Notices

One Year & Over Part 67

Old 03-16-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Morning Overs!

FG,
You sound better too. Amazing when expected catastrophes fail to appear in sobriety. People seem to reflect their inner feelings in their external health many times. The problem with getting older is that it is permanent. I won't get better and get over it. But I marvel at most of it, and press on with more fun thoughts and deeds. Your MOP (Mother Of Partner) changed her health when she changed her mind. Or vice versa. Run with it.

Mags,
Some adapt well to retirement, others not so well. I think it is important to try completely new things. Volunteer or start a business for fun and profit. I have had no issues until the last two years when I was unhappy being "stuck" here. And once I decided that my Tesla stock was for this exactly I changed course. Now we have a new bright future sans high water marks below the knee!

CK!
How'd that winter blast affect you guys?

Sunny again today. Photon barrage unhindered by protective vapors of dihydrogen oxides.

Gotta go get the Baja and negotiate with the Subaru dealers. I may bow out and just wait until we get there to find a used one. I have all options open, and time to sell the two 2 wheel drive cars and truck here, or one there. Boring retirement? Nahh. Or to quote Alfred E. Neuman: "What? Me worry?"
Old 03-16-2019, 09:04 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs

Itchy, I think when hubby finds a routine he’ll be fine, or maybe a hobby. I think!

Have a good Sunday my friends
Old 03-16-2019, 10:49 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Do your best

Morning
Old 03-16-2019, 11:03 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Why yes it is Wolf.

Mags,
HMMV. (His Mileage May Vary)
Old 03-16-2019, 11:47 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Mags, I think it is especially hard for some men whom have done nothing but work all their lives to suddenly just give it up. For many of us, work is a self identity of whom we are, and we feel a little rudderless without it. As long as finances are good, and you folks stay healthy enough, I think he will come to enjoy his "Golden Years" that lie ahead.

Itchy, I am just guessing the the pricing on four wheel and all wheel vehicles would soften as the temperatures warm and the visions of snow and ice fade from people's minds? I imagine you have a multi month window to get a decent deal? I just got my annual auto issue from Consumer Reports and Subaru jumped to number one in overall performance and satisfaction. I will definitely look their direction when it comes time to add another new or used car. They ran through a period 8-10 years back where a lot of their engines burned excessive oil and the vehicles were unreliable and expensive to repair. I feel many auto makers have struggled over the past five years or so integrating hi tech successfully into their model lines. Honda, for instance, used to be rock solid in terms of reliability, but now struggle in the middle of the pack. Toyota the same way. Anyhow, it's fun to shop for a vehicle when you don't need a vehicle. You are literally in the driver's seat.

Have a good day all!
Old 03-17-2019, 12:44 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Mags it's vital for an active man to keep active into retirement. Did you check out the Men's Sheds in your area? If he's an organiser perhaps he could set one up! Or maybe some kind of volunteer work? There as so many small community projects local to us including a community garden. Or dog walking? The work is literally his mollusc right now!

Hi Wolfie!

Glad you had a good weeks FG!

Andy what's the news on a dog?

FBL are you rocking the pirate look or do you not need to keep it covered?

Plenty of options Itchy

Hugs all round
Old 03-17-2019, 01:31 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Hi to all the 'just dropping ins' good to see you and hear your news.

Toots the puppy/dog chatter has faded. As I guessed if we get a dog it will be mine to care for.

It's a nice sunny morning here. Have a good day everyone.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:26 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Magsie

Haha, toots, he is a parish councillor and helps out now again, litter picking events etc. That’s mainly to look after our village. He helps his parents out with bits and bobs too. I mentioned the man shed I bet he’s forgotten about it, I had! I’ll remind him. Thanks x

Star, he put into a pension at work for 40 odd years so we’re ok, my health not good but I get by. Just want him to be happy, in saying that he’s so much more relaxed than when he was working, that’s a good thing.

Thanks for all your input, it’s very useful
Old 03-17-2019, 03:26 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Big, profound, very tiring good day...post in Whiner's
Old 03-17-2019, 04:53 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

The days race by at Mach speed! Another Sunday. A wee bit of snow last night.

