Notices

Class of January 2020 PART 5

Old 03-07-2020, 09:23 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

DaisyBelle7 - seek a doctor's opinion if you don't start to feel better soon, won't you.
Hope a rest will help.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:17 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope your party goes well Cityboy.

Maybe a doctor is not a bad idea if you start to feel worse DB7?
Old 03-07-2020, 01:52 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I will. Thank you! My doctor’s office is closed today and tomorrow. If it gets worse, I’ll call public health and see what they say.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:45 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hey all

Busy past few days. Gonna be a busy who knows how long?
Picked up 3 more jobs today and have a few more interested.
Got a call from the marina down the street yesterday needing 2 tops fitted asap. Took care of them now they want me to quote a fairly large enclosure job.

This was supposed to be a part time hobby/job but looks like I may have set myself up to be a full timer again.
Oh well. I like to make things. I like money.
And I have met some really good people these past couple weeks. A couple may turn into friends.

I got 2 invites for access to a great river that has no public access today!

None and I mean NONE of this would have happened if I was sitting home drinking.

The wife and I have been having some good conversations. She has shown an interest in working on her health a lot more now.

Man 2 weeks ago I was an angry man. Today I am content.

Life is strange.

Daisy, Take care of yourself and see a doc if needed
Old 03-07-2020, 02:52 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Seriously wonderful stuff fish. s xx ❤️
Old 03-07-2020, 03:06 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 60 days Wolfie

Cityboy, like Fish said, your posts do help people. They’ve definitely helped me.

Dee, nearly 13 years sober, that’s really inspiring! So great to hear
I’m nearly 52, with lots of regrets, one of which is not stopping drinking sooner! Even more so is having had a few relapses after I had more than a year sober from when I turned 50! Bacchus I think the longer we stay sober, the more we can make amends for our past mistakes, and where we can’t, like Dee said, we can try to live our best life now and going forwards. And that means a lot.

Daisybelle7 I hope you’re better soon! Rest up and see your doctor if you’re not feeling better.

I’m not feeling very well myself today so am staying home and resting. I went to a fundraiser last night but drank soda water only so no reason to feel unwell except maybe just being overtired. Today is my seventh consecutive sober day and I’m starting to feel better mentally, although today I’ve a headache and sore throat. It’s after 9am and I’m still in bed which is really unusual for me. I might try to go back to sleep for a while. I didn’t sleep well at all last night.

Fish congratulations on the extra jobs, sounds really exciting and interesting

It’s interesting reading about all the creatures you guys have in your backyards! Voles, Prairie dogs, squirrels. In my backyard I have mostly snakes, lizards, frogs and lots of birds: scrub turkeys, kookaburras, sunbirds, finches and a bunch of other birds. And lots of big insects.
Plus an occasional echidna travelling through. We have lots of wallabies and kangaroos around our place, but not usually inside our fenced yard, although one big roo jumped in one day for a look
Old 03-07-2020, 03:14 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Someone should make an animated series incorporating all of the animals....for example, a kangaroo gets curious and hops all the way to America to see the grand canyon.....ok....perhaps hops on a plane....let's say he is someone's emotional support kangaroo....and then journeys to the grand canyon.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:28 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Aww that sounds so cute Suze I’d watch it!
A bit like Madagascar
Old 03-07-2020, 09:19 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Willow, I'm just glad you don't have those cassowaries around your place. A local guy here was killed by one he had for a pet a couple of years ago. Those kuukaburas look cool with a similar build to our kingfishers.

I hope you are just having issues to the pollen daisybelle7 and don't develop any worse symptoms. I've seen where a lot of places are issuing statements for people to stay home if they have any symptoms at all.

That's really cool about picking up the jobs fishkiller, and the limited access place.

