Notices

Class of December 2019 part 5

Old 02-11-2020, 06:48 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Besides the diabetes, I just want to feel better, and I know the way that I've been eating hasn't helped a thing. My meals really aren't bad, it's all the crap I eat between them that is the problem.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:58 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  

And I know you have heard how many people actually totally get rid of type2 diabetes with diet and exercise.

Do you want to watch Biggest Loser with me?
It's my fav show ever, and I find it very motivational and educational, and there is a brand new series. And Bob Harper hosts it.

I can see you rolling your eyes.....he he he. s
Old 02-11-2020, 05:33 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Afternoon All,
Bob - I am glad you are here too. I can always count on your daily posts which is especially great because sometimes I would be talking to myself....well more so than usual Awesome about the focus on diet.

Venus - YESSSS!! Diet & exercise is so important for SO many health conditions. Before I became an alcoholic & even during the early stages I was a very healthy eater & active person. My son has a condition which i treated with diet and it has made me hyper aware of the importance of nutrition in particular.

It sounds like the three of us are on a health kick starting today. I did up a menu plan and shopping list this week and today was shopping day. Im starting small but the changes i make will eventually be pretty extreme by most standards. Im still quite fatigued so i have to go a little bit slow to begin with but im very motivated to get healthy again. I know it will help all my ailments immensely.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:44 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  

With you all the way love....let's do this....also have a fridge stacked with healthy food. Go us. s ❤️
Old 02-11-2020, 08:58 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 6 weeks Bob

D
Old 02-12-2020, 02:50 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Good morning. Day 43. Well, the only snacks I had between meals were nuts. Left my stomach grumbling No time for complaining today though. My wife has come down with flu and we're having plumbing problems at the condo we rent out. I'll check in a little later and say more.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:50 AM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Hope the plumbing gets fixed fast and I am so glad your wife has you there to look after her. s ❤️
Old 02-12-2020, 08:44 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  

I just can’t seem to catch a break. I promptly came down with the flu after logging in last. Not feeling too good today.

Glad to see Bob, Steely, Zura and Venus plugging along! I am just under 70 days today. Cravings have gone way down the last few weeks and I am grateful not to be pining all the time for alcohol.

The new puppy is a lot of work. Her post-op care has been very time-consuming, going to the vet every other day due to a complication and infection. Yesterday, she got the all clear. Boy, is she a handful! She is currently barking and sassing at me from under a blanket because I am ignoring her while I type. (Now, she has moved onto chewing a piece of Tupperware),

Consistency is not my strong suit, such as checking in here, but I am trying to do my best, even though I am enjoying my sober time and don’t want to think about alcohol at all.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:06 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Still catching up on reading at the moment and thinking lots about Red and Steely. Want to send hugs to both of you. Family can be difficult.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:27 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Bob, so sorry to hear about your health! I know several people who have successfully reversed type-2 diabetes with diet and exercise. I am rooting for you. Cinnamon oil is supposed to help, too.

Congratulations, Steely, on your cigarette abstinence! That is inspiring.

I have a minor-ish fast food addiction. I excuse it because I am thin(ish) and I am slammed 3 days of the week and don’t have time to cook. I have a penchant for In-N-Out and Taco Bell. I fully know that it’s gross, but it’s been my substitute for alcohol, so I need to cut back. I suppose if Steely can stop smoking, I guess I can give up animal fries.

Red, hope you are doing better. You should not feel like a visitor in your own home.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:29 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Hi Zura!

Hope you are well today.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:40 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  

I think if it's not too often, why not? Ultimately, I prefer to allow takeout only once a week, but gosh I remember when I got here and I was super-stressed and I ate Wendy's a lot....it was comfort food and easy. And gosh, looking after a post-surgery puppy and home schooling and setting up your own art/business....it's a lot. You are doing brilliantly love. s xx ❤️❤️
Old 02-12-2020, 01:33 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Good Morning All,

Bob - Sounds like you will have a busy day. Great to hear about the healthy snack choices *high five.

Pouncer - Lovely to hear from you. That is a lot on your plate!! Glad you are enjoying your sobriety though.

