Notices

Class of November 2018 Part 4

Old 12-19-2018, 09:23 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Welcome back Summer.
Don't ever be ashamed to post, we have all been there many times. All we can do is keep trying.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:43 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

There’s no shame in struggling, summer. Welcome back.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:10 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

RAL - I am sorry you decided to drink. I thank you for being honest and posting about it. Seeing someone else post about wanting a drink, then drinking, then regretting it, helps us all make the choice not to drink next time.

summer welcome back! Everyone here is so supportive! There is no way I could do this without SR.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:38 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I think the exercises recommended by my physical therapist are making my back worse. ****, I can barely move without pain. He said to stop doing anything that makes it worse, so I might just stick with the walking for a while.

I won’t drink this time. The muscle relaxing benefits of drinking are minuscule compared to the costs. So now I’m just lying on my back on my living room floor because the hard surface feels pretty good. 😄

Anyway, that’s all, just posting to officially say I won’t drink.

How is everyone? Mechanic, how did today go? RAL, are you feeling better?
Old 12-19-2018, 01:39 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Day 24 - physically feeling good. I find the good feeling feeds that voice in my head telling me I could have a drink... I have fought it... So far...winning the 'war'. Good job to all winning the challenge. I am with you.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:01 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

RikerNY - great job on 24 days.

bonniefloyd - It sucks that your back pain is not improving. I know you are right though that drinking will not help the pain in the long run.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:23 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rd2quit View Post
RikerNY - great job on 24 days.

bonniefloyd - It sucks that your back pain is not improving. I know you are right though that drinking will not help the pain in the long run.
Ah, who needs alcohol. My 17-year-old son saw me on my back, shook his head, then brought me a heating pad and some tea. He also gave me some solid advice: “You should stop hurting your back.” Thanks dude. 😄

So how are you doing?
Old 12-19-2018, 02:28 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

I'm good, my second therapy appointment starts in 2 minutes. I'll update later 🙂
Old 12-19-2018, 02:53 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

I'm at day 1 Bonnie, I celebrated with miss Mechanic and I'm fine with it. I do feel pretty bad about telling everybody here my true feelings about this whole thing. I'm really undermining peoples resolve.

I just want to give some simple advice about your back. Listen to your body, don't ignore pain. Don't take painkillers, don't try to get through the day but instead stop and pause when it hurts, your muscles are screaming at you to listen to them. When your muscles are hurting they stop doing their job and then your spine is carrying your body, it can do that but as we get older it gets weaker too. You don't want what will happens when that goes wrong. Your muscles can heal and can be trained your spine can not, so when your back hurts, slow the F down and let it heal. Just take my word for it, stupid therapy is just a gimmick for folks that have small discomforts and not real problems. I've gotten to know you a little by now and you're no drama queen, at least I don't think so. Just stop when it hurts.

Kaily I'm so close to you, just on the other side of the Channel. You said you feel lonely sometimes but I got half a mind to drive over to that little island where you all drive on the wrong side of the road to give you a big hug.

Dee, what you do here is amazing. I don't know how many lives you've saved but it's got to be a lot. Every freaking thread I read on this site you're the voice of reason and you seem to keep track of everyone. You really are a saint.

Ral I don't even know what to say, I care is all, please keep posting ok?

Breakfree Hope you're doing ok.

This thread doesn't seem to be doing too great to me and I feel really bad about it.

Goodnight everyone.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:42 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi the mechanic - I wouldn't worry about undermining others resolve - my resolve is not dependent on other peoples actions and I hope the same is true here in this group

If you want to stop drinking - and by posting here I'm assuming you do - even if you're a little ambivalent right now you're always very welcome here man

Just be careful - everytime I went back to drinking, even infrequently everything always went great...until it didn't.

I finally learned there's no amount of time off the booze that can reset me and make me into a normal take it or leave it one glass kind of drinker.

D
Old 12-19-2018, 04:59 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Themechanic View Post
I read a lot of posts on this site and so many folks here talk about all that was lost and their enormous problems that seem insurmountable all related to their drinking and then their inability to control that. It's horrible and humbling to read but to be very fair I don't feel like I'm in the same league.
I heard a recovery podcast today that stated we should focus on the similarities of our stories rather than focus on our differences.
I dunno, but the sentiment resonated with me.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:10 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

It would be nice to have a teenager body again, right BF? Aches and pains suck. I am still treating tendinitis in my left forearm after doing trimming and raking about 45 days ago!

