Notices

Class of August Part 1 2019

Old 08-21-2019, 02:05 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Venuscat
I know it’s just very aggravating!!! That’s where I don’t understand addiction completely I do get the basics maybe I never actually understand it I just know I need to stay away from everything I know what started my addiction and which wasn’t even alcohol I left one addiction for a different one but I actually let the past go now it’s just the cravings, urge and it’s what I know when it comes to masking little life issues that pop up and from age of 13 to now which is 30 that’s what I done for fun when I’m upset, mad, sad, and even happy I guess live and learn everyday is a new day and today will definitely be a sober one
Old 08-21-2019, 02:26 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Oh yeah....I started at the same age....and left one thing for another and then alcohol. I think it could well be true that alcohol changes our brain chemistry, and maybe it takes a while to be able to not make it a priority? Just thinking out loud here....brain says need.....soul and heart say no....kind of the whole good wolf/bad wolf thing.....which one will we listen to?
Old 08-21-2019, 04:25 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
How long do you have until the surgery love?
You might be able to taper perhaps....I always quit cigs this way. s

And how long have you had that avatar.....it is DIVINE.....can't believe I just noticed it. s
You like my flower? Thanks Venuscat! I just put it on last night..finally figured out how lol...and love your cat

I'm not sure when the surgery will be, I looked at the surgeon's waiting list and it estimates about a 4 month wait. It is a workers comp claim though so I might get in quicker. Lots of time to quit smoking...ugh I've a feeling I'm going to have to go cold turkey for this problem, I have a hard time moderating anything.

Hi rainbowalien...I love your avatar, hi nichole and trojanhorse!
Old 08-21-2019, 04:26 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Cold turkey is kind of hard love.....but if you think you can, you have all of our support. s

And yeah I love your flower....it's beautiful.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:31 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

You can do it Patterson, I know you can!!!!!!
Old 08-21-2019, 06:34 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Third day at work and no drinking day 6 has gone ok. Cravings were not to bad today but I as super busy. Been drinking diet pepsi like it is water but I guess that is better than the alternative. Still can't say thank you enough for having this class here with us all together on this tough journey. It is so much better than trying to do it alone. If I can help anyway at anytime just holler!
Old 08-22-2019, 03:02 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Nichole, I'm not sure I'll ever understand addiction all that well. I know I didn't see it coming until I was already an alcoholic. Like you, I drank in response to almost everything, good or bad. But we can find a better way.

I hope you find a way to stop smoking, Patterson. I've smoked in the past, but it never really stuck. No addiction at all. Go figure. Anyway, I know you'll find a way.

Trojanhorse, you sound in control and moving forward. Yes!

My meeting last night was good. The reinforcement really helps because I tend to lose sight of the big goal of permanent sobriety.

Day 12 and feeling calm, if not entirely secure. It's better that way I think. We're never completely out of the woods of addiction.

Make it a good and sober day everyone! We can do this!
Old 08-22-2019, 03:37 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Day 18. Morning coffee. Odd day yesterday. I had a terrible headache all day really. I always get them when I don't drink. Sometimes two a week, sometimes one a fortnight.

They are a sort of migraine or cluster headache. I mentioned this to a doctor many years ago and he said it is a tension headache. I wasn't feeling particularly tense. My theory is that the brain is physically readjusting to no booze but I have no real idea. I gave up drinking for 3 years once and they never go away and I never have them when drinking. Most odd!

I don't have the headache today and so I'm grateful for that. I have to go out into town tonight for an event, so I need to be clear- headed for that.

I had a non-alcoholic beer last night but I know one has to be careful as for some that can be a trigger and some of these beers have an element of alcohol still in them. They seem to have improved from when they first came out but I'm not advising anybody else should try them.

This time around I haven't had any cravings so far, just dealing with the mental and physical issues. I think this is because the major triggers are not present in my life, just at the moment. No birthdays, Christmas or other things to attend.

I had to book the doctors for next week and did so for Tuesday. Whilst booking it with the receptionist I didn't have to do the mental double -take and check with myself whether Tuesday was going to be a hangover day, thus I was able to say: "yes, Tuesday will be fine".

