Notices

Class of May 2018 Part 2

Old 05-30-2018, 02:08 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
formerly luvSOBERlife

Originally Posted by calmself View Post
Awesome thoughts and words, DistortedMe. Our brain bookmarks the level of drinking when we quit and quickly takes us there when we start back, irrespective of the sober time in between. Also, the neural pathways we create only get wider as we give into the cravings. This reinforces the habit and makes it very difficult to quit. Also, these pathways never get fully closed, more like blocked. You start again, you open the entire road with all its lanes.
I literally learn something new everyday. Thanks calmself. More great knowledge to help keep me on the right course. DO NOT GIVE IN TO THOSE CRAVINGS!!
Old 05-30-2018, 02:38 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Hi all, so sorry it has been a while - I'm still sober, but have been dealing with being sober by basically staring into space and browsing twitter and not really putting any effort into life. Slowly pushing through that and hoping to come out of the other end soon.

MantaLady and SurvivorK - I am so in awe of you both. I have fallen off the wagon more times than I can possibly count. And every time I have? I've run away from these forums for months or even years on end, because the only thing harder than not drinking is facing myself after I've drunk again. You are both back here, learning from what went wrong, and trying again. That's resilience. That's strength - not weakness.

You can do this, we know you can xxx
Old 05-30-2018, 02:44 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Just woke up, feel like hell
Old 05-30-2018, 03:05 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Welcome back Manta! Glad you're here. Hope you tossed the booze.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:09 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

That happened so quickly, one minute ok next minute not. Tried calling someone but that didn’t work. Story of my life lol, only person I can rely on is me! Must do better! Thanks to everyone for trying to talk me down xx
Old 05-30-2018, 03:36 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

I'm sorry the person you called let you down. But I think you know that the only one who can make you drink and stop you from drinking is you. Or at least, that's a lesson I'm beginning to learn myself, the hard way, after so many relapses. Hang in there!
Old 05-30-2018, 03:52 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I let me down simple as I guess, I drank, no one forced me to. I absolutely knew it at the time. Waking up with my pensioner cat asleep on me, big fat arthritic arms wrapped round me, he cares lol. He isn’t a super cuddly cat but the way he is sat on me now, well, he knows I am sure!. I woke up on the sofa, empty bottle of wine and empty small bottle of vodka, no idea how much vodka I drank as bottle was tipped over. Checked my phone, had a 20 min call to my mum I can’t recall, so have to have that conversation now.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:37 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  
formerly luvSOBERlife

Originally Posted by thecompanykept View Post
Hi all, so sorry it has been a while - I'm still sober, but have been dealing with being sober by basically staring into space and browsing twitter and not really putting any effort into life. Slowly pushing through that and hoping to come out of the other end soon.

MantaLady and SurvivorK - I am so in awe of you both. I have fallen off the wagon more times than I can possibly count. And every time I have? I've run away from these forums for months or even years on end, because the only thing harder than not drinking is facing myself after I've drunk again. You are both back here, learning from what went wrong, and trying again. That's resilience. That's strength - not weakness.

Welcome back company! Glad to hear you're still sober. I was just reading in another thread about someone who has yet to create a new life without drinking. He's just going through his life wandering, not drinking instead of living without drinking, if that makes any sense. It makes me think a lot. I need to create a new life without drinking. After all, it was a new dawn the day we stopped drinking. We have to create a new, better day now.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:41 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  
formerly luvSOBERlife

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
I let me down simple as I guess, I drank, no one forced me to. I absolutely knew it at the time. Waking up with my pensioner cat asleep on me, big fat arthritic arms wrapped round me, he cares lol. He isn’t a super cuddly cat but the way he is sat on me now, well, he knows I am sure!. I woke up on the sofa, empty bottle of wine and empty small bottle of vodka, no idea how much vodka I drank as bottle was tipped over. Checked my phone, had a 20 min call to my mum I can’t recall, so have to have that conversation now.
The best thing about sobriety is only I can keep myself from drinking again. It simplifies things a lot. Unfortunately, the worst thing about sobriety is also that I, and I alone, have to be the one that keeps me from ever drinking again. Picking up the booze again is the same as staring down the barrel of a gun for us, but I am literally the only one who can stop me. Not fun when I'm at my weakest.

It doesn't always work, and it doesn't always come to mind, but I try to remember that the farther away I get from my addictions, the easier it gets. Both mentally and physically.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:11 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you drank MantaLady, but pleased you're back.

Take a moment tho - consider what a low life scum jerk your addicted voice is to take something that upset you so profoundly and reduce it to a reason for drinking.

You deserve better than that - we all do.

One of the first things I learned was that I was stronger and more capable than I knew.

I spent so many years running away in terror from things in my past and old feelings.

I faced them sober - and I'm glad - I've grown exponentially because of that.

I have a lot of memories like yours in the office. A lot of jolly japes were had at my expense

But I'm not 17 anymore. Everything is OK now

D
Old 05-30-2018, 05:17 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back thecompanykept and welcome sokatuie

congrats on your milestones primavito distortedme willow lori and anyone else celebrating a milestone

D
Old 05-30-2018, 05:29 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, start of day 18. About to head to the hospital to see how Dad is. No desire to drink, thank goodness. Too focused on family crisis and supporting some of my family members having meltdowns...

