Notices

Class of January 2019 part 6

Old 11-18-2019, 01:49 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  

I'm delighted for you SBTS you never have to go back to that crappy feeling again.

I'm doing well. Feeling a little bit apprehensive about my first sober Christmas, but overall I feel very positive. I'm looking forward to embarking on the new year a little happier, healthier and wealthier than last year lol.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:58 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

Just checking in to say hello. I feel like I have been coasting for a while and felt pretty comfortable in sobriety. Then I went for dinner for a friend's birthday on Saturday and remembered that I have to be vigilant. My friend ordered a cocktail and though I wasn't tempted to drink at all (I'm sort of appalled by the idea to be honest), I was a bit unsettled by how easy it would be to drink and burst my lovely, peaceful sobriety bubble.

Once the bubble is popped, you can't un-pop it, you know? And that is scary to me. Maybe a little bit of fear is necessary to stay sober.

Hope you are all well and are staying cosy. Very chilly here in Ireland xx
Old 11-26-2019, 07:38 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Hello!!
MAN, I've been dealing with the most dry, annoying cough of my life. It's been about 2 weeks now and I'm losing my mind. I'm gonna have to sit at my own private table for Thanksgiving 😜
Other than that I'm doing ok. Have had a couple costly car repairs back to back and used up my early Christmas funds already dealing with those. Our area of the U.S. is getting pounded with rough weather this week, but it's looking like most of it will miss us 🙂
Anyway, just checking in quick and hoping you're all well! My local grocery store just released a bunch of new sparkling San Pellegrino sodas. Those are going to be my party drinks this week 😎💚
-Z
Old 11-26-2019, 10:02 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you guys have a good Thanksgiving

Sophie I'm not scared of drinking again - I know for sure than everything I've worked for since 2007 would disappear if I did, so it's just not a logical thing for me to do anymore.

It would be like me deciding to try crack for the first time. Not a plausible situation

D
Old 11-28-2019, 02:30 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Zig!! A bad cough and bad news from the mechanic! I hope your week improves. Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy your San Pellegrino (jealous lol) x

Thanks Dee. The difference is that I don't have friends who use crack and have it within my reach on the dinner table. I'm afraid that I could momentarily forget all the reasons why I don't drink, lift a glass and in a split second be right back in the dreadful cycle. It's the ease with which it could happen that scares me.

But as you say, it wouldn't be a logical decision for me anymore. I try not to feel elitist and I never preach about not drinking, but the truth is that I find it pretty disgusting and find myself thinking about the negative effects alcohol must be having when I'm in the company of someone who is drinking. I will try to have more faith in my own self control and remember that I am in charge of my actions.

Love to you all and Happy Thanksgiving x
Old 11-28-2019, 11:14 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving all. Day 26 for me. I haven’t had a day 26 sober since the beginning of the year when I was in this class.

I can understand the fear Sophie. I was sober Sept 2012-Nov 2016 & never thought I would even consider drinking again. Then after over four years, my then-husband suggested maybe I could try again, drink normally again. I can’t believe I fell for it but I did... it wasn’t his fault, just the age old self deception wanting so badly to believe he was right.

Can I prevent myself from falling for something like that if it happens again? I’d like to say yes; I feel committed right now; but I don’t know for sure. I feel like I’m going to have to stay actively vigilant for a very long time, perhaps forever.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:49 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know it's different Sophie - I guess I messed up my message - my point was I'd never do crack and now alcohol has joined that list along with my other former companions tobacco and weed.

It took a while...but there's no reason to suggest you - and everyone else here - won't find that same surety either
Old 11-29-2019, 07:45 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  

I’m on my phone so I’ll be brief. SBTS you are fantastic and hopefully that experience has taught you never to trust that temptation again. Keep going ❤️

Dee I completely get what you mean. I will trust that I will get there. I never, ever want to drink again and it seems so unappealing now, but I’m prepared if those occasional fleeting thoughts to suggest that a drink is a good idea never completely go away. I’m ok with them as long as I’m ready and I know, deep down, that my life is better without alcohol.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:14 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Thanks Sophie

I do feel more secure now... I've been going through a shift in the last week or so, it's hard to explain. I feel good about this time and feel like I'm really done. I realized that in the past (including my 4+ year sobriety stint) I was always quitting because of fear of losing my romantic relationships, first my marriage and then this current one... and I think that's a good reason, but it wasn't good enough. That's why when my ex suggested I drink again after over 4 years, I jumped at the chance he was giving me... because I was sober for him and not for myself, so when he said he was OK with me drinking, my whole foundation for sobriety crumbled.

This time around, i really feel that I am sober for me. I am sober because I do not like the way alcohol makes me feel or what it does to my life. My partner is supportive, but I am not doing this for him. In fact, if he was not supportive of my sobriety, I would have to say we could not be together as sobriety is the #1 priority for me now.

I have to make sure I keep it there and stay in this mindset, but I finally feel like I am on the right track.

Day 32.

