Notices

Class Of March 2018 Support Thread - Part Three

Old 04-05-2018, 08:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome Dave!
Old 04-05-2018, 08:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by goodbyeevan View Post
SO grateful to be here with y'all and not still stuck in the nightmare i was living in. It may not have been heroin or meth or crack but it was still a living hell. For anyone struggling, please stay at it. Keep coming back. Keep trying your dangdest (?) to beat this thing. Every day is a victory.
So good man!
Old 04-05-2018, 08:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Alright Lasty

Its Alright - think Im gonna make it
Think it might - just work out this time.

A tune
Regards
Dave 🤠
Old 04-05-2018, 08:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Personally LHW I think of SR as a necessity in early recovery.

If you do go technology free, maybe have a little unspoken get out clause for yourself that you'll check back in here if you need to?

D
Old 04-06-2018, 11:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm trying to enjoy my day off since I've got to work the next 7 in a row. Just running errands, chores, and reading. One of my kids has a school carnival this evening and I have to work a couple of shifts there. I always joked that they needed a bar at this thing to help the adults survive it. Not saying that this year.

I was so tired last night after work. I tried to stay up and watch a show with my husband, but I was conked out before 10. That never happens! I slept over 9 hours last night. Hopefully, that will help with the marathon work week.

Hope you're all out there enjoying your sober time. I know I was thankful to wake up sober after my long sleep. I used to consider myself a night owl because I just stayed up late to drink more. Good riddance!
Old 04-06-2018, 12:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Dee - absolutely! I would still check in here if need be!!!!! I just might not post daily stuff that I’m doing, things like that if we all do it.

The idea is still floating around our team anyway. One guy is having a very hard time with the thought of not checking emails on a hourly basis. It is kind of amazing how dependent we have all become on stuff like this. I even suggested that perhaps we just don’t check emails from our phone, we wait until we get to the office and use our desktop PC. We will see. Might be fun, maybe not.

And I remember very clearly the days of having to find a pay phone while on the road to call in to the secretary for phone messages!!!

LHW
Old 04-06-2018, 12:33 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Evening ...
Just checking in
6 weeks today !
One day behind you Jay Tee !
I went out with a group of girlfriends...first time since quitting ...
I drove ..best option ..no need to give reasons why I wasn't drinking.
On a positive note ..I had quite a few compliments on how radiant my skin was looking & noticed I'd lost abit of weight !
Yay positive !
Have a Great Weekend xx
Old 04-06-2018, 01:30 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Way to go Rowlands! Congrats on 6 weeks!

Hope you all have a good weekend. Me, I'm just trying to get rid of this cold!
Old 04-06-2018, 04:19 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Checking in. My life coach session was 2 hours last night, on FaceTime. It was exhausting, but I got some perspective. I got to bed early. The session ended at around 9:10 and I was in bed at 10.

Evan - Hiking when you get sober becomes an entirely new experience. It’s magical. Nature and your heightened senses. Being truly present in front of a pond of peeping frogs. I love the ocean. It’s such a difference going in the water with sobriety under your belt. Just a couple of weeks sober. Again, it’s magical.

I have to get back to the ocean... like... now!! And a hot climate.

Viper
Old 04-06-2018, 04:33 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rowlands1 View Post
Evening ...
Just checking in
6 weeks today !
One day behind you Jay Tee !
I went out with a group of girlfriends...first time since quitting ...
I drove ..best option ..no need to give reasons why I wasn't drinking.
On a positive note ..I had quite a few compliments on how radiant my skin was looking & noticed I'd lost abit of weight !
Yay positive !
Have a Great Weekend xx
6 weeks is amazing. You’re a non-drinker!
Old 04-06-2018, 04:33 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

20 days

Feeling tops
Old 04-06-2018, 06:46 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Awesome, Rowlands! 6 weeks in an amazing accomplishment.

We are flying home tomorrow from our Spring Break vacation. It’s been a great family trip. I most notice the effects of sobriety on my parenting - I am so much more calm, confident, prone to laughter, slower to irritate, spontaneous, adaptable... I could go on and on.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:49 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by birdie11 View Post
I most notice the effects of sobriety on my parenting - I am so much more calm, confident, prone to laughter, slower to irritate, spontaneous, adaptable... I could go on and on.
I can certainly relate
Old 04-06-2018, 10:13 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveHateWhine View Post
Hi everyone. Just got home after a long week on the road. Looking forward to sleeping in my own bed for a week or so.