Sassy kitty is doing much better after taking her to a different vet who took her off most of the meds the previous vet had put her on; she now wears a pheromone collar. She is much more relaxed and snuggly even though deaf.

My back is much better after twice weekly physical therapy.

Have a good Sunday, Overs!
Old 03-17-2019, 05:18 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
FBL are you rocking the pirate look or do you not need to keep it covered?
Thankfully, no eye patch needed since the first couple of days. This whole experience has been a good lesson in patience!
Old 03-17-2019, 06:45 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sassy, pleased sassy kitty doing good. Sounds like the physio did wonders for your back! Take care xx

FBL, having to slow down really does test your patience and it can stress you out unless you accept it, I’ll vouch for that. Really pleased you’re coming on leaps and bounds.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:19 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Magsie

PJ, I checked out your post in whiners,
Old 03-18-2019, 12:30 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs

Have a good Monday, sun is coming through, and the wind has dropped considerably too xx
Old 03-18-2019, 12:45 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Best wishes for a good Monday also!
Old 03-18-2019, 12:53 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Good “morning”, Overs

Quiet here at this ridiculous hour to be up.

Have a good day!
Old 03-18-2019, 12:54 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Sassy that's great news about your back and Sassy Kitty.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:44 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sassy, are you awake extra early or is my clock all mixed up again...As per usual!
Old 03-18-2019, 05:25 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I saw my new psycho lady today. She thinks I am doing fine- with what I am doing, how doing it and what I look to do in the future. She asked if there was anything different I could do? I answered no, just keep at it- fortify the old resilience and keep on - no magic bullet- just hard work.

Not complaining, mind. To think what state I was in 3y ago- I have no complaints, just gratitude for life.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:33 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I agree Star,
Career military have a particularly tough time adapting to civilian life after a 20 plus years in the military. The day before I retired I was head of our largest training unit with 150 instructors I was tasked to lead. I had the authority to carry out those responsibilities. I could pick up a phone and give orders that must be obeyed. I was proud and my bearing was that of a professional warrior/trainer. The day after no one snapped to attention when I walked in a room, I was not armed or in charge of anything or anybody, and no longer was responsible for armories, weapons and ammo, vehicles and over a million dollars of just the grass cutting equipment. Combat vets deal with even more including, but not limited to, disabilities.

My love affair with Subaru started in 1979 when I was teaching at the USAF Military Academy in Colorado Springs from 1978-1981, and I bought a customized Subaru Brat. It outperformed my new Military issue Jeep CJ7 driving the mountain road behind the bullet backstops before we could fire, to be sure no tourists or hikers hopped our barriers and ignored our danger signs. Then in Germany we had a Subaru Station wagon in the early 90s. And a 2004 Subaru Forester I just bought here. Now the Subaru AWD Baha which I’m driving now.

Toots,
Options indeed!

Andy,
I had a feeling you guys were dropping the idea of a fur kid. Hey if you aren’t all in that’s likely best. Despite being near a rescue for Border Collies, I’d go for a more placid breed. There are plenty of gentle gorgeous dogs in every shelter looking for their forever home. If you are a neat nut, there are several breeds like the full size poodles, labradoodles, etc. Lots more easier breeds with no to very little shedding, great temperaments, few to no health issues. Get one a year old and potty trained and it’s much easier.

PJ,
I too read your posts in Whiners A. Hang in there bud.

FBL,
Seems as we get older everything becomes lessons in patience huh?

Sassy,
Glad Sassy cat is going to be fine! Back relief is something I know can make our year!

Well, Earthlink had malware and scams coming from their legacy websites so that’s why my website disappeared. They deleted them all and only when a legitimate user calls them they restore them just fine, so for those that have it and want to read my Blog-like “Newsletters From The Road” the website will be back up in a few days! YES!
Now we are living with piles in every room, the workshop, and all three bedrooms! Talk about a motivator!

We have seven sunny days forecast in a row, first time that many in a row with no rain since August 2018! I can mow in a few more days and put this house on the market as soon as I sort the tools in my workshop, sell the RV, diesel truck, Hyundai and my HHR with flames on it. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!