Mantalady we’ve got your back. We’re all in the same boat here. We’ve all messed up more times than we can count. That’s why we’re here. Because we’ve tried to stop drinking and we’ve been unsuccessful. We’ve slipped, relapsed, many times. Please don’t beat yourself up, we’re all struggling with the AV for various reasons and we’ve all messed up. Otherwise we wouldn’t be here.

You’ve been such a support to so many of us. Let us support you too. You can do this. We’re here for you. Yesterday is over. Today is what is important. One day at a time.

And I agree with distortedme, who has so many words of wisdom to share (thanks Distortedme!) I’ve cried my eyes out so many times. But you’re so giving and caring and supportive Mantalady. We need you. And you need us. We’re all in this together. It’s teamwork and we all help each other.

That sober bus? As you said yourself recently, you just got off at an earlier stop and made a slight detour, but you’ve made your way forward to the next stop. We’re all holding out our hands to help you get back on the sober bus. We’re here to help. Sending you a big hug xo

We are stronger than we know.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:32 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Mantalady- we must be on the same wavelength cause I drank last night too. It's so weird how I can be fully committed for days and days and then suddenly, before I even know what's happening I'm at the store buying a bottle. Then back home on the patio with my glass.

Ah well, I took a shower had a ton of VERY strong tea and enjoyed the sun.

All we have is today.

p.s. the past is always what trips me up too. sometimes it's just too much to handle and it overwhelms me. Like a tidal wave.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:37 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thecompanykept View Post

So glad to hear you are sober companykept, doing whatever is necessary to stay sober. Keep it up. When I went to treatment at Hazelden BettyFord it took me 2 weeks to feel somewhat normal, 30 days was good, and then I tried best I could after that. You can do that!! Thank you for the compliment on coming back even after relapses. I normally would never come back, too ashamed but this group understands I feel connected and supported. And that’s not normally me. I just know I made it a long time once sober and happy- I fricken want to get there and will hold myself accountable here until I feel I’m on my way. And then share that and be there to route all of us on. Don’t post anything twitter that will get you fired or do any ambien twittering...
Old 05-30-2018, 05:44 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

On our way back!

Originally Posted by rjyerkes View Post
Mantalady- we must be on the same wavelength cause I drank last night too. It's so weird how I can be fully committed for days and days and then suddenly, before I even know what's happening I'm at the store buying a bottle. Then back home on the patio with my glass.

Ah well, I took a shower had a ton of VERY strong tea and enjoyed the sun.

All we have is today.

p.s. the past is always what trips me up too. sometimes it's just too much to handle and it overwhelms me. Like a tidal wave.
Did the same thing Saturday- was good - someone stopped my with a sangria and I was like what the hell, I can have a glass, then I watered it down with 7up, pretty soon it was a deep red wine bottle, than Bacardi limon, then passed out... but here we are - dusting our boots off as one said and committed again, cause all we have is today!

Rest today Mantalady- and begin again!
Old 05-30-2018, 06:43 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back to you too rjyerkes

I really had to take the option of drinking off the table.
It was no longer a viable solution for anything for me.

Accepting that forced me to look for other solutions to my very real problems.

D
Old 05-30-2018, 08:44 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

The AV was a really strong earlier. I actually envisioned opening up a bottle of wine and having some, and the AV was pleased. But I thought well I’m just going to have some crackers and sit down, and read a book for a few minutes .

I picked up my phone and i played a word game, and I thought to myself how nasty well I feel when I wake up tomorrow morning if I have a drink.

Then, it was so weird I get so tired I fell asleep at 6:15 PM and talk up at 9 PM tonight . To my wonderful amazement, I slept through my bewitching time! And the AV went away!

I was successful in delaying and then squashing that AV voice!

I’m looking forward to Day three.

Rjyerkes. Glad you’re back. Survivor k

In 1987 I really really really wanted to be a non-smoker. And they really really wanted not to be a slave to the cigarettes .

And now I really really really want to not be a drinker anymore. I do not want to be a slave to alcohol, and I do not want to die from liver failure. It is a very very nasty way to go.

It took me several times to quit smoking before I did it for good. And in my mind I’m going to do the best I canTo make this time my last time of quitting alcohol

Good night everyone 10:43 PM here in the Midwest

Free
Old 05-30-2018, 08:49 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Oops. Duplicate

D. I don’t understand. May 2018 part 3.?

Last edited by Free2bme888; 05-30-2018 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 05-30-2018, 08:51 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just for anyone new to SR

we move this thread at the end of the month so that the new monthly thread (June 2018) can take its place here in Newcomers forum.This thread stays intact, but moves to the Daily Support forum.

Some members, especially those struggling, often prefer to move to June, but there's no rule about that at all

I wanted to let everyone know you're all very welcome to keep posting in this thread.

It will keep going

D
Old 05-31-2018, 02:36 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Hi guys, quick update for the end of the month. Today is coming to an end and today is Day 17.
I've been really busy with work which is good for my mental health and for the wallet. So my updates of late have been near on nonexistent.
Hopefully I'll get a chance to be more active in the June thread.

Hope everyones going well!