Notices

Class of July 2020 Part Two

Old 08-04-2020, 03:32 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Well done on 18 days Robbie and 4 weeks SirF!

Just winding up 6 weeks tonight and I’m off to bed.
I’m not sleeping very well either Robbie, waking up loads of times too. Let’s hope we sleep better tonight!
I walked for 40 minutes today so hopefully some exercise helps with the sleep.
I am also trying to avoid refined sugar.
And taking Suze’s tip and trying not to eat for a few hours before bed, although I had some yogurt tonight....
Goodnight everyone zzzzzzz
Old 08-04-2020, 05:20 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SirFHaddock View Post
28 Days Later – Today I have reached four weeks being sober, overall it’s arrived quicker than I expected. The withdrawal process for me has been a definite game of two halves, the long, slow days in the first week coping with physical symptoms, and then the subsequent weeks where I’ve felt much better, albeit with some random days where I’ve felt unwell, where the sober days are stacking up more quickly.

Almost everything seems to have improved substantially, weight loss, sleep quality (although I rarely have uninterrupted sleep as I have to help my disabled wife to the toilet at least once every night), clear thinking, money saved (an estimated £600 this month I’ve saved).

There’s also been one odd improvement I wasn’t expecting. Over the last few years I’ve found my reaction times when playing computer games has declined to the point of having to alter the difficulty settings down to easy. I put it down to a consequence of being in my mid-forties l. But since I’ve gone sober my reactions have improved to the point of being able to cope with increased difficulty levels. Less my age and more to do with alcohol consumption it would appear.

Congrats to everyone else who are approaching or have completed milestones.
Congrats on four weeks dear SirF!!!!

And congrats on 18 days dear Robbie. s

At 18 days I was also ridiculously exhausted....I needed a nap in the afternoon for an hour as well. And I remember clearly that I felt like I was passing out, I was so tired, and I talked to my doc about it.....but I was fine. She explained to me that my body was finding homeostasis and it would just take a bit of time. (Perhaps just her opinion, not sure). And then by 4 weeks odd, I felt just so much better. The terrible tiredness abated. s

And after a bit longer, I found what you have found SirF, and I am older than you. I was able to do things faster and with more ease, and also my eyesight improved. I had to get new glasses as I I was having blurry issues, and it was because my prescription was too strong for me. Amazing. The ophthalmologist said it was a first for her....a 50 year old whose eyesight was improving.

Good things come to those who are sober. s
Old 08-04-2020, 06:57 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Hey guys, i'm on 13 days today and something weird happened. I've felt fine all day at work, no fatigue etc. Then as soon as I got home from work I burst into tears for no reason...like uncontrollable sobbing and I hardly ever cry. What the heck was that about? I wasn't thinking about drinking or anything in particular for that matter. I feel alright now, but that was very strange...

Congrats on the 28 days Sir F Haddock
Old 08-04-2020, 07:17 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Lapse so leaving for the August thread.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:55 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

With you dear Charon.....just posted to you in the Aug thread. s
Sending love and strength. ❤️

Owen ~ I have heard many people in early sobriety (including me) who experienced this.
Like you, I would be perfectly fine and then boom......crying uncontrollably.

When I was secretary of my AA group, I always made sure we had tissues....and they always got used up.

s ❤️
Old 08-04-2020, 09:00 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

28 Days - Yay!

My milestones: 1 day, 10 days, 1 month, 3 months, 1 year (I usually fail at about a year for reasons I do not know)

Recent drinking history (as far as I can remember):-

Quit July 2017
Lasted till May 2018
Had month of very bad drinking (till unconscious)
Quit June 2018
Lasted till September 2019
Drank quite a lot but with self control till about January 2020
Was up to about 80 units a day by July 2020
Quit in July 2020 because I was ill and drinking became seriously physically painful

I'm out of bed today doing stuff

Sorry to see you go Charon (soon there will be only me left - on my own as usual)

Anyway, to the 3 or so people left in the July 2020 class - well done if you are hanging on :-)
Old 08-04-2020, 09:24 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