We met at one of our friend's house, where most had drinks. Then we went to the place which was an active cattle ranch. They put us on a comfortable trailer, no hay, which was pulled by a tractor. They stopped in the field where all the cows were so we could look and talk about them. Then proceeded to the area that had a cook shack, an outdoor barn, and a nice but rustic cabin with a large dining table and other things like a fire pit, cornhole game, and horseshoes. They soon began having food ready which included biscuits and syrup appetizers, salads, then steaks and potatoes. It was all very good. Then sang happy birthday to friend, sat around fire a while, and went home. Friends brought multiple bottles of wine which they drank. They offered to me a couple of times but were not at all pushy about it. These friends have known me for nearly 30 years and I have always been front and center with whatever alcoholic beverage happened to be the current selection. I've not talked to them about it but I'm sure wife has. I think that at this point they may just be wondering if it's really true and I really have given it up.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:26 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Venuscat, I'm thinking someone brings their pet kangaroo to the Grand Canyon and it gets lost, then it finds it way back home in Australia some how. Like a version of 'Homeward Bound'.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:58 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Cityboy, what a perfect event. I am so happy for you. I have only had a few, smaller, social drinking lunches that I have attended this year.
At the first lunch I could tell the surprise (gossip maybe ?) from some work colleagues that I wasn't drinking. The most recent boozy work-lunch was just a positive curiosity and respect from a work friend, I think. To go to a full party, that I couldn't just ditch, is out of my scope currently.
Your party sounds like a total success from your part. It is great that your wife prepared the scene a little beforehand. Really happy for you.

Willow. The same for you. Well done at the fundraiser for staying strong and getting into your seventh day. It must feel great being back on track, even though it is hard. We just push through, I guess.

FK, that is fantastic about the fruits of your new life showing up. You obviously have a talent for what you do and are in demand. Loved ones, who live with us, might be a good barometer on how well we are doing. My wife also wants to be around me more, we talk in the evenings at dinner, we are more affectionate and my work is also going well. Is that all because of sobriety, hard work or luck ? I don't know

For our discussion, personally, I agree with Venuscat that we can reflect healthily on our past actions. Acknowledging how we were and using those memories while our AV is telling us "one drink is OK" seems helpful. Ruminating endlessly or beating ourselves up on past behaviour is different.
Building small positive steps, daily, towards the happy life we see ourselves one day, seems helpful.

I also agree, Cityboy, that reflecting sad, depressing memories can be really harmful. Thank you for bringing this point up.

Wow. I have wrote more than the check-in that I intended to.
Have a really happy, healthy and sober Sunday(evening) wonderful classmates.

dlb
Old 03-08-2020, 05:13 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Kookaburras, Willow? Lovely. Reminded me of that old song, 'kookaburra sits on the old gum tree; merry merry king of the bush is he; laugh, kookaburra laugh....'. I may have gotten some of the lyrics wrong, lol.

Anyway, thank you, everyone, for your excellent responses and contributions to the topic on past regrets...

I do get and appreciate the notion of the past, good and bad, forging the person I am now. I also like the fact of living amends. Being early days, however, I find that I'm still swimming against the current and constantly having to centre myself after I start beating myself up over stuff I did drinking. A big one for me is hurting my immediate family, husband and kids. So I find myself constantly praying that there will not be any effects of my brokenness in my kids lives, especially. Frankly, this fear steals a lot of my joy but I hope it abates the longer I stay sober.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:25 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Hey, dlb!
FK, I'm so happy that you're getting more jobs and more opportunities to take your kayak out. I find your active, outdoorsy life very inspiring.

Cityboy, I'm glad the party went well. Another win for you! I must say I was a bit nervous when you mentioned it at first, but your description of how it actually was made it sound so cosy and lovely. I bet the food was amazing...

When I was drinking, I seldom really enjoyed parties I attended; not the company, decor, food, music, nothing. This was because I was so focused on alcohol; how much was available, what type, how to surreptitiously drink as much as I could, etc. Thankfully, I don't have to suffer that nonsense ever again. That said, I'm living like a hermit right now. No parties (apart from innocent kids' parties), so no chance of being put in a difficult situation that way. For now.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:33 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Oh, and I do hope you both feel better soon, db7 and Willow. After suffering from the flu all of February, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I still have a lingering cough, but thank goodness the worst is over. Drink lots of water and rest up. Hugs.

How's it going, Lixie? How are you, Cynix? How's the new project coming along, jr, and did you finish the other 3 previously neglected jobs?

Wishing everyone a very lovely Sunday and new week.

Oh, and big hugs Suze and Dee!
Old 03-08-2020, 05:52 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ButterMarsh View Post

I start beating myself up over stuff I did drinking. A big one for me is hurting my immediate family, husband and kids. So I find myself constantly praying that there will not be any effects of my brokenness in my kids lives, especially. Frankly, this fear steals a lot of my joy but I hope it abates the longer I stay sober.
I know BM, I think about it also. The effects my drinking will have on my kid long-term. It's time to put all those worries aside though with all the other fears and anxieties. I'm just trying to set a good example now without passing out drunk in my chair all the time and being too hung over to do much on the weekends.

