Notices

Class of January Support Thread 2018 Part 5

Old 03-17-2018, 12:13 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

hey Chase,

So good to see you, well done for winning against the AV.

I found your comments about joint pain really interesting because I have been experiencing the same thing and am wondering just how much alcohol was masking. I have a history of arthritis in my family too. I have noticed if I eat too much sugar the pain is much worse, so I think my diet is affecting my body’s inflammatory response.

I have a Drs appointment in a month and am going to investigate this further, but quite literally I feel your pain.

It’s so good to hear from you congratulations on 67 days.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:22 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for a heartfelt and meaningful post Scotty. Best wishes to you and your son

D
Old 03-17-2018, 04:53 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Chase, so glad you posted, and congratulations on 67 days!!! It's awesome to have you back.

Scottynz and Sunflower, belated congratulations on 60 days!

BTLover, great to see you!

Where are Milly and ubntubnt?

Checking in on day 90. I have to say, I'm feeling pretty good about that. Without a doubt, the main reason I've made it this far is SR, specifically this class (even though I'm technically a December, you guys are kind enough to overlook that little detail).

Yesterday was my first day in a LONG time without sugar. I tried to focus on eating low carb/higher protein with vegetables, plus I had a large coffee in the afternoon to help with this crushing fatigue I've been fighting...no opportunity for a catnap, boo hoo! This morning, I woke up early and couldn't get back to sleep, even though I tried. In the past, when I've reduced carbs and sugar, I found that I needed less sleep. I really hope that I'm still able to indulge in my last remaining vice: NAPS.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:54 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Hey Palmer. Congratulations on 90 days 🎉
Old 03-17-2018, 05:35 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats again PalmerSage

D
Old 03-17-2018, 06:01 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Good Morning, Class.

@Chase and @BTLover: So happy you guys popped by!

@Palmer: 90 Days - what an achievement! So proud of you. I'm also going low-carb from Monday! We can be sugar fighting buddies. haha I've just been finding it so difficult to stay on track and I feel that following a low-carb plan for a couple of weeks will be a good anchor for me to focus on cutting the crap and regaining control over my health and my waistline - and also addressing my reliance on food and comfort eating to deal with stress, which has become the fall back again now that alcohol is out of the equation. It's always tough to cut the carbs, but it is so effective!

Day 62 here. I hope everyone has a solid plan for St. Patrick's Day (for those who will be exposed to the alcohol centred celebrations of this holiday). I am working a short volunteer shift today, then this evening my husband and I are going to a festival style gig with music, games and food stalls. This event is running all day into the early hours for St. Patrick's Day. I hate St. Patrick's Day and especially now that I am not drinking, I'd much rather give the whole thing a wide berth, but my husband is really going through the mill at the moment and he loves these types of things, so I agreed to go with him under the condition we go at 6.30pm and leave before midnight. I intend on playing the outdoor games and enjoying the food stalls to avoid the alcohol, though I am not tempted at all to drink. All of the drunkenness and messiness of today makes me averse to cravings or AV tricks.

I hope everyone is keeping well.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:43 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. Yes NewChapter, let's be low-carb buddies! I have two slow cookers working right now for dinner, but I asked someone to bring dessert and I'm already like "oooh, I wonder what they'll get?" Haha. I hope your St. Patrick's Day festivities are bearable, and even enjoyable...at least you have food to look forward to!
Old 03-17-2018, 10:04 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Chase/Scotty - Interesting posts regarding inflammation/ joint issues. I don't have joint issues, but as you may know I've really been dealing with some tough GI issues. I'm not sure how alcohol contributed / masked these issues. I know it had to have had a part though. I'm doing much better now than I was 60 days ago, but I'm waiting for 90 days before I make any judgments about alcohols role.

Chase - about the possible hip surgery. I know everyone is glad to share (over share) their stories about such things . . . so let me overshare my hubby's experience - lol. He had a hip replacement in December and is so grateful to be free of pain in the hip and mobile again. Now he's anxious to have the other hip done and scheduled surgery for May. He is VERY much looking forward to it. I'm amazed at how easily he came through the first surgery and how happy he is with having it done. IF you do need surgery, I hope it goes as well for you.

Scotty - I'm truly in awe of your parenting skills and thoughtful post about your son. It's very inspiring.

CONGRATS to all of us on the other side of 60 days!!!!! Feels so good, right??

Palmer - 90 days!!!! Wooo whooo!!! Impressive! Given up sugar? Now that's a goal I can't even comprehend. Good luck. I'm looking forward to following that journey because I hope to do that someday too.