Venus - Hello Lovely, hope your doing ok *hugs

Have a beautiful day everyone xxoo
Old 02-12-2020, 01:43 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  

I am great Zura.....it's snowing big time.....I will try and take a vid for you.

I really need to learn how to take better videos size wise.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:23 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Oh wow!! PERTY!! I have only seen very light snow couple of times here were i live, nothing like that. Going to the snow is on my bucket list. It must be cold. Stay warm
Old 02-13-2020, 12:50 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WWcJTQBXJnA

Hi everyone.

Have been wagging school these past few days, perusing threads around the place, learning of other people's experience. We all seem to be hanging in, and walking the walk, not off the gangplank.

Dear bob I've attached a video of my hero E. Zymbalist Jnr. I used to watch him in FBI, but also in 77 Sunset Strip. It was so cool back in the olden days.

Bob, I think it's pretty normal to examine our lives when we get sober. Also pretty normal when we are at retirement age. I think everyone does that as we age. We're now looking fair and square at our mortality.

One thing I do know bob is important to not make major decisions in early sobriety. You can still do all of the things you want, even if they are not the things your wife might choose. Kick back bob and relish the things you enjoy. Life is short and sobriety long if we make it so. Share these things with your wife. Don't have to do everything together. But I don't know much, so tell me to shut up if I'm talking out of line. Don't mean to.

As for diet. I bung together my famous Mediterranean standby. Salmon (cheap Aldi), jacket potato, and green salad with feta cheese and olives. Yummo. And super quick.

I don't like cooking much so this fills the bill for healthy, no effort. Eggs, toast, for breakfast, and scrounge up some sort of healthy sandwich for lunch.

My diet has improved since stopping drinking. Hardly ate at all when I was on the grog. Maybe eat nuts between meals. Macadamea are beautiful. Native Australian, and really good for you.

Hope you enjoy attached intro to 77 Sunset Strip. Swoon on Efrem. How cool can you get.

Hope everyone is doing well, and can only say I am so very grateful to be sober.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:51 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Good morning and good to hear from you Pouncer and Steely. Day 44 here.

Wife is doing better and plumbing works again, so back to work again.

Steely-comment away. You're not going to bother me Pouncer-Sorry about the dog issues. Don't you wish the dog could talk to you?

Zura-Having lived in Florida my entire life, I've only really experienced snow when visiting states to the north. It is a great and wonderful thing, unless you live in a place that gets it regularly. I think it's the main reason people move to Florida

Did OK with eating yesterday. I'm going to claim victory when I avoid chips, candy, cookies, etc.

Spent the last 2 days reading This Naked Mind. Very interesting stuff in there. I'm assuming everyone here can confirm most of what is in there?

Have a great day, or for most of the class, good nights sleep.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:24 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Hello all,

Checking in from the flu room good news is that I have plenty of time to check in.

I love that book, Bob, and I really believe it is helping to change my attitude and false beliefs about alcohol and addiction.

Steely, that sounds awesome! I am a fan of almost any kind of fish dishes. How is the salmon prepared when you make it? I have a recipe for fish pie that I want to make. Everyone in the house thinks it sounds disgusting, but to me, it seems impossibly delicious.

Wow, Venus! Your neighborhood looks A-M-E-R-I-C-A-N. Quintessential. It reminds me of the neighborhoods in “A Christmas Story.” I suppose that makes sense, since, you know...Ohio.

We are not supposed to talk about politics here and don’t want to go further than to say how happy I am today that a friend of mine is no longer getting deported. I am so relieved that he can stay here with his family and friends.

Going back to bed.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:29 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Good Morning All,

Steely - I didnt realise you were studying, may I ask what? Your meal sounds super yummy.

Bob - Glad everything is all sorted. I know living in a place so cold it snows wouldnt suit me but snow just looks so magical & fun!! I wanna built snowmen & have snowball fits and sled!! Im a lil kid at heart in some ways.

I'm off to tend my garden oasis....yes i can call it that again as the drought & fires are no longer affecting me here.......the dessert like conditions have subsided and everything is lush again.....but now ave to deal wit weedaggedon
Old 02-13-2020, 12:30 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

and