How are you guys doing?
Old 12-05-2019, 04:12 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Hello!
SBTS you sound amazing! I'm so glad you've hit this groove and are feeling like this is the time. Do it for you, absolutely first and foremost. It will make you that much better of a partner, friend, etc. as you go along 😎
I'm doing a little better. Still can't shake this annoying cough. 🤐
I had a fun Thanksgiving weekend. Lots of company and no desire at all to join in the drinking 👍 My buddy San Pellegrino kept me calm. Laughed a lot and was much more social than even recent get togethers.
Anyway, I hope everybody is doing great 🙂 Tortellini with alfredo and garlic bread is on the menu tonight.
adios! 💚✌💪
-Z
Old 12-06-2019, 06:55 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Hello friends

SBTS it sounds like you have really turned a corner. You're doing this for you because you deserve to be happy, healthy and sober. That's the only way you can have a healthy relationship anyway; you can have unconditional love because your boyfriend's feelings for you don't depend on anything but the lovely person you are. So proud of you, 32 days is amazing and what a way to head into the new year!

Zig your dinner sounds outrageously good. I might copy you and see if I could rustle up a creamy pasta dish of some kind. Might also go to the shops and get San Pellegrino because I feel like I'm cheating on it with sparkling water. Glad Thanksgiving went well, it is a huge achievement to get to the other side of it sober.

Lots of love to everyone
Old 12-13-2019, 01:32 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Oh man. I'm waking up to election results this morning grateful that I ignored all the posts about binge drinking to get through the stress of it all (some joking, some not so much).

Is it reasonable to count your first sober general election as a win?

Have a great day. May your coffee be strong and your political views respected lol. Peace and love
Old 12-13-2019, 02:15 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it probably is Sophie

D
Old 12-13-2019, 06:48 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Hola class!
Congrats on making it thru all the political sludge Sophie 😋
Here in Iowa it's insane. For some reason we go first when selecting candidates so we get everybody zig-zagging the state pretending they like us every 4 years LOL. We are bombarded with ads, signs, brochures, pins, etc. constantly. Ugh.
Anyway, things are pretty good with me! After the tornado in 2017, there are unfortunately a lot fewer trees in the neighborhood, but now you can see Christmas lights all across our little valley haha. Kind of a pretty site as I type this and watch for the pizza delivery. I helped my wife decorate the tree for the 1st time in years. Usually I'd be drinking and just offer my booze strength to lug up Christmas totes from the basement. It feels so good to be sober. I can't say it enough.
Have a great weekend everybody 💚
-Z
Old 12-16-2019, 03:34 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

I like your word 'sludge' Zig. You have hit the nail on the head lol.

Glad you are feeling Christmassy. I'm starting to feel festive too, and agree that it is so wonderful to be happily and comfortably sober. Honestly, it's the best gift I could ask for.

Old 12-19-2019, 07:29 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Hello all, just popping in to say I'm still sober. Even though I don't have a January date anymore, I was just thinking back and realized: I've basically been sober for 8 months out of 12 in 2019 (I was sober from mid-January to early July, and now November and God willing all of December). Plus from July-Oct there were a lot of days I didn't drink, even though there were some I did. I don't have a way to really count but I'd say I've probably only drank on maybe like 25 or so days out of the whole year. Not bad considering it would've been 365 before.

2020 goal: zero.
Old 12-21-2019, 02:41 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Hello there SBTS 😁 I agree, not a bad scorecard. What a great goal for 2020, I’m right there with you.

I had a dream that I drank last night for the first time in ages and I could not shake the feeling that it really happened. The relief of realising I was sober and cosy in bed was bliss.

Hope you all have a very happy Christmas. I will probably be sticking close as although I feel very comfortable in my sobriety, Christmas comes with a whole lot of family and stress to handle and this is my first time doing it without alcohol. I have stocked up on san pellegrino limonata and I have a couple of great books ready so I’m feeling content and ready for whatever the holidays have in store!
Old 12-21-2019, 03:51 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  
Administrator

Merry Christmas Sophie

D
Old 12-23-2019, 09:51 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas to me! I had to make an appointment today to have a root canal next week LOL *sobs*🎅
Have been in quite a bit of pain the last few days, but am on antibiotics and feeling calmer. I have pretty good teeth too, aside from this lil bastard molar in the back.
Anyway, I finished off the Christmas shopping today. Everything is wrapped, even have a jumbo container of dog treats waiting under the tree for my beasts 🙂.
We're heading to my sister's place tomorrow night for dinner and gifts. I am actually going to cheat on lovely Pellegrino with a 4 pack of Lime Perrier I found on sale 😋
Last year I remember downing 2 bloody Mary's and 6 or 7 beers before even going to the sibling gift swap. Then I continued to drink there and was sick on Christmas Day. The sun was shining in the windows, reflecting off of the snow and into my face and I was utterly miserable. How sad, wasteful and stupid to do to yourself over and over and over. I'm sober, content and grateful every day now. There's no going back.
Wishing you Sophie, SBTS, Dee and all that still may check in a wonderful Christmas and sober '20s
😎👍💚
-Z
Old 12-23-2019, 10:15 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good luck with the tooth zighoul

Happy Festive Season everyone!

D