Notices

Class of January 2020 PART 3

Old 01-27-2020, 12:53 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

wastinglife , I feel for you. I have a DUI and one past bankruptcy as well. Just a thought, but what about a completely different field? If you could do anything you like, what would it be? The only reason I ask is, when I was 47, my dream job fell into my lap through a volunteer gig. I never in a million years would’ve thought it could happen. Anyway, just wanted you to know that I understand. Hugs to you!

venuscat, that’s crazy re alcohol sales here vs in Australia. I’ve lived in the US all my life, and many times I find myself shaking my head at how things go on here. Sometimes I feel like Americans are a bunch of test subjects for crappy food, pharmaceuticals, and addictions.

Cityboy, I love your puppy story. They really do become a part of our family, don’t they?
Old 01-27-2020, 11:36 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Day 12
Almost 2 weeks
Off to the gym now
Old 01-28-2020, 01:21 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Good morning, all.

Venuscat, thanks for the tips on alternative drinking... Definitely something I'll adopt.

I'm busying myself reading this class' whole thread... I'm almost done with part 1. It's good to see that the people who were there on January 1st are largely still here.

This is day 9 for me, I think. I'm slowly learning (and loving) to live one day at a time. It's so freeing.

Catch you all later!
Old 01-28-2020, 01:26 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Day 4 here. Feeling good. Wish you all a good day!
Old 01-28-2020, 02:49 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Daisybelle7 your house must be lively with all the animals ❤️ Rescuing animals is such a lovely thing to do

Cityboy I love your story about the dog that had you wrapped around his little paw ❤️ I’m not sure what exactly a cur dog is though.

WL don’t think about it if it’s triggering you. Just don’t drink. But I think that’s tough for you. I hope you can figure out a way forward. I have changed my career path a few times over the course of my life. Perhaps volunteer work might lead to something? Just another idea to throw in the mix.

Well done on 12 days Freedomfries and 9 days Buttermarsh and 4 days Lixie

I’m just finishing up day 28. Yippee on 4 weeks

We all rock!
Old 01-28-2020, 03:08 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Good morning Class!

All is well in Fishkiller land.
Just a little battle with the AV yesterday. No temptation or desire just those goofy what ifs and such.

My daughter is making great progress on moving back to the States. It is going much quicker than we thought and she is getting very anxious. I have about 500,000 messages since yesterday! lol

They will be living with us for a while in my little 1200 sf house. 2 extra adults , a toddler and a newborn.

Gonna be wonderful and stressful at the same time but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 01-28-2020, 03:09 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

^^^ Yes you do all rock!!!!! ❤️
Old 01-28-2020, 03:31 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hi all

WL, you are awesome, intelligent and honest. We are sober, now trying to repair the lives we damaged while drunk, but, I think we can rewrite. We all found it here, which is a great start. We have to give the sober versions of ourselves a chance at the wheel.

Personally, I also have to re-tool my skills and learn to think differently.
In my case, I have to try to not picture my failure as I try to present myself or decide to take actions. I don't want to have lost opportunities mentally before I even go for them.

To agree with Venuscat, I believe our new sober lives have opportunities ahead that we can't predict now. You can do it. We are all in this together WL !!

Willow, well done on 4 weeks. I just hit that milestone and it felt great.

Fishkiller, Being at such close quarters, they will see a new you, I guess. It might be a good opportunity

Great work FF, Buttermarsh & Lixie. I agree, it does feel like the chains are off a little. Or loosened slightly.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:05 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Just walked to the offie to buy a naggin of vodka. Changed my mind and bought crisps
Struggling with cravings
Old 01-28-2020, 04:11 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Glad you changed your mind dear ff. s

Thinking about how awesome your new counsellor is and how brilliant it is that you are taking these steps....and about how proud of you your sister was the other day..... s xx

Have you see this thread? xx

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)
Old 01-28-2020, 04:12 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Keep strong Freedom, day 6 for me kidneys ache s bit today assume body is in massive repair mode.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:13 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

I would say so dear Cynix. s
Hope you feel better every single day. s xx
Old 01-28-2020, 04:58 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Venus, thanks for that link on cravings. I remember reading through that back in 2018 as I began this quest. Not having too many issues with cravings this time (so far), but found straight forward advice like that very helpful as I headed into the uncharted waters at that early point in my recovery.

Great job on 4 weeks Willow. You're on you way.

Cityboy/Daisy...my wife and I are big dog people as well. We have 2 rescues at the moment (have had them both a good long time now). Our stoic kitty cat passed a few years ago after 17 years.

Glad you skipped that vodka ff. Now you can wrap up 2 weeks and continue on from there.

Great job too to Butter, Lixie and Cynix.

Sounds like your choice to start sobriety was well timed fishkiller. You'll have some good time in as that hectic life begins. That will help a lot I would think.

Wasting, don't have much advice other than to stay sober. Taking alcohol out of the equation, for me anyway, makes the rest of life easier to varying degrees. Wish I would follow my own advice more strictly.

Starting Day 22 here. The air is a bit thin up here heading into week 4. Haven't been here very often, but feeling good just the same.

