The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #7

Old 07-25-2018, 09:33 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Bye, Cour!
Old 07-26-2018, 01:35 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Safe travels Courage!

I’m beginning the search for another new/used car on a budget since my son will start driving soon. How do you like your Corolla FBL in the Wisconsin winters? Do you use snow tires with it? Basically looking for another commuter type car that can get me through the random snow and ever present black ice of local winters. Any experiences with AWD vehicles? Seems as though they might help one to get going in bad weather but not helpful when braking or steering.

Trying to more consistently exercise again. I was fanatical about it while drinking to justify all my alcohol calories I was consuming. I am just exhausted all the time and hoping it will help some.

Enjoy the day all!
Old 07-26-2018, 03:51 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

You too, SG.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:20 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Have a nice trip, Courage!

Star, I love my Corolla. Most reliable car I've ever owned. No snow tires. Handles just fine as is, but then I'm a pretty cautious driver, especially in the winter. Has a skid warning light that goes off if I start to slide even a bit.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:12 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Sg - I can relate to feeling tired. Last night I was typing a reply and fell asleep on the couch. At 6 pm!!!!

Exercise really does provide a nice boost. Finding time in a busy work and family schedule is a challenge!

I’m taking courage’s advice to hang in. It’s not “like me” to be in neutral and melancholy.

It’s been a trying week. I tried to just sort of stay in my feelings and avoid distracting myself. I was able to see some of the good things about the past several days and comfort myself over some of the harder things.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:47 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Glee
Old 07-29-2018, 08:20 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
p***enger

I took 3 days at the beach w/my mate, demonstrating our determination to have more fun. But it didn't take. Except 1 or 2 moments, the usually-fun things fell flat. I could fret over why and blame other people or myself all over the place, which is what I would have done a few years ago. Now I accept that there isn't someone at fault behind every minor or major blow. And it's not my job to fix it or flog myself on its account.

Back to the book. I brought a hard copy of what I have so far & a) it's not as bad as I feared and 2) I had some good ideas for improving it.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:00 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

That’s terrific about the book!

It’s a bummer about the beach disappointment.

Maybe in a few months you’ll be able to look back at it as a comedy of errors and share a laugh.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:53 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Courage, FWIW, I hate the beach. Would rather spend some time in the woods, LOL!
Old 07-30-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hi, POST's, nothing new here: work, gym, activism, dating...oh, I decided to go full-on veggie recently. Not my prez coming to Tampa tomorrow and we made protest signs all day yesterday. Was fun hangin' with like-minded.

BTW, I'm not pushing any political agenda, just facts about my day and MY position. Someone once told me to apologize for the way I felt about an individual on here one time...can't do that...nor would I ever ask you to.

Cour, I've been told that when I stop looking for a mate, I'll find her. That might apply to fun at the beach, too? Congrats on book progress.

Sad news about your co-worker, SG.

FBL, what is that elusive card? Best bargain buy to date? Details, please.

GG, I think of you and how brave you are in sharing your experience, strength, and hope on your journey. Thank you for being you!

Glee, wishing you success in your personal and professional goals for the week.

Off to sleigh dragons. Have a good one, all.

Carlos
Old 07-30-2018, 07:38 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

You too, Carlos.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:14 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Originally Posted by IWLSAST View Post
FBL, what is that elusive card? Best bargain buy to date? Details, please.
Just about every card I'm looking for is out there, it's the price on some that holds me back. My most wanted is the 1970-71 Topps Pete Maravich "tall boy" basketball rookie card. Nice ones go for around $300, but even ones in bad shape can go for $150-200. I thought I had a real nice one on Ebay a few months ago for $175, but someone outbid me at the last second and got it for $185. I have trouble justifying spending so much on a little piece of cardboard that cost pennies when new.

My best bargain was probably a real nice 1975 Robin Yount rookie card that a dealer at a show wanted $25 on, but I talked him down to $20. That card, in that shape, usually goes for around $40.

As with most collecting hobbies, the fun is in the hunt!
Old 07-30-2018, 04:41 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
I could fret over why and blame other people or myself all over the place, which is what I would have done a few years ago. Now I accept that there isn't someone at fault behind every minor or major blow. And it's not my job to fix it or flog myself on its account.
Nice approach.

