Notices

Class of August 2018 Part 10

Old 04-21-2019, 03:45 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Happy Easter! Happy Passover! Happy Sunday!
Wishing you all a sober, strong day …
Old 04-21-2019, 06:44 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Happy Easter everyone!
Old 04-21-2019, 05:17 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  
Administrator

You too Bob

D
Old 04-22-2019, 03:02 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Hope you're all hanging in there. Hi Bob! Hi Dee!
Old 04-22-2019, 04:15 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.

I had a great weekend. Church and dinner with hubby and pups. Managed to avoid all extended family, who we love, but sometimes need a break from

My meds seem to have levels out too. I do need to call my doctor to see if he still wants me to switch to something different.

Hope your feeling better bekind.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 04-22-2019, 03:57 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Happy Easter Monday all. I am feeling better although I still have the vestiges of my cold.

I drove back up to the mountains today. Nice weather and not bad traffic. It was interesting seeing the avalanches that had come down. They are melting and revealing large trees they brought down last winter. One was all green with all the pine needles.

So will be doing spring work on the house and connecting with some friends. All the solitude can be a problem here. It is good that there is a family living in the apartment and that I am NOT drinking!!!
Old 04-22-2019, 10:55 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Monday morning

Which feels like a Sunday morning.

My daughter goes back today . It has been such a lovely, precious time with her. Just flew by way too soon. She managed to see a few of her friends in between and apart from that just spent time with us . At one stage we were all on the couch, with our blankies, and she and my husband fell asleep – I loved just being there with them and getting a small reminder of how it used to be when she was still in the house.

Yesterday was so disorganised. We had invited our friends and their 2 sons (twins, 10 yrs old) to join our family at the farm for the day. So lots of packing of food for the barbeque ( we call it a braai) , I made some oven veg and a potato bake to take. The dished were still warm and were transferred to my son’s car on wooden cutting boards for my and daughter’s laps – to hold on to on the dirt road leading to the farm – very bumpy.

H had a lovely bonfire going when we arrived, unpacked the car – cooler boxes etc- hid some easter eggs for the boys and then went for a drive to look at the cattle , new calfs and the new bull. All lovely, we still commented on what a perfect day it is – right on the river. They arrived and sat around talking . boys were kicking a ball around, did some target shooting and fishing. And like in the time it takes to tell you this – the most amazing storm rolled in from nowhere – huge dark clouds, howling wind , and cold.

So, everything back in the 3 cars, fire distinguished with a hose with no water pressure and then the flipping of coins as to who’s house we will be going to. Ended up at theirs. Played boardgames , ate very late , everyone was starving by then, and lots of wine and alcohol drunk.

Sorry for the long story – most of it not necessary – but the gist is, I spent a whole day and night surrounded by alcohol and not once , I promise, not even once did I have even a twinkling of feeling left out or hard done by because I couldn’t join in. I still had as much fun as they did, I laughed as much as they did, was as loud as they were and was sober to drive us home at midnight.

Had a hard time falling asleep because of my bedpartners snoring – but I knew not even elbowing him would make it stop. Fell asleep with a pillow over my head 😊 And this morning I feel fresh as a daisy.

What I did find different is how aware I have become of how much people drink. Not that I’ve now become a drink counter, but it is so scary to see them just having more and more and not once having anything non-alcoholic in between even. But the reason I am so aware is because that used to be me ! It felt great to write this: “That USED to be me” . Last night I felt for the first time that I am going to be okay. I know it is still early days , coming up 8 months, but I honestly felt if I could spend all those hours with them and feel totally happy not drinking, I think I’m going to be okay , at least regarding social situations.

Wow, what a ramble. Sorry ☹

Never posted this yesterday – it is now Tuesday morning

Lovely rainy day yesterday, movies, blankies and veggie curry. Lovely.
Today will be spent packing, odds and ends on admin from the office etc.

I don’t know if any of you have had to do this, but we had to have the talk with my daughter yesterday before she left. My brother in law is also our attorney, and they are joining us on this trip tomorrow to Mozambique– same flight. So he insisted we draw up a new Will and Testament – in the event that something happens – because we will all be together. It was horrible !!! Having to tell her what to do in such an event, where all our policies are, what fixed deposits and investments we have ------- ooooh, I hated it. But I suppose it is something that had to be done. Just one of those things that one doesn’t like addressing and thinking about.

Katy, I am sure you are having a ball with Boo!! Hope your dog’s nose isn’t too much out of joint.
Zoey , I always thought you are much younger, but you mentioned that your children are also grown now, so you must be more or less my age? And Matrac’s and Barbs’ and Alice.
Where is Alice? Must have had a busy weekend ?

Bee, glad you’re feeling somewhat better . Maybe the clean mountain air will do you good.

