Notices

Class of January Support Thread 2018 Part 5

Old 03-11-2018, 04:15 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

So quiet this weekend. I hope everyone is ok. Check in please.
Up at 4 this morning. I couldn’t sleep for some reason. It’s nice to have some peace and quiet though. I feel like I’ve been using busyness as a replacement for drinking and I’m a little concerned that I’ll crash after we are done moving. That’s usually my MO. I gues I’ll keep it one day at a time and just focus on today.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:15 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Sunflower, we will help make sure you don't crash once you're done! It is super quiet here, hope everyone checks in soon.

Day 84. I got very little sleep last night, and feel like a zombie. Luckily, I will be able to take a nice nap this afternoon and possibly make dinner for the extended family tonight...or not, depending on how I feel. It's funny, I almost feel hungover, minus the shakiness and anxiety, of course. It's a cold, sunny day here, which is nice. I'll check in a bit later once my head is on straight.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:44 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

good morning! Travel went pretty well yesterday but by the time I laid my head on the pillow I totally crashed. It is nice seeing family. There was one annoying moment when my daughter was telling everyone how I am lazy and lay in bed and read and drink water. And I made a joke about how I’m so lazy I don’t even want to lift my head up to drink the water. But my kid kind of mumbled and my grandma said she thought my daughter said wine. Like as in when I emphasized the water drinking she didn’t exactly believe me. Noooooo! I want credit for actually drinking water at night!! anyhow I figure I’m ultimately doing it for me and my health as a person and citizen of this earth so even if people believe I am guzzling wine by my bedside it doesn’t really matter. Our truth is always mostly a personal thing. And I feel like I probably got a lot of good credit for being a normal drinker that was pretty undeserved so maybe stuff like this balances it out somehow

Will try to check back in later! Have a great day and sorry you all slept poorly Sunflower and Palmersage
Old 03-11-2018, 08:44 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Palmer we can be Zombies together today
Old 03-11-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I know I don’t post much, but I do check in a read the postings daily,and yes it has been a very quiet weekend on here. Hopefully everyone is doing well and just having a busy weekend!! Day 70 and feeling great��
Old 03-11-2018, 01:58 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hi Class,

Another ‘drive-by’ check in for me. Just back from our weekend away and we truly had a wonderful time, even if it did take us a while to settle in and switch off from work stress.

I’ve packed my gym bag for the morning and prepared a healthy lunch so that I can start the week off right. This week’s goal is to eat right and get to the gym and yoga. I need to re-establish my healthy routines more than ever to get me through these challenging times with the business, to make sure I’m taking care of my mental and physical health and to ensure that my tool kit is fully stocked so that the AV doesn’t get a chance to leverage any negative feelings of stress, worry or low self-esteem!

I hope you’ve all had a fulfilling, sober weekend!
Old 03-11-2018, 02:00 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Sunflower, did you get a nap? I actually had two short ones, but I still feel groggy and listless. Is it bedtime yet? Haha. Numblady, you are so right that we've probably gotten false credit for being normal drinkers, or sober when we were actually drunk, but it still feels so unfair!

BT, great to see you! Congrats on 70 days, that's awesome.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:02 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

NewChapter, I feel like I often post at the same time as you. I'm so glad that you guys had a relaxing time, and that you have a plan as you enter the new week. I didn't get on the treadmill yesterday, but I definitely will tonight.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:04 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PalmerSage View Post
NewChapter, I feel like I often post at the same time as you. I'm so glad that you guys had a relaxing time, and that you have a plan as you enter the new week. I didn't get on the treadmill yesterday, but I definitely will tonight.
Yes me too - posting buddies!! :-) Don’t be too hard on yourself, it is the weekend after all and getting on the treadmill tonight will make you feel better!
Old 03-11-2018, 04:49 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday night classmates. I’m glad to wrap this week up, it hasn’t been my best. I’ve made it though, Day 52 in the books. Take care friends, and have a great week!!!
Old 03-11-2018, 05:31 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

hi folks just checking in, had a busy weekend but all good. Monday morning here, start of a new week. Will find time later to read back through all the posts for now just saying hi!
Old 03-11-2018, 06:40 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Komplex and ubntubnt, so glad you checked in! Despite my naps, I'm tucked in for an early bedtime after I spend some time reading. The treadmill helped tremendously, as always.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:52 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Just a moment to catch my breath after some very busy days. In fact life is not going to settle down for a wee while, but I am better when busy, I get lethargic and unmotivated when I’m not.

I just wanted to share my small journey into non alcoholic alcohol drinks. Now beer was never my choice of poison, I have probably had maybe 6 beers in the last decade, I’ve been on complete alcohol benders and still not touched beers left over from a bbq after the rest of the booze ran out.

Soo I went out for dinner to a place that had a new, no alcohol, no carb beer and they didn’t have cranberry and so I ordered one. Quite a pleasant taste, I hate sweet drinks so hit the spot. The next day at my supermarket another brand of zero alcohol beer was on special, I bought a 3 pack. I have had one a night while cooking dinner, just like I did with my wine.

