Notices

Class of November 2019 Part 4

Old 12-15-2019, 01:12 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

sbts, I'm sorry you had to go through that experience. I'm so glad you made it through the dinner okay, but it sounded like it was a terrible night. Something will have to give.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:13 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

It sounds like everyone had pretty eventful Saturdays. I didn't do much, just working and we went to a hockey game on Saturday. It was fun, but we lost 5 - 2.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:52 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Hello all. End of day 2 in Lake Como. What a breathtakingly beautiful place. I ate out the last two nights and the sight of wine being poured at other tables was tough and I allowed myself to reminisce / romanticise - granted I needed to go back about 10 years to when it worked. No recent memories which is kinda the point of all this. I must not let these thoughts have a chance of taking hold. Best chance of doing that is to try to avoid being around it as much as possible and keep life really low stress. I got a text just now from a friend asking about the night out I organised a couple of weeks back. Apparently I organised a big night out for the day after Xmas day when I'm home in Ireland. I must have been blacking out when sending it. Mortifying but another reminder to stay vigilant. SBTS, good on you for getting through that night. Really impressive, I guess we shouldn't make a habit of those nights as they can be triggering as well as just plane frustrating. Hope everyone else is all good and cracking on. We all seem to be making some progress as we enter the third week of December. Let's keep it going and power through Xmas and avoiding temptation. Will message properly in a couple of days when I'm back from hols.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:15 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Enjoy the beauty dar Briansy. s
Tell the thoughts to go jump....no need to listen to the rubbish. s xx
Old 12-15-2019, 05:27 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

I should stay close as I haven't made it past the 60 day mark after several attempts. I'm on day 57 and I have my son until Wed. so I know I will make it passed that mark! Plus I don't ever want to drink again. I don't want to want to that is!
Old 12-15-2019, 07:14 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Joy you will make it! Stick close.

Briansy, enjoy Como and keep checking in.

OOTT, yeah, it was not a fun night. I was honest with my bf and told him if I’d known it was going to be like that, I wouldn’t have gone (it was not what either of us expected.) He’s been very supportive of me drawing boundaries on what kind of social events I will and won’t attend, so I’m sure he’ll understand if I don’t want to go out with these people next time.

We are both now moved temporarily back into my place for the duration of his apartment renovation. The move went well today, it was a lot of work, but we worked really well as a team and kept our spirits up. Still some unpacking to do, but he didn’t bring much so not too bad. I’ll likely have everything unpacked and put away by tomorrow.

Have a nice night all. x
Old 12-15-2019, 11:18 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Hi guys, just a quick hello, it’s been a crazy busy weekend and Monday! Still on the hop so hopefully I’ll have more time tomorrow. I read all your awesome posts but now I’m out of time again, see you all soon
Old 12-15-2019, 11:52 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Joy, yeah, the danger zone for me is 40 days. The beast tells me that I can relax and enjoy myself having made a new personal best. "You did 40 days, you can afford a well deserved blow out, I have it doesn't last too long, and then crack on and try to get 45 days next time". That kinda stuff. Last time I feel like I took on too much too soon in terms of additional stresses. Like I was pushing myself hard in work, eating super healthy with little cheating, I weaned myself odd my sleep meds and was walking LOADS. Kinda like what I was saying earlier about moving on to phase two of making other aspects of your life better and taking the focus off not drinking. This time around, I'm going to introduce self improvement in other areas of my life slowly and cut myself some slack - the sleeping meds experiment is something I can't do until I am secure in my sobriety as sleep is vital for my well being and going through a wall of pain in not using the meds (only OTC Benadryl by the way) is putting myself under too pressure and inviting trouble. So i'd say cut yourself slack in other areas and power on!!

Final day here on Lake Como. Amazing spot. Will try to post a couple of pictures of anyone wants to see them?!
Old 12-15-2019, 11:59 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  
Administrator

"You did 40 days, you can afford a well deserved blow out, I have it doesn't last too long, and then crack on and try to get 45 days next time".
The thing is tho, every time we drink again we create a little memory file for outselves that should be titled something like 'This Is What I Risk Every Time I Drink Again.Doc'

There is no certainly that we will come back from a relapse, and no certainly we'll keep beating Personal Bests

Thats the kind of addiction that keeps losing gambelers losing.

There is no control after that first drink.

We don't have to drink again.

There's nothing inevitable preordained or automatic about it.

We can use our backlog of 'memory files' to forge new hitherto unexplored pathways - & I hope you, and everyone else here, will Briansy.

D
Old 12-16-2019, 12:53 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. And yes, definitely on the same page on those thoughts. Best case scenario allowing yourself that "reward" just keeps you stuck in neutral and not moving on. Worse scenarios don't bear thinking about.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:57 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Day 58 and I'm having really bad cravings. Thoughts keep coming back to drinking. I know how stupid it is and what I'd let myself in for but I cant stop thinking about it. Needed to post. I'm going out for a long cycle ride.
best wishes.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:12 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree Briansy

If it was easy and stayed easy no one would need this site Tap.

it is possible not to give into the cravings tho, of course - and they will let up

D
Old 12-16-2019, 01:19 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by taplow View Post
Day 58 and I'm having really bad cravings. Thoughts keep coming back to drinking. I know how stupid it is and what I'd let myself in for but I cant stop thinking about it. Needed to post. I'm going out for a long cycle ride.
best wishes.
Cycle ride's a good call. I really hope you manage to stave them off and then you are telling your brain no.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:55 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Had trouble sleeping last night. I woke up at 4:00am, and now it's almost 6am. Took a good fall yesterday, and now I have a painful goose egg on the back of my head! 2 doctors' appts. today, so at least I won't be late!
Old 12-16-2019, 06:45 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Oh no!!! You fell?
So not good....slipped on snow or something.
We need to bubble-wrap you until Thursday.
I hope you are alright love. ❤️
Old 12-16-2019, 06:51 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by taplow View Post
best wishes.
This is what we need to do....call ourselves out.
The cravings can come really suddenly and powerfully, and we need to say it out loud so to speak and take action.

Also, I haven't mentioned this in this thread yet (I don't think) but my first sponsor taught me that milk will kill a craving in a second. Now Aussies and NZers have awesome milk....don't know about the UK, but I am sure it is good. Not so much here....but there is A2 milk here now that is awesome, very drinkable. Anyway, so she said to me that if you get a craving, go and drink a glass of milk. If it's still there, drink another one.

There are a few reasons why this works....and it does work.
It did for me every time.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:17 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
This is what we need to do....call ourselves out.
The cravings can come really suddenly and powerfully, and we need to say it out loud so to speak and take action.

Also, I haven't mentioned this in this thread yet (I don't think) but my first sponsor taught me that milk will kill a craving in a second. Now Aussies and NZers have awesome milk....don't know about the UK, but I am sure it is good. Not so much here....but there is A2 milk here now that is awesome, very drinkable. Anyway, so she said to me that if you get a craving, go and drink a glass of milk. If it's still there, drink another one.

There are a few reasons why this works....and it does work.
It did for me every time.
I like it!!
Old 12-16-2019, 07:46 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

I'm gonna try it, but I am not a big fan of milk anymore. Hubby drinks about a gallon per day!
Old 12-16-2019, 07:53 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Just a suggestion....I know lots of people can't or don't drink milk. s
Old 12-16-2019, 12:14 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Taplow! 58 days here too! Thx Dee good advice and so true. Brainsy we can do it.