Hope you all made it through the Easter weekend unscathed and had a good time. Rooting for you all today. Sorry for the long double whammy post.

Lots of love like always XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-23-2019, 03:42 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Ayers, I am so struck by you story of the wonderful day with your daughter and others on the farm. Imagine … being sober so you can truly enjoy that day and evening. And not having any worries or regrets the next morning. Those are the moments when I really appreciate sobriety. The magical times that you are 100 percent present to appreciate! Thank you so much for sharing! (I'm 61, by the way … but I think I'm 25, and then shock myself when I catch a glimpse in the mirror … )
Hi Barbs, Bekind, Dee and everyone else!
Old 04-23-2019, 03:46 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Haha Zoey, I know that feeling so well - I also always think it cannot possibly be me looking back at me
Old 04-23-2019, 03:49 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

oh oh , I just saw my typo ..... I said we "distinguished" the fire !!!

I'm sure you all knew I meant "extinguished"
Old 04-23-2019, 03:52 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  
Administrator

we got it Ayers

D
Old 04-23-2019, 03:53 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

But in all fairness, it WAS a very distinguished-looking bonfire.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:24 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

i hope it wasn't something I said ?
Where ARE you all ?

I think my class is bunking - and no one told me
Old 04-23-2019, 12:40 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Yoo-hoo, Ayers! All is well!
Old 04-23-2019, 02:35 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Ayers, so glad you had such a wonderful Easter weekend and visit with your daughter. btw, I'm still laughing..."I think my class is bunking - and no one told me"

Zoey, for some reason, I also thought you were much younger, lol. Mirrors, ugh!!!

Bekind, so glad you are feeling better.

I too am enjoying being sober and fully present in my life
Old 04-23-2019, 08:37 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Oops, yep, I think I bunked a bit Ayers . . . .sorry about that. I now solemnly swear not to bunk anytime soon . . . is that a common phrase in South Africa?

I'm back to living the way too quiet life here in the mountains. Did get some digging in today. There are still patches of snow around but they are shrinking rapidly.

I spent a quiet evening sewing and watching Miss Fisher Mysteries. I find the whodunit so complex that I get pretty lost. However I like the costumes.

As I type this, I realize that I didn't crave wine at all tonight. I had dinner with my borrowed family (an amazing pasta alfredo) and happily drank lemonade. I know I could get back into it in the blink of an eye which is why I don't want to bunk out. You all are kind of my protection/reminder.

So tomorrow: fill our some financial paperwork, unplug the gutter heat tape, find some very fine sandpaper, sew and hopefully meet with the refridgerator repair dude.

Good night lovelies!
Old 04-23-2019, 10:04 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Wednesday morning

Quick check in before I leave for airport. If I am quiet till Sunday , it will be because the wifi is wonky on the island. Will check it out, maybe I'm lucky and will be able to log on.

Haha, yes , Bee, "bunking" is a SA word/term . And sometimes the class does a mass-bunk, so no one, or rather everyone is in trouble. Like a mass stay away

Still rainy here, and cold. I found it very difficult convincing myself to pack for very hot weather.

Missing Bonnie and Alice and Katy. Hope they are okay.

Bee, your day today sounds quite full !! Hope you get all done that you hope to do.

Thinking of you all and lots of love and hugs XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-24-2019, 02:56 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Bunking ... huh … I've learned something new. Can't wait to use the term. (Hope I don't have to, tho! I don't want to be 'bunked.')
Have a great trip, Ayers. Glad you're doing well Caramel. Hello Barbs and Bekind. It seems like at the moment, at least, we're all holding on … congrats to us all!
Happy Wednesday.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:50 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  

I'm enjoying /struggling with solitude. I did have a visit from a appliance repair guy who told me my fridge was dead (this demise was not wholly unexpected). He said he quit drinking 3 years ago so we had a bit of an AA meeting while lying on the kitchen floor diagnosing the mortal condition of the condenser.

I'm off to sew a seam, wash some cupboards and listen to some spanish. All while I wait for a phone call. Yeehaw!

Keep the faith all. Katy, Bonnie and Alice please un-bunk soon . . . I know, I'm probably wearing this thin but I did love it.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:17 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Hmm . . .yep, company is a bit thin here.

For a solitary day I had a pretty good one. I've been hacking away at sewing project which I contrarily love to do and then don't . . weird. Also had a friend I don't see often kidnap me for a long walk. Finally dinner with my borrowed family and a talk with the social worker who connected me with them. She is concerned that they are still here but it really has been a good thing all round.

Tomorrow, probably more of same with hopefully reviewing some paperwork.

Tony, Bob, David, Susie, Darkling, Mike, if any of you felt inclined to check back in and shore us all up, it would be much appreciated.