Notices

Class of January 2020 PART 3

Old 01-26-2020, 07:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good morning daisy. My dog that passed a few years ago was a Florida cur, which is a hearty mixed-bread long used for hunting wild hogs and working free-roaming cows. She loved to sleep in the bed remaining in contact with my feet or knees all night and would get pushy about it sometimes.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good morning Cityboy! Sleeping with our puppy last night was worth the headache. She’s so snuggly. My biggest fear is she’ll fall off the bed though. We also have 2 cats that sleep with us. I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’m sorry about the loss of your dog. It’s so hard to lose our furry friends. I hadn’t heard of that breed before, but I looked it up. Beautiful dogs!
Old 01-26-2020, 08:04 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Good morning wonderful people.

I have a couple of buddies that drink Odul's NA. Don't know, maybe I'll try it.
I have discovered the joys of (diet) ginger beer. Started out as an ingredient to a mocktail, but it's good as a standalone too.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jr67 View Post
I have discovered the joys of (diet) ginger beer. Started out as an ingredient to a mocktail, but it's good as a standalone too.
Got it. Gosling's $6.99 6 pack at target. Will give it a try.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:07 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hello all

Day 4 here feel terrible as per thread i have posted before, 1 day at a time hoping health improves, lets all enjoy this crazy trip to wherever as best we all can.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Got it. Gosling's $6.99 6 pack at target. Will give it a try.
I'll be curious what you think, Cityboy.

And because not everyone reads every post, I'll repost the mocktail recipe below. Those among us whose drinking routine regularly included practicing the art of mixology, and whose situations are amenable for attending parties or events where most others may be ingesting ethanol, may enjoy preparing this drink as one formerly prided oneself on making a martini, mahattan, or the like:

One part grapefruit juice
two parts ginger beer (or ginger ale)
chopped fresh mint.

Pour the grapefruit juice into a glass with ice. Add the ginger beer. Add the mint. Stir.

If it's too sweet, add more grapefruit juice; if it's too tart, add more ginger beer.

The first party at which I drank it was a couple of weeks ago. I liked the fact that I could keep adding sparkling water to my drink as the level went down, and the drink maintained sufficient flavor even in diluted form. With booze, perish the thought of diluting the drink.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cynix View Post
Hello all

Day 4 here feel terrible as per thread i have posted before, 1 day at a time hoping health improves, lets all enjoy this crazy trip to wherever as best we all can.
Welcome! I read your other post. My anxiety was through the roof last Sunday. At times, I still feel like I don’t know whether I’m coming or going. This is a new mindset for all of us and it will take time to get used to. Do you have any support at home or with a recovery group besides SR? I have 2 apps on my phone, SR, and joined an AA group online. I’ve found that the more support I have, the less my anxiety tends to be. I hope you get some answers regarding your health. That’s very scary. I have some chronic health issues. It can be very frustrating. Glad to have you here with us!
Old 01-26-2020, 12:18 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thank you for your kind welcome.

I actually took diazepam in the last hour or so and anxiety has gone as has joint pain and heavy limbs just have some numbness and burning in one arm so pretty sure a lot of my issues are more than just physical.

i am checking out local AA meetings and will likely attend being only 4 days in just trying to chill watching tv and eating ridiculous amounts of food got proper sugar cravings which i always get when stopping.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:37 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks for for the thread Dee.

Hello fishkiller, Reid, jr67, CityBoy, venuscat, WLife, Daisy,

Beautiful pic Willow! I would love to have such a beautiful place to escape to for serenity. I walk here among cars everywhere.

freedomfries your doing really well, welcome lixie, Cynix

Originally Posted by dontlookbacchus View Post
Like WastingLife and others, I had a few days of long, relentless lows during this journey. Sinking depression, remorse and low self esteem.
I am as far from being an expert in *any* of this, but I just push through and put it down to healing. Brain and body chemistry sorting itself out without artificial stimulants. The boredom and temptation sucks sometimes.
ButterMarsh, DLB, Cynix

So many of us are feeling this. I read a post last night that said; "Just recover, let yourself recover, don't think or do anymore than that right now. " It made sense to me and helped me to just go with the feelings right now, it will even out with time. I have a problem of trying to think to far in the future, not good, that is when I mess up.