Keep up the good work, one and all!
Old 08-22-2019, 05:31 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

I've had some ups and downs and haven't been here in a LONG time but I'm sober for 48 hours now. I'm grateful for soberrecovery.com and for all of the people here. I wish you all a great day and a great weekend on the horizon!
Old 08-22-2019, 05:54 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Hello dear ElleDee.....so wonderful to see you again!! s
48 hours is sensational.....so happy for you!
Sending huge hugs your way. xxxxxx s

And good morning everyone. s

I have tension headaches from my neck and shoulder....I have a big issue there, and they always disappeared the second I started drinking. I know I need physio.....that would really help me. That's just me....I hope you can find out what is causing your migraines dear HW. s
Old 08-22-2019, 06:04 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Good Morning everyone! HW hope your headache clears up soon. I usually get headaches if I’m dehydrated or miss my coffee in the morning . Trojan Horse sounding positive and Diet Pepsi is certainly better! I’ve been on soda water and coffee this week. Patterson, good luck with quoting smoking! Are you able to wait a couple weeks to start until you are a little further into you sobriety from alcohol? I can’t imagine doing both at once although I am not a smoker quitting drinking is hard enough! Welcome back Elle!

Day 8 here. Starting to loose some of my “enthusiasm” but I will not drink today. Really unsure of what my plans are for today except to stay sober!

Have a great day everyone.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:23 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

I think after we get through the first week and start feeling better, the AV starts up with things like why was I doing this again? Are you sure you have a problem? It's Friday tomorrow and you deserve a break....

I see you having a wonderful weekend with your kids because you are well-rested and energised....the AV doesn't care about your kids..... s xx
Old 08-22-2019, 09:55 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

I'm re-committing to my sobriety again. I had five beautiful alcohol free months and then I let a "one drink is okay" mentality turn into three month bender. Drinking gets in the way of all my other goals in my life. I get stuck and go deeper into my self-loathing cycle. Well, no more. No thank you alcohol. Get the **** out of my life you devil (AKA "BOOZE).
Old 08-22-2019, 12:37 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

I have to post here to say today needs to be back to day 1. 69 days sober and now the last 7 days drinking all because of one moment of extreme stress..
Old 08-22-2019, 04:30 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back elledee,listae and red

D
Old 08-22-2019, 05:07 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Welcome to the newcomers to the class. It’s great to have you.

I had a good day, in that I didn’t drink. However, I experienced some stress and anxiety. I spent a lot of time today reading on here and, some threads, though truly moving, got me really down and depressed and fearful. And when I’m afraid, I drink. Especially if alcohol is the exact thing I’m afraid of 🤦🏽*♀️. Also, reading detailed drinking ‘escapades’ usually wakes up the AV for me... I have to be very very careful what I choose to read here.

Anyway, I got through day 15 by the skin of my teeth. I’d really like to ‘graduate’ this class; it’s never happened for me before. Of course, I’d really like to stay sober forever 😊.

Onwards...
Old 08-22-2019, 05:41 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Well it’s the end of day 8 for me. The whole day was definitely an off day but I remain sober. It is very isolating when the people around you have no clue what you are going through.

Heading into bed to watch some TV with a cold drink and a snack. I’ve found a nice glass I’ve never used that I quite like drinking from that makes my drink feel fancy which is a tiny little positive lol

Have a good night everyone
Love
Old 08-22-2019, 06:47 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Day 5. Feeling crappy from allergies but otherwise doing well. Welcome all newcomers!
Old 08-22-2019, 06:51 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Day 1 is tough right now. But I am resisting. I am not at all a religious person but I'm literally praying every hour: "Dear God: Please don't let me drink for the next hour." Praying. I know tomorrow will only be better, if I don't pick up today.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:26 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Welcome all newcomers to this class of August.
Elledee 48 hours is a great start, stick with us

listae love the phrase "Get the ***** our of my life you devil" I'm going to use that one when I need some reassuring self talk. I like your thinking, on day one one hour at a time. Smart

red you will get on another run of being sober, I know it.

kgirl happy you had a great day, I hate allergies as well.

To everyone else in the class keep moving forward one special dry moment at a time. They build on one another and eventually become a permanent memory of life without the "devil"

PS had a solid day without booze. Even getting a little bit of energy back.