New Chapter - Good luck with your St Patty day adventures. I actually LOVE this day. Today I served green eggs and ham, with green milk and green butter for toast, to hubby today. It's a very unappetizing tradition. LOL. Hubby just rolls his eyes.

I'm heading to the family friendly 5K this afternoon that starts and ends at a pub. I wasn't going to go, but decided this morning I would. It's just so cute. The kids all dress and green and chase a man dressed as a leprechaun. How can I miss that? I'm bringing green food coloring to make my clear soda green too (since I WON'T be having green beer).

Then it's off to watch a friend play celtic music at a coffee house. FINALLY an event that won't include alcohol. FINALLY!
Old 03-17-2018, 10:30 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Speaking of events and alcohol . . . yet again . . . because it seems to be all consuming. . .

Last night I didn't go to a fundraiser/party event at a local museum even though I already paid for the ticket. Yesterday the organization shared on FB pictures of the appetizers and specialty drinks that they would be serving. The drinks looked so good. Too good. I had to stay home.

On Wednesday I was asked to participate in a public forum with a developer who is trying to build a rather controversial structure in our small town. It was a back and forth, q&a sort of thing. The developer and DNR shared a lot of information. I was glad I participated. It provided a lot of information for the public to weigh/digest.

But . . .

I was gifted a "thank you" for my participation. It was "drink tokens" for the bar across the street. It just felt very inappropriate. I stuffed it in my pocket, walked home and threw it out. Ug.

And . . .

I have to confess that my AV has been messing with me. I don't feel like I'm in any danger of driving to the liquor store and buying something. But lately I can't seem to trust my hand to listen to my brain. I'm afraid when a drink is right in front of me . . . free and easy . . . I might grab it before my brain kicks in. That's why I couldn't go to the fundraiser last night.

There's a crack there. My AV is starting to slip into it. I will be very, very careful this next week or two to close that gap.

Happy Sober St Paddy's Day Weekend follow sobermates!!!
Old 03-17-2018, 02:13 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone,

Palmer Sage 90 days is brilliant - we are all so proud of you.

Thanks everyone for your supportive comments about my son. I just love him to bits, strange little (actually now big) creature that he is. That boy has opened my eyes to so many things, I changed careers because of the things he has taught me. I will always be sad he didn’t get to know his Dad who had such a gift with kids, but boy do I see him in his son everyday.

@milly you have such strength in the face of your many social events where alcohol is around. That AV sure knows how to seep into the cracks and I think the further we get away from having had a drink the more it likes to try to convince us that ‘just one’ is ok or we have now proved we don’t have to drink that we can do it in moderation. You are so wise to recognise it as a dangerous time and really well done for not going to that fundraiser.

@Sunflower, last night I had a weird dream, I ordered a non alcoholic cocktail and they messed up and put alcohol in it and I drank it without realising. In the dream all I could think was ‘oh no this means I won’t be Sunflower’s sober twin any more’.

@ numblady, I echo what someone else said, your support to me means the world, but there is no sliding scale when it comes to our triggers and stressors, whatever the cause a tough day is a tough day and we are here for each other.

@Palmer & Chase I just cannot get this sugar thing beat. It is a familiar pattern to my drinking, and the sugar voice is a powerful beast, now Easter is looming with all the sugar treats. I am going to try to join you guys after Easter!

ok time to get up and going here on this lazy sunday morning.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:25 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Hey all! So much to say but up too late already and have a long trip back tomorrow morning. Will hopefully post from the road.

Just mainly wanted to say congrats to Palmer on 90 days!! I was thinking just the other night how glad I am you post so much in this group. I didn’t even realize you were technically a December but can i just say how glad I am you visit this group so regularly?

I am glad for all of you. And it’s really cool to see some of you like Chase who post less frequently.

Was really pretty wonderful spending St. Pat’s day totally sober. I spent all afternoon cooking to be a helpful person and at each point I would otherwise have started drinking I just kept doing something that was as useful as possible. As my kids got tired instead of being bummed that I had to leave the party and stop drinking I was ready to go and hit the hay. I was as present as I could be for all my conversations in a loud crowded pub and i’m really proud of my sister and her husband for opening it! Thanks for the support when I was struggling especially yesterday. Strange how some days are worse than others.

But then it always passes.

May it keep passing us by until it just doesn’t come around any more. Or at least not very often!

Xxxooo
Old 03-17-2018, 10:25 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Hey class. I hope you all had a safe, calm, and fun St. Paddy’s day. I hosted a sleepover with 6 10-12 yr old girls. It’s nice to be sober and present. Although right now I’m annoyed and tired, I can’t believe most of them are still awake at 1:20 am.