Have a great day all.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:04 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Just handed my money over to my mother to look after so I'm not tempted
Old 01-28-2020, 05:12 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dontlookbacchus View Post
Hi all

WL, you are awesome, intelligent and honest. We are sober, now trying to repair the lives we damaged while drunk, but, I think we can rewrite. We all found it here, which is a great start. We have to give the sober versions of ourselves a chance at the wheel.

Personally, I also have to re-tool my skills and learn to think differently.
In my case, I have to try to not picture my failure as I try to present myself or decide to take actions. I don't want to have lost opportunities mentally before I even go for them.

To agree with Venuscat, I believe our new sober lives have opportunities ahead that we can't predict now. You can do it. We are all in this together WL !!

Willow, well done on 4 weeks. I just hit that milestone and it felt great.

Fishkiller, Being at such close quarters, they will see a new you, I guess. It might be a good opportunity

Great work FF, Buttermarsh & Lixie. I agree, it does feel like the chains are off a little. Or loosened slightly.

jr67 asks readers to look back at dontlookbacchus's post quoted above because, no lie, "That's just what I was going to say." In fact I *did* say a lot of it in the post I was just composing, addressing most or all of the same fellow-travelers in turn, then lost the whole post by doing something wrong on my laptop that has happened more times than I want to count over the past 3 weeks since I found SR, and I still have not figured out what it is.

So dlb I hope you don't mind. After all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Plagiarism, on the other hand, is a horse of a different color, but if I give credit where credit is due (in this case credit is due to dontlookbacchus), then I don't think I'm culpable on that count.

I'm not exaggerating about "that" being just what I was going to say. It's almost eerie. A while ago this morning, a couple of hours ago, the concept of "rewrite" caught my mind's attention, and I was going to say something about it, and there it is in dlb's post.

What had come to jr's mind with regard to the word and the concept of "rewrite," was a scene from one of those old newspaper-drama movies from roughly the 1930s to 50s, I'd say, where they show a bustling newsroom of a big-city paper, usually black and white in the examples I have in mind, when some big story breaks and the press deadline is fast approaching and the cigar-chomping city editor barks into his clunky desk telephone, "Get Me Rewrite!" because they have to redesign the whole first page.

Then you see the papers streaming off the printing press in fast-motion, screaming the scoop of a headline, some variation of "Gotham City Hospital At Mercy Of Joker's Fiendish Plot!", then our heroes valiantly swoop in to save the day. At least in the movies.

And so too in SobeRlandia, we are all chroniclers and readers of this, our 24-hour e-paper, let's call it for present purposes "Our Daily Bread." And we valiantly strive to save the day.

O SobeRlandians, let us each day, one day at a time, leaven, bake, and partake of Our Daily Bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.

Quiz:

1. Do you think the Original Author of the unattributed language in that last sentence before the quiz will get wind of jr's transgression?

2. Who is the Original Author, according to the religious tradition in which jr was born and reared?

3. If the answer to Q1 is yes, do you think jr might be in some sort of trouble?

4. If, at least here in SobeRlandia (you gotta start somewhere), all who visit, including jr, were to manage to "forgive those who trespass against us," does that mean jr's plagiaristic trespass against the answer to Q2, if any, will be forgiven?

5. Would your answer to Q4 change if jr does not believe in the answer to Q2?

As you contemplate (or not) these conundrums, gentle readers, jr heads off to worky work here on his Day 27.

Thanks again, dlb, and cead mile failte to us struggling SObeRlandians:

One hundred thousand welcomes, wherever you come from, whosoever you be.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:43 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Good morning all.

Mrwolfe congrats on day 22.

Cynix, after day 6 was when I really began to feel better each day.

ffries,

Dlb, congrats on week 4.

Fishkill, sounds great having daughter back close.

Willow, congrats on 28. Just do a quick Google on Florida curs to get a description. Not an AKC breed but lots of history. The Seminole Indians had them, and probably still do.

Lixie, congrats, the good feeling will continue.

Buttermarsh, congrats on day 9.

To be honest I've only had passing thoughts of hitting the beer store on the way home each day and it has only lasted a moment each time. Had a fleeting thought yesterday about a modestly expensive whiskey we had at friend's house a few weeks ago. I fully expect to have these thoughts for some time and for them to be more intense under certain conditions.

Sleep is still a little off. Can't keep my eyes open while watching TV with family in the evening before bed time. Hard to drag my behind out of bed in the morning.

A little hard to get motivated to begin work each morning without the crutch of looking forward to beer time.

Trying to cut back on coffee a little. Definitely better without the hangovers.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:52 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
Just handed my money over to my mother to look after so I'm not tempted
Well done you.

I am so glad you are able to talk to your parents and sister about all of this....I know it helped me to be able to do that in early recovery. My whole family was team Suze...my nephews were awesome.....I remember one big extended family dinner and my sister's BF's husband was pouring drinks and was getting to me and my nephew Matt stood up and said: Suzi isn't drinking alcohol anymore. And everyone said oh, OK, cool.

s ❤️
Old 01-28-2020, 05:57 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

So the Lord's Prayer is now thought to have been composed by the church a number of years after Jesus was crucified. And you bet I googled. So I don't think you are in any trouble dear jr. s ❤️
Old 01-28-2020, 06:03 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

^ Is there a source for that information, venuscat?
Old 01-28-2020, 06:09 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I just googled it....I didn't make it up....sorry if this is rubbish. Google could be way wrong. I apologise. s