We will never leave you on your own dear Redcardid. s
And a HUGE congrats on 28 days! ❤️
Old 08-04-2020, 09:34 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Congrats on 28 days Redcardid
Old 08-04-2020, 11:02 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by owen90 View Post
Hey guys, i'm on 13 days today and something weird happened. I've felt fine all day at work, no fatigue etc. Then as soon as I got home from work I burst into tears for no reason...like uncontrollable sobbing and I hardly ever cry. What the heck was that about? I wasn't thinking about drinking or anything in particular for that matter. I feel alright now, but that was very strange....
Owen, I hope I don’t have to bargain for the possibility of something like this still being in store for me. Seriously though, I don’t think I’d be too worried even if it did happen to me. I became re-aware of many forgotten emotions as I got sober, this time around and in the past. I often felt emotionless (apart from feeling depressed) when hungover. I think sometimes being able to be overcome by emotion is not a bad thing.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:32 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Charon, I’m sorry to hear that. Good on you for sticking around and not wanting for it to go any further.

Originally Posted by redcardid View Post
28 Days - Yay!

Sorry to see you go Charon (soon there will be only me left - on my own as usual)

Anyway, to the 3 or so people left in the July 2020 class - well done if you are hanging on :-)
Redcardit, I’m afraid to say I find your sense of humor somewhat appealing. Perhaps one day we should get together over a cup of tea :-)
Old 08-04-2020, 11:39 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Thanks Captain. It caught me off guard. Like you said, it is probably because my emotions have been dulled for years...and the rawness of everything/old feelings suddenly hit me. Hope you are well my friend

Thank you too Suze, you have put my mind at ease
Old 08-04-2020, 12:17 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Remember guys, life still happens. People who have never drank before or drink normally break down for no reason too. Life happens when we sober up and it very well has nothing to do with alcohol or anything. Red, I ain 't going nowhere I can tell you that for damn sure.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:47 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Owen, I had a similar experience a couple weeks ago. My episode lasted all damn day. I'm happy you were able to hold on until you got home. I still have no idea what really happened to me, mine struck at 9:00 am, in the car, with my hubby, and errands to run that couldn't be put off. It was a horrible day. I eventually wrote it off as a brain detox day *shrugs*. It was alarming.

Charon ((hugs))

Congrats on the milestones! Each time I reach another day, I think of how we share it, Willow. We are all doing a great job!

Had a breakthrough on my exercise and a realization that was very sobering. I have always considered myself "active". Late April/Early May I became sidelined with some foot issues. My sobriety date is June 23 so you can guess how well I healed did before then. Twelve days ago I finally was recovered enough to return to exercise. I'm realistic, I believe. I'm 51 and I've lived more days than I have left to live and that is okay. I'm working hard on replacing partying and booze with exercise and real activity (not just staying busy). Hard to not get discouraged when you don't see the numbers on the scale moving and don't see the numbers on the fitness tracker you want after literal weeks of sobriety. It wasn't until last night at a water zumba class that I had a breakthrough and was able to exercise enough to get my heart into Cardio (Vigorous) range. After much thought, I realized it has been since Jan 2014 that I have had a serious exercise routine. About a year after my bariatric surgery and right about the time my drinking kicked into overdrive. I have struggled to maintain a workout long enough to get a respectable heart rate since then. I don't have high BP, but rather the opposite. Not overly low but hard to elevate to a desired intensity/workout level before my body gives out. I appear to be of perfect health, all my Drs have commented on it and that the numbers didn't match my true activity level. I have realized this is how the road to heart disease can begin and I'm on it.

I have annual Dr checkups and when we can schedule them again, I will be bringing it up.

If I hadn't chose sobriety, I don't believe I would be noticing these things. Thru the fog of alcohol, it was easy to write things off. A year ago I started working on my fitness (it was a struggle, no surprise) after I realized I could barely ride my bicycle. I'm not sure why, but it was the first alarm bell to go off as not acceptable for me. I wasn't ready to accept that my bike riding days were done, no matter if I hadn't tried to ride that bike since 2008 or not. It was the beginning of my journey back. More recently, If I hadn't become sober I would have continued to write off my symptoms as the result of drinking, made them worse and therefore would not have brought it up to my Doc. I've lost a few family and friends that didn't realize how far things had gone and by the time they realized it, it was too late. I am doing my best not to stick my head in the sand any longer.