And hellooooo AV, it’s like I kicked a sleeping tiger, I’ve got a real case of the ‘go up to the bottle store, get a 6 pack of zero beer, it’s not alcohol so you could drink them all, no harm no foul’.

So I am stepping away from the zero alcohol stuff, because I am working hard to get away from those old habits and this feels dangerous for me.

No judgement for anyone who enjoys them , this is a purely personal response, I’ve barely thought about drinking in the last week and suddenly it is front and centre and even the empties look kind of comfortingly familiar.

Back to the cranberry and soda for me.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:57 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Administrator

That was my experience too Scotty. Even the no alcohol beer ticked all the boxes behaviour wise for me.

D
Old 03-12-2018, 03:02 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

scottynz, thank you so much for posting that. I avoid NA beers for exactly the reasons you mentioned, it's just too close for comfort and in my case, I do like beer so there's that. Even typing that seems odd, I feel like I should say I "did" like beer since I don't drink anymore? Anyway, good for you for recognizing your own patterns and habits.

Day 85 here. In some ways, I feel like yesterday was a "lost" day because first I was exhausted, and then I was groggy from napping...but stepping on the treadmill made me feel infinitely better, and I'm watching a show on Netflix that I look forward to, which is great.

I woke up at 5:30 this morning, dreading the thought of going to work. In many ways, my job is ideal because I've mastered so many elements of my profession simply because I've been in this field for a long time and have key support from my boss and others. Of course, some sense of boredom and complacency accompany that, so it's often hard for me to really engage and try my best. Overall though, I'm thankful for the stability, support and camaraderie right now, which I need to not take for granted. It allows me to be productive without taxing me too much in early sobriety, even though it doesn't present as many interesting challenges anymore.

This week, I want to focus on preparing healthy dinners that I can simply throw in the slow cooker; I've had some good luck with soups, and that way I can relax in the evenings when I'm not feeling as motivated. I also need to make sure I'm drinking enough water, which has a significant impact on my feelings of health and well-being.

I'll be here off and on all day, and hope everyone can post an update, even if it's just a quick drive-by.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:01 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Well, that was one truly horrible, horrible day. I didn't drink thankfully. Bills coming out of nowhere, totally overloaded at work, ex wife issues, school fees to pay, wife stress, parents in law driving me mad. All in one day. And to top it all off....and you are not going to believe this......came home to find the new puppy limping. The mother in law dropped him so I brought him to the vet and his goddam leg is broken! Unbelievable. He is booked in for surgery tomorrow, the poor little thing. I am going to spend the next hour reading with my son, try to get the dog asleep and then I am going to punch something hard. Nite everyone, here is to a better day tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:28 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Untubnt that is awful. I’m surprised the leg broke from being dropped. Good on you that you didn’t layer stress and shame of booze on top.

BT thanks for the quick update and congrats! I guess I am a day or two behind you. Depending on when you posted. I’m always so confused by the time stamps. It’s day 69 for me.

Sunflower hope you got some rest.

Palmer and NC y’all not only post at the same time, you all have such healthy ambitious plans. It’s impressive!

Scotty that is good insight on your part. It’s interesting how different this is for everybody. I also wasn’t much of a beer person. I bought a 6 pack of NA beer about a month ago. Last week I finally cracked one open. Drank a third of it. Decided it was gross. I guess we end up in the same place though. I think cranberry and soda is way better!

Hi to Dee and everyone else! Hope I didn’t forget any posters. I still think regularly about what is happening with some who have seemingly stopped altogether.

I’ll try to be back later. I’m going to drag myself through a quick workout and then my parents, my kids, and I are all driving back to their house in Arkansas. Last night my mom kept offering me prosecco and my grandma assumed I was looking for a wine glass when I opened the cabinet soooo I guess they still think I’m a lush. I told my mom I was on a break of indefinite duration but at least 100 days. She really only commented that it was a long time. Strange how AV can wedge itself into cracks like this. That because I thought they probably all were super worried about my drinking but apparently just think 100 days is a long time for me to go without booze that somehow I wasn’t so bad. I guess she did ask me why I was doing it so maybe that was her way of seeing if I thought I had a problem in a non judgmental way. Oh well. Even if no one saw it I sure did. And I felt it along with Shame and self loathing. So that should be enough.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:41 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Good morning. ☀️

UB I’m so sorry about your day yesterday, especially your puppy. That’s so sad.

Scotty thank you for your post. I agree about the non alcoholic beer. I don’t want to open that can of worms. I’m so glad you recognized your AV and shut it down!

Hey Palmer !
Old 03-12-2018, 06:41 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hey NumbLady!!!
Old 03-12-2018, 07:09 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

UBNT - sorry yesterday sucked. Hope today is better and the puppy’s surgery goes well.

Scotty - thanks for sharing about the NA beer.

NumbLady, newchapter, Palmer, BT, Sunflower, and anyone else reading- Hello! Have a great day!! 😁