Some coworkers have been kicking around the idea of all of us trying to go two entire weeks without using social media of any kind. That means no unnecessary emails or texts such when in hotels such as as “I’m downstairs waiting for you.”
Rely on good old fashioned communication. No surfing the Internet, even, just try to do things the way it was all done 20 years ago. Pick up the phone and call someone instead of sending them an email. Things like that. No checking emails the first thing in the morning, etc. I know ground rules will have to be established and of course, a lot will be on the honor system.

If I decide to join in, I will let you guys know, because I’m pretty sure that would include not posting on here, too. I guess? Is this considered social media or does social media just mean things like Twitter and Facebook? Shows how little I know. I have people in my firm who call me, leave a voice mail, then send me an email, then send me a text. Instant gratification I suppose. Leave me the voice mail, I’ll call back when I can. Sending an e-mail and text right after won’t make me call back any faster, but they do it anyway.

Congrats to everyone who has achieved a milestone and welcome back to those who are returning.

Off to sit in front of the TV for awhile.

LHW
Hi LHW! I recently unplugged myself from social media... I was getting really triggered by Facebook (surprisingly it was the news and state of the world and NOT my friends' drunk posts but hey it was triggering), and I had been just feeling like I'm too too plugged in! I think it's up to you what you consider to be social media but I drew a hard line in the sand at this site because this is linked directly to my recovery and I really look at it as a ritual in my day almost like journaling. I often journal on a more personal level after I check in here so yeah it does feel like something between checking email and journaling...

Alls I'm sayin is, if you are pretending like it's 20 years ago, this site would kind of be like you getting on the computer once a day-ish like 20 years ago?

I do think it'll be great to unplug but yeah I hope you do let yourself come see us if you feel like you need support.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:26 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Anyhoo. Hi y'all, I'm checking in after yet another few challenging days! Had dinner in the garden after the shed painting was completed. Had a huge meal and declined all the wine. Went to an awkward party last night and drank so much Dr Pepper because drinking something was something to do and I can't believe I even slept last night

I have really been enjoying my inner rational voice. My ability to premeditate and carry out a plan and actually execute a positive attitude which then shapes a good day for me and those directly interacting with me has been a real pleasure in these past few weeks. However, my AV kicked in pretty loud tonight! I caught myself just about to order a martini after work! I quickly made a cup of peppermint tea, ate my dinner, and then felt good enough to come straight home and open some ice cream and check in here with you. I have ambushed myself like that before and I have even acted out of habit without realizing I was doing it until the deed was done before.

All I can do is feel really good I resisted and continue to enjoy this positive feeling I have been cultivating over this past week. My body hurts and I think I could use some yoga and a massage. Maybe soon I can reward myself with the latter. The yoga I just need to motivate for.

I hope everyone new and not so new is doing well. Thanks for reading/listening

Plenny
Old 04-06-2018, 10:39 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Oh I forgot — I just got my paycheck and I’m going to make a list of what to do with it, since I know I won’t be drinking and senselessly spending money on drinks/cabs/food for hangovers. It’s great to know I can toss a healthy chunk of my check at my looming divorce debt
Old 04-07-2018, 05:03 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Having a tough day today. Work has been extremely stressful this week and normally I wouldve pounded beers until I was comatose as a result of it. I'm staying strong though and won't touch a drop, just need to find another outlet for this stress. Finding stuff to do on weekends can be difficult but I know how disappointed I'll be with myself if I cave. I think I'll go hang out at the beach for awhile and clear my head.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:48 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Day 40.Im going to take the time i have over the next 2 days (my family is out of town),to figure out my plan going ahead in life.Sure would like to get to 11 yrs sober!!!!!Respect the process!!!Hope everyone has a peaceful day.Cheers!
Old 04-07-2018, 07:10 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Plenny - I found that a mug of hot whole milk with grated nutmeg on top shut my AV up the other night. I was amazed and grateful because I was about to run to the store for a pint of ice cream - really don't need the high fat and sugar calories or temporary sugar high. I don't usually buy whole milk but had some in the house to make some pudding last weekend. Definitely think that the whole fat creamy flavor made the difference.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:30 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I’m feeling ok. A bit drowsy after breakfast so I’m taking a nap. I’m really glad I cleaned this back section of the house up and I’m in pristine bedding! Just 5-6 days and suddenly you go on a cleaning spree. I remember 60 days... how much I could get done. I’m on the right meds now, discovered and treated my bad vitamin deficiencies, I now know the exact diet I shouod eat, and I have way more perspective on my rumination and mental issues. 60 days now would be Game Changing!

Thanks everyone! Luv and peace.

Viper