Hang in there, Sobriety is worth it. We can do it.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:17 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Your journey back is super-impressive girl!!! s ❤️
Really happy for you.

So, I also have low BP. It is weird....my older sister as well so it is genetic for us.
Just by the way.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:52 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Yes Kaptn, we’re doing great!

Red Congratulations on 4 weeks! Awesome stuff Ive had multiple relapses too, including over a year from May 2018, and lots of muck ups since, but I’m more determined than ever to make it stick this time.

Owen, I think in early sobriety our emotions can be all over the place. I know mine are like being on a crazy scary roller coaster sometimes!

Charon, hang in there, you can do this
Old 08-04-2020, 07:13 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Just a note and an amended exercise plan: I am old. Walk or Bike in early am; only water zumba m-w-f evenings for now. I am so beat, I need to take baby steps. Can't add anything more yet. LOL
It was a good day, not too much AV. I managed to be very productive. Getting ready for Mom to come visit late next week. It will be a huge test for me. I think I'm ready.
Keep the plug in the jug, y'all.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:17 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 28 days redcardid!

D
Old 08-05-2020, 05:07 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Hi All - checking in. I’m still here Red. Day 15. Best to you Cheron. Congrats to all who are still here as well.

AV was raising its ugly head yesterday. I had a really busy day and was tired as I was running into town for one last errand. My “errands” were a great time to buy a bottle. Yesterday’s errand was not an excuse to get out though. But as I was driving it was like “you can just pop into the store and get one. It will make you feel better.” Right.... I just thought about how a drink would affect my body, my BP, my heart rate, and the added calories. I finished my errand and went home. That felt really good and I feel really good this morning as I write this.

On exercise, I really started working out again during my 4 months sober Feb to July before I slipped for that 2 weeks. Thankfully I didn’t slip for long or real hard and once I put down the drink I got right back to it. I have lost 25 pounds since January and it feels very good. As your body starts healing I think exercise of any kind really helps. I feel better than I have in many many years.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:53 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Hello,
I'm still here too - day 12 here. Red, congrats on 28! Owen, I had that happen to me last week while I was out jogging, its was crazy and came out of nowhere. But it also felt cleansing, like releasing the build-in sad emotions usually masked by booze.
Wishing everyone a great Wednesday,
Yeah July 2020'ers
Old 08-05-2020, 06:18 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

You guys just triggered an awesome memory for me.

When I got sober again after a relapse that lasted a couple of months in 2014, I got this job which was walking and delivering kidney health plastic clothing bags....you know the ones that people fill up with clothes etc they don't need for charity. I walked twice a week for 3-4 hours. It was wonderful....I got fit and I got mentally fit. I found that my head would just sort itself out while I was walking in the fresh air and encountering people and dogs and cats and the birds....how I love lorakeets.

There was one section I walked that I absolutely adored. Cool little laneways to sneak through to the next street and hidden little parks with a single bench. Lots of flowers. I remember one day walking through that little laneway and feeling wonderful, and then I reached the next street, and looked at the houses, and my stomach dropped and I suddenly felt incredibly uncomfortable. I had no clue why. I remember sweating and feeling shaky. I started thinking I needed a drink. Like as soon as I finished my job for the day. I started to plan it.

And then I looked up at this high wall on the side of some building (not a house) and there painted by hand were the letters SR

I couldn't believe my eyes. I took a photo. I don't have it anymore, but I can still see it clearly in my mind.

I stood there for a while, and got teary and very emotional and smiled. And thanked God.
And then I kept doing my job and went home. And stayed sober.

I later realised that I had been in a house in that street before to buy weed. Years ago. I would imagine that was why I got so uncomfortable.

Winning over my AV, taking my power back that day was huge for me. Thank you for making me remember it. s