I am not feeling awesome but my general outlook is improving. Saw a friend today and he talked about how nice it was to have sunshine this past week... and I know how positively sunshine impacts my mood.

Yet, I couldn’t help but think back to last weekend when I basically didn’t see the sun for three days because I was sleeping the day away and isolating myself to recover from drinking the night before and deal with Day 1 anxiety!! That was really stupid of me!
Old 12-19-2018, 09:39 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Just checking in. My second therapy appointment went well. We talked a bit about this forum and how helpful it has been for me.

I just finished day 61. This is significant because this the longest I have ever gone without drinking since I started. I quit drinking for 2 months, 10 years ago, when I quit smoking cigarettes. However, that time I planned on two months and knew I would go back to drinking. Also, this is the first time totally sober. Last time I was smoking pot once or twice a week.

This sobriety thing is really getting easier. I am sure the timetable is different for everyone but I notice a huge difference. I have not had any significant temptations all week. I have a huge concern about relapsing though. I know that so many people relapse after significant time sober. I am trying to plan out how to avoid that. My therapist and I talked about it for a bit today. Of course she gave me some obvious advice. She said "you can always post to that forum you belong to, if it helps you stay sober and gives you accountability to not drink."
Old 12-19-2018, 11:56 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Morning all
Thanks for all your kind words and messages. I slept well last night and feel human again today. No it's not worth it, any of it.

Mechanic-did your house move go ok? I echo what you said about affecting others on here. Thanks Dee for saying that it's ok to post what we do.

I'm off to work no but jiust wanted to check in first.

Congrats to KAILY on 50 days
Old 12-20-2018, 01:03 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I'm glad your feeling better and posting again Ral. If none of us ever talk about when we slip it would be misleading and give the impression of being easy to get sober. We all need constant reminders of how hard it is.
Thanks for the Congats x

Well done 61 Days Rd2uit and 24 Days RikerNY

I'm waiting with excited anticipation for a great big hug to arrive at my door Themechanic.

Bonnie your son sounds lovely and kind-hope its not because it is nearly Christmas!!! He offers very good advice, don't hurt your back. Simple.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:58 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Rd2q — I’m so impressed with your 61 days! I’m so glad to hear it’s getting easier; it helps me keep my struggles in perspective, and if I can just wait things out, it’ll pass.

Kaily — happy 50 days! I’m toasting you with my mug of coffee.

Mechanic — thank you for the advice about my back. You make a lot of sense. I’ll take it slow and be careful. Also, I appreciate that you were honest about your thoughts on drinking; I think we can all understand.

TJ — the sunshine makes a big difference. I hope your outlook continues to improve.

Strength — what podcast do you listen to?

RAL — I’m so glad you’re feeling better. I know you can get right back on track.

Riker — 24 days — well done!
Old 12-20-2018, 04:08 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Day 3. Not much to report, as it’s early and I haven’t even had my 2nd cup of coffee.

Today’s plan:
— having my 2nd cup of coffee
— volunteering at the kid’s classroom Christmas party
— long walk (it’s the only thing that makes my back feel better)
— taking the kid skating
— not drinking
Old 12-20-2018, 04:33 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post

— long walk (it’s the only thing that makes my back feel better)

Have you tried swimming? Swimming lets you exercise with no impact. Baths also help. It takes the weight of your spine and lets the muscles relax.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:01 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Kaily - Congratulations

I'm glad everyone it doing well . It's the journey, not a destination that's important as they say. Even if you has a setback, you can learn from it that will give you strength in for the long haul.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:44 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Themechanic View Post
Have you tried swimming? Swimming lets you exercise with no impact. Baths also help. It takes the weight of your spine and lets the muscles relax.
I’m thinking about it. I’m an awful swimmer and I tend to sink, but my gym has those swimming treadmill things, whatever they’re called. I don’t think even I could manage to drown in one of those things. Could be worth a try.