Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 14

Old 12-29-2018, 07:09 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

You speak the truth SG.

The bass is Fender Squire Affinity series. I'm seeing it online (used) for $200 - $250. Seems to be a low end "beater" guitar. Way better than the entry model my son was looking to buy on Amazon.

I tooled with it for a minute or two. Don't see myself playing the bass ever. Not even the slightest interest, whereas when I pick at a 6 string, I wish I could play it.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:59 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Squire is the lower end Fender line of guitars. They are quality instruments, mainly assembled in Mexico to save costs and they use less expensive wood. Definitely the place to start until he becomes Jaco Pastorius .
Old 12-30-2018, 02:20 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can let go of my resentment now I know its a Squier, Inc
Squiers are good solid entry level axes - good choice

D
Old 12-30-2018, 05:45 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
Squire is the lower end Fender line of guitars. They are quality instruments, mainly assembled in Mexico to save costs and they use less expensive wood. Definitely the place to start until he becomes Jaco Pastorius .
Or his Fave...Les Claypool.

Yes. I am glad to have found a good entry point for him. Should have good resale vaue too if he takes care of it. Not much chance of that though from a 15yr old boy. Although he does take good care of his drum set.

I've got one more day then I see my boys. I'm excited. I've got my key code for the AirBnB I rented and ready to go. Already planning my next trip with them. I'm thinking of taking them down to FL right when school gets out in April. Wheather should be good.

My Mom spends money on them like she wipes her butt with $100 bills. All I need to worry about is getting them there. I'm seriously considering driving since by then, all three of us will be drivers.

I think that would be a good experience as they haven't done long trips alone. My oldest son keep delaying getting his license. I have no idea why. He says so that he doesn't have to take the test? He's 18 and only has temps. That's crazy in my mind. My youngest took the test as soon as he could but failed.

So yeah...would be good experience I believe driving close to 17hrs. If I take 10 days off then drive it on two both ways, that could leave 5 days in FL and still one day off to myself. Fortunately I can do that at Staples. Most retailers wont let you take both weekends off at either end.

My only reservation is cost. I think it would be cheaper to fly TBH. I'll crunch some numbers.

Man...last thing...
Ran into a gent in the Noob forum who is almost where I was just before I quit. Got kicked out of house by mrs (taken back same day), waking up at night in sweats. He seems to be 80% there.

Just reminds me of several things:

- There was a time when every minute I wasn't drunk was hell. Pure hell. Sure was hard to quit when drinking was the only way I could avoid hell. Had to REALLY commit to walking through the fire there. That was tough. Real tough. Just making the decision. Never mind actually following through with it.

- Brought me back to when alcohol was literally the only solution I had to problems and was the only thing that motivated me, gave me courage, or made me "happy". It's crazy how much it hi-jacked my mind. Thinking back, it was hard AF (sorry Dee..nothing else describes as well) to relearn basic autonomic responses.

Glad to be sober with you guys as we cross the line to 4yrs
Old 12-31-2018, 02:45 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I have become a big Les Claypool fan. I missed Primus in their heyday, but am exploring their music now. Les Claypool's Flying Frog Brigade has the most incredible note for note live rendition of Pink Floyd's" Animals "album, my favorite Floyd. It's been a favorite of mine for years. He plays lead bass lines that are amazing. Definitely worth a listen.

My 13 year old daughter is having at least one friend over for a sleep over tonight. I am sure they will be awake long past midnight, though I doubt that I will.

Best wishes for a great beginning to 2019!
Old 12-31-2018, 02:53 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

I like that Les does faithful yet different renditions of Floyd

D
Old 12-31-2018, 04:56 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hoping you all have a great new year. Speaking of second hand instruments, I just picked up an early 90's Washburn guitar for 100€ on eBay. Maybe a little nostalgia there? I'm going to fix it up and leave it lying around the house in case either of my kids take an interest. I'd like that.

So, onward into 2019 tomorrow. Good to still be on the wagon and enjoying life. Thankful every day!

Hope you guys have a happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2018, 03:45 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good one guys!

D
Old 01-01-2019, 07:46 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Good score with the guitar Amp!

It's great waking up hangover free once again on New Years!

Happy 2019 all!
Old 01-07-2019, 12:52 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hey guys! I'm back to work tomorrow after my Christmas break.

Feeling lazy about it but the best thing about working in education has to be the long holidays!

I've been really happy to spend another Christmas sober. Seemed to be easier this year because I hardly regretted not being able to drink. Some days it seems hard to believe that drink once ruled my life but it certainly did. No room for complacency here!

Hoping you are all well!

A
Old 01-08-2019, 04:30 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Welcome back to work Amp! I hope you got recharged a bit over your downtime.

