Notices

Class Of March 2018 Support Thread - Part Three

Old 04-07-2018, 08:49 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Plenny sounds like you're doing great! Hope you get yourself a little treat from the cash you're saving from not drinking!

Pete, sorry you had a stressful week at work. Hope you enjoy some time outdoors. Stay strong!

Max congrats on 40 days! Enjoy your alone time to sort out your plan moving forward.

Viper sounds like you are on a great path. Keep it up!

Hope everyone's having a good weekend. We had plans with family today, but half the family (my son and I) are at home with the flu instead. Fun times! Hopefully it won't last long!
Old 04-07-2018, 09:58 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveHateWhine View Post
Dee - absolutely! I would still check in here if need be!!!!! I just might not post daily stuff that I’m doing, things like that if we all do it.

The idea is still floating around our team anyway. One guy is having a very hard time with the thought of not checking emails on a hourly basis. It is kind of amazing how dependent we have all become on stuff like this. I even suggested that perhaps we just don’t check emails from our phone, we wait until we get to the office and use our desktop PC. We will see. Might be fun, maybe not.

And I remember very clearly the days of having to find a pay phone while on the road to call in to the secretary for phone messages!!!

LHW
Oops don't know how I missed this. Ha enjoy being unplugged!
Old 04-07-2018, 11:29 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

So... I just applied to become a notary. I've never done work like that before but I feel like it could fit in to my life and supplement my income, and perhaps become something I can do as I get older as well. Does anyone in the thread know anything about this kind of work? I am good friends with a notary but I am very curious about others' experiences or any stories that are out there.

I've been mulling it over loosely for a while, but today while on the phone with said friend, I just started filling out the application online and boom there I was paying the application fee, so yeah I guess I'm an applicant! She says it's not a huge time or financial investment, and what's wrong with having another skill to fall back on?

I'm feeling a bit impulsive but in a sort of responsible way? This is indeed a strange day
Old 04-07-2018, 11:31 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

JayTee, looks like I'm treating myself to a notary License? hahaha
Old 04-07-2018, 11:35 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Woke up startled early this morning, feeling embarassed about drinking and sending texts and random photos to some guy I know who texted back he couldn't talk to me. It was horrible! Slowly it dawns on me... I wasn't drinking. Haven't for two weeks. I haven't sent those texts. And I didn't (and wouldn't ever) send photos.

Went back to sleep, back to a better dream. Not drinking is great!
On to day 14, wonder what this night brings.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:38 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Checking in on this Saturday afternoon.

Going out to dinner tonight with a couple I haven’t seen in several years, I was in their wedding almost 35 years ago!!! Geez. Was looking at a picture they sent me the other day, as I was a bridesmaid. I looked like a teenager, even though I was in my twenties. Time sure does fly. And my hair!!! LOL. I really thought it was hot looking back then and now...LOL. Will be good to catch up.

Been spending the day cleaning the house before they come over. I slept till 10:30am, this last business trip really wore me out. Thankfully I am home for another week before taking off again.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:19 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Currently at a friend's annual fish fry. Last year i came with a huge container of hurricane punch. Today I came with cookies. Having a hard time. They have raspberry lemonade and vodka, beers everywhere including many of my favorite kinds. I accidentally got here early and they just started cooking. Got lemonade in a red solo cup and feel a little better but the social anxiety is rough. Wishing I had got here later. Why can't i moderate this stupid thing instead of abstaining altogether. Oh well. I will not drink.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:39 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

You can do it GBE......good for you with the lemonade in the red solo cup! You will feel great later on and in the morning, try to look at it that way. Good job checking in here.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:52 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I admire all of you whose social circles involve a lot of situations where there's drinking. You're very strong! I feel fortunate right now that most of my friends are non-drinkers or very light drinkers.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:33 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by goodbyeevan View Post
Why can't i moderate this stupid thing instead of abstaining altogether. Oh well. I will not drink.
Classic AV. Be really aware of these thoughts creeping in. Good on you for staying strong
Old 04-07-2018, 02:42 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Plenny, I think the Notary license is a great thing to do. You know, even if you don’t make much money right now, everyone needs a Notary sooner or later. Even if you’re using it as an informal barter, your friends, coworkers, etc., are all going to hit you up. Maybe you’ll get something in return for helping them out. That empty condo in Culebra is just sitting there

One of my regrets is not gong on to Law School after I did Trinity College in Connecticut at 40 years old. People say, “Huh?? There’s no jobs for lawyers!! They’re all working in coffee shops.” That’s because you need to be smart, tough, and creative. At this point I’d become Saul Goodman. I don’t care anymore. I can’t be broke any longer.

Today was ok. Napped out. I got food. All stuff within my diet pretty much. I’m chipping away at the improvemts I need to make. The Life Coach says I’m spiraling UP. Not down. That’s a good way to look at it. She wants me to go back to my therapist to work some stuff out. I need to to move forward more quickly. It’s not stuff I like talking about. Painful.

Ok well the Brussels sprouts and Tandori Roasted Wings (Whole Foods hot bar) are not going microwave themselves! I’ll check in later.

Viper
Old 04-07-2018, 04:48 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Spiralling up is awesome Viper! And your dinner sounds delicious!
Old 04-07-2018, 05:13 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

There is literally nothing better right now than being home in fleece pajamas after a hot shower with a glass of sparkling grape juice with the rain beating on the tin roof.