Busy day ahead. I need to get snapping. Have a great day all!!
Old 03-08-2020, 06:05 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Venuscat, I'm thinking someone brings their pet kangaroo to the Grand Canyon and it gets lost, then it finds it way back home in Australia some how. Like a version of 'Homeward Bound'.
Love it...and how about some music? s

Old 03-08-2020, 06:08 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dontlookbacchus View Post
Cityboy, what a perfect event. I am so happy for you. I have only had a few, smaller, social drinking lunches that I have attended this year.
At the first lunch I could tell the surprise (gossip maybe ?) from some work colleagues that I wasn't drinking. The most recent boozy work-lunch was just a positive curiosity and respect from a work friend, I think. To go to a full party, that I couldn't just ditch, is out of my scope currently.
Your party sounds like a total success from your part. It is great that your wife prepared the scene a little beforehand. Really happy for you.

Willow. The same for you. Well done at the fundraiser for staying strong and getting into your seventh day. It must feel great being back on track, even though it is hard. We just push through, I guess.

FK, that is fantastic about the fruits of your new life showing up. You obviously have a talent for what you do and are in demand. Loved ones, who live with us, might be a good barometer on how well we are doing. My wife also wants to be around me more, we talk in the evenings at dinner, we are more affectionate and my work is also going well. Is that all because of sobriety, hard work or luck ? I don't know

For our discussion, personally, I agree with Venuscat that we can reflect healthily on our past actions. Acknowledging how we were and using those memories while our AV is telling us "one drink is OK" seems helpful. Ruminating endlessly or beating ourselves up on past behaviour is different.
Building small positive steps, daily, towards the happy life we see ourselves one day, seems helpful.

I also agree, Cityboy, that reflecting sad, depressing memories can be really harmful. Thank you for bringing this point up.

Wow. I have wrote more than the check-in that I intended to.
Have a really happy, healthy and sober Sunday(evening) wonderful classmates.

dlb
❤️ What a fantastic post.....you are wonderful dear Bacchus....I am not surprised your wife wants to spend more time with you. s
Old 03-08-2020, 06:12 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Also really glad the party went so well dear Cityboy. s ❤️

ButterMarsh honey ~ I was like you in early sobriety. Big time. Really having to continually centre myself.

I think that just being the best you you can be is going to ensure that your family heals love....who you are now is important. Every day is another day of healing for all of you. s xx ❤️
Old 03-08-2020, 06:17 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

willow and city great show of sober strength! Seriously good stuff

dlb, hm? Sobriety, hard work or luck? I will say Yes, Yes and Yes. glad to hear you are seeing some of the same benefits as I. Feels good doesn't it? These posts can get away from us when we are feeling it. Embrace it. It shows you are really paying attention to yourself and recognizing the good , bad and the ugly!

daisy I hope you are feeling better

butter I understand the feelings of guilt but we must not dwell on them.
That person is no longer here. The new butter would not do those things so the new butter has no culpability.
Early on in my latest attempt at sobriety I had a guilt attack. A bad one.
I posted here and received awesome support. Here is a link to my thread. Everyone who posted had great advice and I hope you can find a tool or 2 to use in there.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...me-regret.html (Guilt, shame, regret)

city there is even an example of one of your posts helping a fellow member in there, Me

lixie, cynix, sober check in and let us know how you are feeling!

Hey Dee!

venus you have been such a help in me achieving these things you don't even know. Your level headed insights and even sharing some of your not so good feelings and days have shown me the type person I would like to become in sobriety. Compassionate, caring, helpful and aware of myself as a person.
I look forward to you posting my 1 year anniversary in our 24 hour thread! odaat but I do look forward to it

I am 50+ days sober! Never in the past 30+ years have I even come close to that number!
I owe it all to SR and my wonderful class!
I am 99% sure I would have found a way to shun all the hard work and took the easy way out if it wasn't for you guys.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:23 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

CONGRATULATIONS dear fish!!!!! Yay!!!!!!

And you just made me cry. Good tears. And you bet.....I look forward to posting your one-year anniversary too.

Such an amazing group.....so so happy you all decided to become a part of the SR family. s xx