Hope I didn't miss anyone, thought I'd say hi to everyone on this post. 23 days for me, today seems to be good so far, doesn't help January is dreary, it probably added to feelings.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:56 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hope I didn't miss anyone, thought I'd say hi to everyone on this post.
And hello to everyone that hasn't checked in yet. I missed the edit timeout.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:22 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Just checking in before going to bed on day 2, sober. Good night all!
Old 01-26-2020, 01:53 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cynix View Post
Hello all

Hello dear Cynix ~ I promise it gets better. Hang in there a few more days and you will feel human again. s xx
Old 01-26-2020, 02:33 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have reservations about mocktails if they resemble our favourite alcoholic drinks. because although the drink is non alcoholic, the associated behaviors may not be.

I drank NA beer towards the end of my drinking career - it just made me miss the real thing, and I'd go out and get it;

I'd hate that to happen to anyone here so - just be be careful and examine your motives.

D
Old 01-26-2020, 02:34 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome cynix

D
Old 01-26-2020, 02:49 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I have reservations about mocktails if they resemble our favourite alcoholic drinks. because although the drink is non alcoholic, the associated behaviors may not be.

I drank NA beer towards the end of my drinking career - it just made me miss the real thing, and I'd go out and get it;

I'd hate that to happen to anyone here so - just be be careful and examine your motives.

D
Wise counsel as always, Dee.

Thank you.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:14 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I officially completed my first work project sober!! I can’t believe it! I go back tomorrow and although I'm still nervous, I feel a bit more confident because I completed the project without using, hope everyone is having a great night
Old 01-26-2020, 05:58 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations sendsleep

D
Old 01-26-2020, 08:02 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hello All, just checking in before bed at the end of another sober weekend. I have been cranky all weekend for no particular reason. But, I am sober, and off to bed and hoping for a more even day tomorrow ( my kids probably hope so too )
Old 01-26-2020, 09:29 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hi everyone
I’m glad you guys liked the forest pics

Daisybelle7 what sort of puppy do you have? Sorry if you already said and I missed it. She sounds very snuggly but you must be tired!

Well done Freedomfries on getting through the christening! Really good job I drink nonalcoholic wine in social situations when I really feel like something other than sparkling water, when soft drinks just aren’t cutting it. It’s a life saver for me at high temptation times.

Thanks Dee for your wise words. I agree re the no alcohol drinks that resemble alcohol. We have to be very careful with them. I only use them when feeling really triggered or desperate and they’ve gotten me out of a couple of tricky situations.... that’s just me though, and they may not be the best idea. I try not to use them much. Yesterday was the only glass of n/a wine I’ve had this year, and it was just one.

jr I think a lot of us can relate to the scared little boy (or girl) being the reason for reaching for the drink and gulping down some dutch courage. I know I certainly can. So now we need to find other ways to find confidence, ways that don’t poison us and actually rob us of our confidence long term.

Welcome cynix

Hi Time well done remembering everyone!

I’m home again and so relieved I didn’t succumb to the free port
(I did have a glass of nonalcoholic wine yesterday when I was feeling really tempted to drink on the second night at the accommodation).
Glad to have survived Australia Day long weekend sober! Finishing up day 27
Old 01-26-2020, 10:54 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Free at last!

Morning all from a wet and windy (the weather not me) UK!

Welcome to Cynix and Lixie.

As expected things sometimes get worse for a time on the journey before they then get better. It was years of drinking that got me to this, so I am mentally prepared it isn't going to be a quick fix and my body has a lot of healing to do over time.

Sleep has been pretty poor the last few days and then last night I had really painful alcoholic neuropathy in my arms and legs which kept me awake the whole time. Have had mild pins and needles before but not to this extreme. Still have it now in my hands as I am typing!
I am taking vitamins and think I didn't drink enough water yesterday or do any exercise, so will keep a check on this today.

Anyhow, one thing I do know for sure is that going back to drinking will only make everything ten times worse, so happy to be starting day 27 and to stay on track!

Well done to everyone else here in class. Sometimes it feels like slow progress, but every day we don't drink is another day of freedom from the awful burden we have ben carrying on our shoulders for years. Enjoy the lightness!