020, 04:44 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Can you build me one too?
Old 09-03-2020, 06:32 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Coz - absolutely beautiful. You do very fine work.

Lots to do today and I have the house to myself. Quiet & peaceful.

The stew I cooked yesterday came out excellent. I really should take a minute and write it down. My stews are ad libbed. This was good enough for a recipe.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:40 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

The only thing better than fresh stew is 2 day old stew!
Old 09-03-2020, 02:28 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Fish I reckon leftovers always taste better than the original food
I always cook extra so there’s leftovers
Old 09-03-2020, 03:13 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  
Coz

Thanks for the nice words undies! I have to get on to the handrails today and procrastinating a bit (or a lot). The decking and infill bits are all recycled timber from old decking which I have pulled up from around the house, but the posts and handrails are new timber. The handrail timber is really long and heavy and it is going to be a challenge to manoeuvre them to get the angle cuts and lengths just right (and I don't want to have to buy new ones again if I muck up). It is frustrating being so slow in starting tasks when I am not confident - I was hoping to get started yesterday, but found any excuse not to.

A nice stew sounds just wonderful. If you do write down the recipe Charon, please share! I will be doing mostly camp oven cooking while on my road trip, and a stew cooked on the fire would be wonderful.

Take care everyone....
Old 09-04-2020, 02:43 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Have a great weekend Undies
Old 09-04-2020, 06:46 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  
Coz

You too Willow
Old 09-04-2020, 11:11 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Did you get the handrails done Coz? I hope you remembered the old adage 'measure twice, cut once'!

Charon I love to make a good stew, I throw all sorts in and never cou,d make the same one twice!

FL I'm with you there sweetie, I used to make a stew to last a week, just keep throwing fresh stuff in. I also freeze left over gravy to use as the base for my next one. I kid that some of my gravies are years old!

Hi Willow, you have a good one too sweetie.

Be Kind Undies
Old 09-05-2020, 06:57 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Toots - same here. I just sort of ad lib but this one came out so good I wanted to remember what I tossed in. Coz - my recipe is just a list and the order in which I add things. I don't measure. Don't know if this actually counts as a recipe but :

Beef cut across grain into ≈1" cubes. Large heavy pot. Oil (not olive) enough to barely cover bottom. High heat. Brown beef & add nutmeg & paprika as soon as meat hits the pot.

Add beef broth onve browned. Add fresh chopped rosmary, Fresh chopped parsley, a little brown sugar, chopped garlic, bay leaves, mild chili pepper flakes, thyme. (variation - also add browning liquid, liquid smoke, worsterchester)

Add a layer of cubed potatoes cut 1"-1½" skin on. Add a layer of carrots pealed and cut about 1½" long and ½" thick (thickness not critical - thin parts I leave alone, fat parts I cut in half or quarters if really fat). Add a layer of cellery. Add a layer of coarsly chopped onions.

Cover and simmer a long time.

Note: I don't add salt because Mrs has Meniers and salt is a trigger. I add salt & pepper for me in my bowl. Amounts of herbs depend on volume of meat but not gobs. Potatoes at about double the volume of meat, carrots ½ - 3/4 of the potatoes, cellery about ½ the carrots, onions about the same as cellery.- everything starts from the amount of beef.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:05 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  
Coz

Thanks Charon - I will give it a go tonight and take left overs to heat in the camp oven.

Take care everyone - I'll try and post again before setting off on my holiday tomorrow! A bit excited here!
Old 09-06-2020, 01:00 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Enjoy your camping trip Coz.

charon, still to hot here in Spain for stew!
Old 09-06-2020, 03:02 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Must be getting close to Ruthie's road trip! This weekend or maybe next weekend....I can't remember