Palmer - congrats on crossing 90 days!!! I’m glad your beer thoughts were only a dream. I haven’t had drinking dreams in a few weeks, and I’m glad!
Sunflower - yay 60 days! I’m jealous of your swimming weather.
NumbLady- awesome self care article. I need to work on that. And I share a common love for Swedish fish!
Scotty - way to pass 60 days! I’m sorry to read about the rough night with your son, but glad you both are okay.
Chase - good to see you. Congrats on 68 days.
BT - great to see you, keep that AV at bay is it’s been quiet.
NewChapter - way to go on 62 days.
Milly - I hope the 5k was great!

Have a great night/morning. Goodnight class.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:38 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to all those hitting 60 days or more

D
Old 03-18-2018, 05:27 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Numblady, way to focus on the positive and get through (even enjoy) the evening! Your post reminds me of AA-ers who recommend "service," I can see how it gets people out of their own head and pushes back against some of the selfish impulses we had while drinking. And as far as the December class, I quit a week before Christmas and I remember thinking, "that group is already so established, plus the January group will be huge, so lots of support!" So you guys are stuck with me.

Hi Komplex! I know what you mean about the sleepovers, they start out fun and then it gets old...I hope you have a nice nap after all the little monsters finally go home!

Milly, I've said it before, your social schedule is amazing, it sounds like you're involved with so many things, and know so many people! I'm happy that one of your activities finally landed in a coffee bar.

Day 91. My low-carb, no-sugar, great mood day didn't go as well as I'd hoped...although I was much better, I did have some sugar and was irritated most of the day. If I'd thought about it, I would have started this during the week because I generally do better when I'm out and about. However, I did have a fairly productive day and an OK evening, despite tension with my husband. My plan for today is to have a good breakfast, and plan something small to get me out of the chore-fest which is my house. Maybe a movie with one of my kids?
Old 03-18-2018, 12:12 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Hi Class,

Just a ‘drive-by’ check in for me tonight. I’m so happy to hear everyone made it through their respective celebrations and events yesterday.

I’ll have more time for a proper catch up tomorrow, have a great evening all.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:05 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Hi all. Quick check in for accountability. Very busy here. Moving this week 😬
Old 03-18-2018, 05:41 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Good luck with the move Sunflower.
Burthday Party was a success. Picking up my 60 Day chip tomorrow. 😄
Old 03-18-2018, 05:52 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  
Administrator

good luck sunflower

congrats again Komplex!
Old 03-18-2018, 07:29 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Also a quick drive by here! Made it back to Texas in record time. and by record time I mean super extra slow! JK it actually wasn't all that bad but I'm a little freaked out that I'm expected to return to reality tomorrow. What a bummer.

Komplex that sounds so wonderful. I know it will feel so good to be surrounded by the people from your meeting and get that chip. What an accomplishment!

Sunflower, good luck with the move. Great idea to check in just for accountability even if only quickly.

Palmer I am following you and others as you try to make healthy eating choices. I don't know what it is but it's like even though I've been waking up with a headache a lot and don't feel all that great I'm panicked about examining my relationship with caffeine. Or sugar. Or sodium. I just can't do it! But I'm starting to think I'm getting closer to at least trying to loosely keep track of caloric intake.

Scotty, it was so kind what you said about triggers being real, and also what you said about changing careers for all you learned from your son. I think of you sometimes when I'm dealing with my son. It's on such a smaller scale but he's ADHD and sometimes things like putting on shoes are A VERY BIG DEAL even at the age of ten. You inspire me to try and shift my perspective -- at least a little!

Milly it sucks that AV is trying to sneak in there. But I'm so impressed that you're noticing it and also taking steps to stay in control. It's ridic how ingrained alcohol is. I remember a podcast where one of the woman basically challenged people to try and find a birthday card for a woman that wasn't about booze or something else. I forgot the something else but anyhow for some reason hearing about getting the drink coupons made me think of that.

Chase sorry for the possible arthritis. That sounds debilitating and I hope for you it's mild or nonexistent -- or can be improved somehow.

NC good to see you and hope work is not slamming you too hard this week!

Well speaking of not examining my relationship with food my stomach is growling like crazy so I'm going to get a snack. Eating right before bed is totally recommended, right?

Sleep tight and hi to all I missed. Go class!
Old 03-19-2018, 02:19 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Just a fly by. I will be missing in action for a few days as this is my really busy week, but will pop in to read.

@numblady. I work with a lot of people with ASD and ADHD so I can imagine how big a deal the shoes can be. I read an interesting article about the positive side of ADHD you might find interesting https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/17/o...ore-ipad-share

Keep well everyone.