Thanks for the encouragement, and yes the AV was there but I have worked too hard and lived in a nightmare for too long to listen to it. Easy to say now that I'm far away from the drinks! Grateful for you all and for another sober day.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:24 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

GBEvan, nothing like rain on a tin roof. My buddy has cabins up in VT, a stones throw from Canada. They all have those metal roofs, and when the rain comes down it’s fantastic. They are way out. You need to get in by boat or cross the ice. They are a rustic style, but nice. Gas for the lights, refridgertor, and stove. No phone, no internet, no cell. It’s lovely. Honestly if they offered I’d just move in to one and never leave. No one can call even call me there, never mind being bothered with Facebook. You can tell I love society. People I like, society not too much.

That dinner was delicious. They’ve been doing the Tandori Roasted Wings in the hot bar lately. Soooo good. Plus I got a pound of strawberries and my oat bars. Watched a Kevin Costner Western.

Night all.

Vipe
Old 04-07-2018, 08:32 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

GbEvan, I feel you, I was at a crawfish boil with barely anything to say the other night. I'm glad you got through and ended your day with a nice storm. I love a good storm.

Thank you, Viper. I guess I have always been 'creative' and 'cool' and even 'badass' but I suppose I will now be a 'public servant' too. Hahaha. I feel like in my town, it's still possible to be eccentric and a notary. I've always had some sort of side hustle under my hat. And as I get more of a client base (I have many friends who own their own business, real estate is booming here, etc) maybe I can make it more of a full time higher level gig that will allow me to also focus on my art, AND will be easier on my body. Restaurant work is already wearing me down.

Well I came home early and made some soup. I like to take miso, chicken bouillon, lemon juice, soy sauce, and sesame oil, and make a paste in the bottom of a bowl (the whole paste is about 3 tablespoons). Then I cut up veggies and cooked meats and and throw them in there too. Sometimes I add a cake of dry ramen noodles. Then I get about 2-3 cups of water to a rolling boil and pour it over all the ingredients in the bowl. I cover the whole thing with a plate and let it all steep for about 7-8 minutes. I uncover it and stir it, focusing on dissolving the paste in the bottom and loosening the noodles if I have them. Sometimes I throw in a soft boiled egg and/or some sesame seeds. Sometimes, especially if I'm sick, I mince some ginger and garlic to mix with the paste in the first step.
I started doing this at an old bar gig I used to work. I carried it through when I was trying to cook for myself after my divorce. I had trouble cooking for just one at first. I still love it and can make it for any number of guests. It's my bf's favorite dish that I make I think.
I'm still on the ice cream, despite the knowledge that eating ice cream every day is really best reserved for "La Dolce Vita"
Old 04-08-2018, 04:29 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Have had a nice weekend so far with my niece visiting us. She is 14 now and has visited once a year or more for atleast 8 years. Funny, this is probably only the second time she's visited that I wasn't drinking. I'm sure she has a lot of memories of me stumbling and slurring my speech over the years. It's been nice to go to lunch, putt putt, cook dinner, etc... without thinking about where and when I'm going to get my next drink the whole time.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:47 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

forgot to mention I'm on day 27, so 1 more day and maybe I can get cast in a movie with Sandra Bullock
Old 04-08-2018, 06:40 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Viper - I love the term spiraling up, very inspiring. Your friend’s cabin sounds really cool. I wonder if I could live in a place like that, I think maybe just for a year or so then I would miss society, even with all its annoyances.

GBE - Well done! Rain on a tin roof sounds so relaxing.

Plenny - that soup sounds delicious!

Pete - sounds like a nice weekend. Great job on 27 days! The memories we get to make now are so much better than those old days of embarrassing drunken behavior.

Well, we’re back from our vacation. Tomorrow everyone is back to school and work. I feel great right now with no thoughts of drinking but I know from past experience I should be very vigilant this week.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:16 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Good morning all

Did some intensive yin yoga this morning. I didn't sleep well, but it was my first night without nightmares. I dreamt that I went back to my gym where I was taking some great classes, and did really well. Not like perfect or professional, but I felt good doing it, and accomplished a great workout. So I might sign up for some more classes this week.

Can I really juggle all of this stuff I'm piling into my life?
My work schedule
My relationship
Art (commissions and personal work)
A fitness regiment
Pursuing a Notary license

I guess for a person without children this is doable? I suspect that my tendency to pile things on has overwhelmed me in the past. I should probably try to cap it at this point

Hope everyone has a great day
Old 04-08-2018, 08:14 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Good Morning everyone. Happy Sunday.

Plenny-that soup sounds awesome! I will have to try that.

This morning I made cinnamon sugar muffins and later today I am going to make a vegetable soup. I get so tired of eating out when on the road, that I like to cook when home. Not every day - but I make enough of something to put in the freezer. When I got home the other night, I was able to take some spaghetti sauce and meatballs out of the freezer that I made a few weeks ago.

Last night I went out to dinner with the couple I was friendly with years ago whom I mentioned in another post. Amazing how much people change over the years - I guess we all do, don’t we? The reservation was for 6:30pm and I was back home on my sofa by 8:00pm. It was a nice visit, caught up and went home - no lingering beyond dessert. Oh well. It was good to eat with someone and not by myself.

I have been trying to reach out to more people when I am home rather than complaining about being lonely. I guess the fact is people you were once good friends with many years ago all have moved on and have different lives with children and grandchildren and you find that you really longer have anything in common. So I will continue to try to make new friends.

Going to meet a gal I met recently for lunch and then we are going to a garden center. Even though it is still freezing cold here in the Mid Atlantic, I thought I would start to look at some plants for my porch. Hard to believe it is April and it was 29° when I woke up.

Everyone have a great day.