Last week I had to deliver a final written warning to someone with Parkinson’s. This week I have to deliver one to someone who has a family to support. I’ve been all.twisted.up with stress, alternately trying to be upset with myself about the warnings, or trying to place blame on others for them.

One of my friends read a self help book about starting off her day well. It inspired me this morning to set my intention to be grateful, nice, humble, make healthy food choices, and be focused.

Fact is, something Dee once said came to mind: something to the effect of, he found peace when he stopped thinking the fate of the world laid in his hands.

After getting over being upset over folks illnesses and behaviors, over which I have no contol and which are not intended to hurt me, I actually craved .... a workout. Not booze, not sweets, but sweat!

Being able to get out of my head is such a blessing and the miracle of recovery.

Thanks Courage.

Fbl - The hunt is the best part, but getting those elusive parts of a collection is very sweet.

Carlos - Good to hear from you. Enjoy your activism - and veggies.

I hope everyone’s doing well!
Old 07-30-2018, 04:48 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

That’s wonderful, Glee. I will pray that you have fairness, mercy, and firmness when it comes to doing what you have been charged to do.

There is no reason why your conscience shouldn’t be clear!
Old 07-30-2018, 05:52 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Administrator

I still don't regret stepping down as General Manager Of The Universe, Glee

Wishing you peace with the tough parts of your job.
D
Old 07-31-2018, 07:09 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Glee, that is probably the worst part of the management gig. On Saturday, I had to deliver two written warnings, one in which I wasn't involved with either the incident or the person whom wrote it(my boss handed it to me Friday and told me to deliver it Saturday, when he was off.) That one was an older worker and went well. The other involved a younger, somewhat disengaged individual whom suddenly showed some passion when I delivered the warning. I showed him on the computer the shifts he missed, then he made me dig up those day's paper employee logs to show that he was missing from his shifts. If some of these folks showed half the determination in their job performance that they exhibit when handed a written warning, there would not be a problem in the first place. I had to terminate a talented but attendance challenged younger employee last month and the first thing out of her mouth was " I need this job." I think she had drinking issues behind the attendance problems, but I can't bring that forth if they don't first. I too stand behind Dee's wise words. Being General Manager of the Universe is not a great position to hold.

Courage, sorry your time away did not spark the memories you were hoping for. I have found since quitting drinking, that old memories can, for the most part, no longer be sparked again. Perhaps because there was always so much drinking behind those memories. I newfound goal is to try to create new memories that will be the ones I hope to repeat down the line.

Carlos, I love the activism and enthusiasm you have. If folks don't get excited and vote this fall, we will be in a dangerous position for a long time here. We desperately need checks and balances in politics and life in general.

Pistol Pete Maravich was an amazing basketball player whom had an incredible points per game average decades before the 3 pointer came to the NBA. Imagine his numbers if all those twos were threes FBL!

Kathy, when are you headed to Wildwood?

I had one of those frustrating encounters with the medical system that drive me nuts. I went to get a prescription refilled that I have been on for years, and I just had blood work completed that my doctor signed off on. The office called a couple of weeks back and said that they could not refill my script unless the doctor saw me. So I made an appointment for yesterday, and arrived 15 minutes beforehand as they insist upon. One hour later, I saw my doctor for approximately three minutes, to renew my prescription and tell me to come back in six months. I like my doctor and the office, but they constantly are over scheduled and running behind. All it would take would be a phone call to a patient saying that they are running behind, come in a little later to avoid such a long wait. I know that will never happen. At least we all have smart phones to amuse ourselves nowadays.

Have a good day all!
Old 07-31-2018, 09:06 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Sorry about the maddening medical experience, SG.

If all goes well, I will head up to Wildwood Crest next Wednesday.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:50 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Gilmer - Such a treat to hear from you. How are you doing? How are you feeling?
Old 07-31-2018, 05:01 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I’ve had better days.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:52 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
p***enger

Why have I been all and lately when I think of the Power of Sobriety Thread?

In the spirit of the original FIST, and in order to, if not maintain the insanity I survived, at least keep from succumbing to the insanity all around us ...

...whatever your political persuasions or religious sect, I don't wanna know.

My *own* free speech is all this is.

& my use of it here is done!