I have a friend who also works at a university and enjoyed weeks off over the holiday. I can't even imagine getting multiple weeks off over a holiday season. That's the difference between education and retail I guess.

I agree that this Christmas was by far the easiest in terms of regret. There was only a few brief moments when I even thought about drinking. I find that the further along I go, the less I remember the so called good times drinking, and the more I remember the brutal final years of abuse.

I have continued with trying to learn chords on my beater acoustic guitar. Since I have stuck with learning guitar to this point, I am thinking of moving up to a better beginner style guitar. Originally, I thought I would go electric, but now I am leaning towards an acoustic. I love the ability to just pick up and strum a few chords without the setup of an electric. I am finding the wider fret board makes it easier to hit chords, though the finger stretches are longer. I want something that will sound decent, and be playable for a few years if I actually stick with it. Reading numerous reviews, it seems the Yamaha FG 800 series is a solid line of acoustic guitars. I am probably looking to spend $200-$300 dollars. I have received gift cards over the holidays to the local Guitar Center, so I don't have to go super cheap. Any opinions Amp and Dee on good value acoustics for a rank beginner?

Have a good day!
Old 01-08-2019, 04:39 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I have one of these as my back up acoustic. It sounds great and I love it. A lot of people assume I would only have top end guitars around and remark on how playable it is and how good it sounds. I always laugh because it's the cheapest Fender you can get. Either way, once you buy it (if you go that way) spend the extra 25€ on a pro-set up as mine wasn't very playable till I got my tech to set it up. Now it's great!

Last edited by Dee74; 01-08-2019 at 05:18 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:05 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Thanks for the tip Amp!
Old 01-08-2019, 05:19 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Administrator

Amp I had to replace your link with a You Tube review of the same guitar as we can't have commercial links.

D
Old 01-08-2019, 05:25 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Ok, thanks Dee. Sorry about that
Old 01-08-2019, 07:52 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

"... less I remember the so called good times drinking, and the more I remember the brutal final years of abuse"

Yup. I have a funny feeling the memory of the brutal years will stick around a while. At a minimum, I believe, we'll summarize the experience into a shorter but powerful memory.

I think it says alot about how "easily" the good times are forgotten. They simply were not real.

I'm appreciating that mental shift since when I first living sober, I literally didn't think it was possible tobhsbr good times again. Well.. Deep inside I had faith that I would have good times again. But man, that faith sure was hard to believe and didn't carry that much hope early on.

I'm wondering how much of that was chemical (dopamine) vs subconscious ego's response to change. I'd have to assume a healthy mix of both.

Not much going on with music ATM. Work is taking up much of my time due to the profit plan I needed to make and roll out in my store.

Most personal time is spent on spiritual growth via A Course In Miracles. I even stopped going to the gym.

Life will be better after 1/23 when I return from visiting corporate. I also have the RVP visiting my store next week. Trying to be prepared mentally and physically for that visit as well.

May sound stressful, and well it is. But it's absolutely manageable. I'm just now realizing how well I'm handling all that's going on and still putting priority to personal growth in the mix of it all.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:41 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by Incontrol15 View Post
"...

I think it says alot about how "easily" the good times are forgotten. They simply were not real.
How true that is!

Good luck Inc getting ready for the RVP visit and profit plan presentation. How did your store and the company overall fare over the holiday season?

Spent the first day of my weekend writing employee reviews. The company has dumbed down the process to expedite things. Employees either meet standards and get a predetermined raise, or they don't meet, and don't get a raise. Then I write a paragraph explaining why and setting upcoming goals. Previously, everyone was graded on a page long checklist by the management team, and a final number was determined. High scorers got higher raises, lower scorers got reduced increases. Now, the highest performers in the store get the same raise as the person who just barely qualified for a raise. It is definitely a morale killer for the most productive employees, getting the same raise as the most average worker. It is what it is. Smarter people than me are hopefully running my company.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:41 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I hope the RVP visit goes well Inc.

Crazy things happening back on your home island Amp. It must be hard on you and your family going through this.

Keep plugging along guys!
Old 01-16-2019, 10:36 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

It's certainly a tough time! I've seen my European citizenship (which is a big part of my identity and livelihood) and basic rights threatened by a vote that I wasn't even able to participate in. It affects different people in different ways as you can see on this link, but none of it is good if you live outside (and if you live inside probably) the UK:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...RbExAnwu9K0-8k

I'm applying for Spanish nationality but the paperwork mountain, not to mention the expense, is monumental.

Anyway, trying to stay philosophical about it. No use in worrying about the things you can't change, etc...

Hoping you guys are well!
Old 01-17-2019, 07:04 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Amp, how long of a process is it applying for Spanish nationality? Seems like that is your only option at this point. Ugh!